Default Boat won't start

I am getting ready to launch the boat this weekend, just finishing getting everything ready. When I turned the key, I got nothing, not even a click. I know the batteries are good because I had them on a trickle charger on and off all winter. The CD player works and I used a voltmeter to double check I had a good current - 12 V.

Because I don't here anything when I turn the key, I am assuming the starter is bad. My question is, am I able to replace it with an automotive starter? I have a 2000 Kamberra with the Indmar Assault, V8.

Any suggestions would be great. I was hoping to put her in this weekend. Thank you in advance!

Nate

Don't use an automotive starter. Marine starters and alternators have extra stuff to prevent sparks so that you don't blow up your boat. Take it to a your local starter/alternator rebuilding shop and they can rebuild it in a day for short money. If the bendix unit it isn't even going click, you might just have a bad connection or popped breaker.

Thank you for the reply NH Moomba.

my brother looking at the boat right now and said everything (starter) is really corroded. He said he isnt sure if he can even get it off because the screws holding it in place look pretty bad.

He is going to try to 'jump' the starter right now and let me know if it works.

Can you give me an idea where the breaker might be? And if I can troubleshoot that as well?

Thanks!

I have a 2000 Kamberra, and my breaker is under the dash

I ended up taking hte boat in and had the starter and relay replaced with new. The mechanic told me the old one was completely useless and plenty of rusty water poured out of it.

Started first turn of hte key after I got it back.

Thanks guys!