Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Study on wakesurf boats/shoreline

This popped up on my phone under Google news. It makes me nervous and have questions about the study.

https://kstp.com/uncategorized/study...reduce-impact/

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

The study was very vague. Surf boat vs non surf boat. Pretty flawed in my opinion. Now if you compared a 23 foot wake boat and included factory weight plus ballast (if used)and compared to a 23 foot cuddly cabin, including its factory weight. That would be a starting point. What are they considering a wake surf boat? You can surf an OBV or a loaded SE. I am sure the waves would be vastly different. Those are just rough examples. My point is this study is horrible. I feel almost as bad for the students as I do the Wakesurfer community. Feels more like a witch hunt than a sound scientific study. Very flawed in my opinion.

if you were to compare a supra se loaded down and a 25ft cuddy cabin, the wave from the cuddy at 18 is going to be just as powerful and large as the wave from the supra at 12. they won't talk about that tho. running up and down the fox river I ran across too many cruisers running in the 15-25 range that can toss a pretty decent wave that looked like it would surf great.

my .02... what's driving all of this are that almost every wake boat has 1000watts driving 4 hlcd tower speakers and loaded up with 10 or 12 people all carrying on and having a good time. couple a soundtrack that most don't want to listen to from their docks and owners surfing too close to shore and you have a recipe for all the pushback on surf boats... wakes just happen to be the easy target to remove what some call a nuisance.

owner "x" has a teenage neighbor kid that comes home next door from his night job every night blasting too short from his dual12's. betting at some point owner "x" either calls cops or goes and talks to 'rents to fix issue. same owner "x" loads up the boat on the weekend, heads to the lake and blasts marshmello from his hlcd's on the lake that is lined with houses.

inconsiderate morons will be the death of the sport on some lakes.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

A lot of it is the “get off my lawn” attitude.

Having lived on a lake for 18 years with a strict no “on plane” boating before 11am or after 7pm policy. Many who liked the tow sports were directly opposed to the fishing crowd.

It was annoying, but you learn to deal with it.

Funny part was wake surfing in not on plane so you could do it and not get ticketed.

It boils down to being respectful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Default Study on wakesurf boats/shoreline

One last thing, Fishermen can be just as “reckless” as tow sports.

They have knocked my dock out of place with their boats, snagged lures on my pontoon boat, boat covers, around my jet ski handle bars and on my dock.

Was often in the yard when they did it without apologies and then got pissed when I didn’t untangle their lures or give them back.

Last beef is the one lake i frequent has fishing tournaments, what a shitshow those are.

Bass boats racing around the lake at 50mph (lake speed limit is posted at 35), then when the weigh in occurs, they set up a booth right on the boat ramp, 20+ boats beached around the boat ramps (2 lane launch) for about an hour.

No launching or leaving during that PLUS having to wait until they all pull their 20 boats out.

Then they dump their fish out at the dock, some live, most die and the launch is littered with dead fish and the next 3 weeks it reeks as they sink and rot at the ramp.

Happens about once a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by larry_arizona; 02-03-2022 at 03:24 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    if you were to compare a supra se loaded down and a 25ft cuddy cabin, the wave from the cuddy at 18 is going to be just as powerful and large as the wave from the supra at 12. they won't talk about that tho. running up and down the fox river I ran across too many cruisers running in the 15-25 range that can toss a pretty decent wave that looked like it would surf great.

my .02... what's driving all of this are that almost every wake boat has 1000watts driving 4 hlcd tower speakers and loaded up with 10 or 12 people all carrying on and having a good time. couple a soundtrack that most don't want to listen to from their docks and owners surfing too close to shore and you have a recipe for all the pushback on surf boats... wakes just happen to be the easy target to remove what some call a nuisance.

owner "x" has a teenage neighbor kid that comes home next door from his night job every night blasting too short from his dual12's. betting at some point owner "x" either calls cops or goes and talks to 'rents to fix issue. same owner "x" loads up the boat on the weekend, heads to the lake and blasts marshmello from his hlcd's on the lake that is lined with houses.

inconsiderate morons will be the death of the sport on some lakes.
    I think you are on target! Getting the EPA or River Keepers to fight the battle for them....

2021 Moomba Makai

My friend lives on the Minocqua chain on a small lake (Mid Lake)..Big push to ban / discourage surfing on his lake. The residents claim it stirs up the lake and ruins the shoreline. Jet skis are far more welcome. No mention of loud stereos..

As folks continue to add more lead more weight for bigger waves (far bigger waves than they need to surf) I suspect lake associations will start pushing back and implementing restrictions on surf boats.

As much as I am anti-loud stereo, none of this push back has much to do with loud stereos. ... It really is the large waves these boats put off….
    Last edited by brad460; 02-03-2022 at 08:05 PM.
    2021 Moomba Max

Quote Originally Posted by brad460 View Post
    My friend lives on the Minocqua chain on a small lake (Mid Lake)..Big push to ban / discourage surfing on his lake. The residents claim it stirs up the lake and ruins the shoreline. Jet skis are far more welcome. No mention of loud stereos..

As folks continue to add more lead more weight for bigger waves (far bigger waves than they need to surf) I suspect lake associations will start pushing back and implementing restrictions on surf boats.

As much as I am anti-loud stereo, none of this push back has much to do with loud stereos. ... It really is the large waves these boats put off….
    my experience has been that loud stereos garner more bitching than wakes but loud stereos won't get ANY traction during the daytime hours where wakesurf waves can be fought and stand a better chance of victory both day and night. get rid of wakeboats and you kill 2 birds theory and waves are easier to go after.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

The mention of larger boats , cabin cruisers, making just as large or larger wakes is spot on. Why pick on a wake boat? When running in wake mode, the wave is large, but also slow traveling. Also only one sided if set properly. A cruiser will throw huge wake on both sides and it travels at a much faster speed.

2021 Moomba Makai

Yea I remember this surfing vid behind a big cruiser. Wave was like 5’ tall in some sections lol! Our lake has been eroding LONG before surf boats were ever a thing. The more open areas on the lake where wind is constant and stronger fair far worse erosion because it stays choppy and waves stacked up. Only thing we can do I be mindful about our waves and be respectful about peoples property, which we always do. Don’t even get me started on bass boats ripping 70+ mph cutting corners around bends and the crap they do to endanger people for a fish.

Last edited by haknslash; 02-06-2022 at 10:33 AM.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold