Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Moomba Mojo vs Axis T23

I’ve read previous threads about Moomba vs Axis boats so I will try to not rehash previously discussed topics. I am debating a 2022 Moomba Mojo vs an Axis T23. I’ve sat in each but never been behind either. I’m a complete novice to the surf world but with young kids look forward to getting into it. Here in MN there’s a fairly big bias towards Axis it would appear. I believe that’s due to a very strong dealer so kudos to them. That said, I find the fit and finish lacking…especially for a 10-15% premium price. But I will say I rarely hear people speak ill of the wave of an Axis and I do hear some gripping about moombas. Can folks who run the ‘21 or ‘22 confirm they are getting a quality wave right out of the box? Or are you having to add lead and tinker with settings? I hear a lot of talk about Axis is so simple…surf left or surf right…one button plus a wedge setting. Moomba SEEMS every bit as simple from what I’ve been shown…am I missing something? I’d love to find some unbiased views. Thanks!

I have a 21 mojo. I can fill the bags to 100% and surf with just my wife and 6 year old on the boat but the wave is short. In order to get a longer wave i have added lead. I can't compare to axis wave because i have not ridden one. I looked at one arty the dealer bit wasn't impressed. The research i did also said the fuel economy on the gate boats was significantly less.

The T23 is an excellent surfboat. Although it is probably easier to set up for surfing, the disadvantages outweigh the benefits. I absolutely admire all boats and manufacturers, but we focused on Axis since that's what I wanted. Until I started looking at them, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigs28 View Post
    I have a 21 mojo. I can fill the bags to 100% and surf with just my wife and 6 year old on the boat but the wave is short. In order to get a longer wave i have added lead. I can't compare to axis wave because i have not ridden one. I looked at one arty the dealer bit wasn't impressed. The research i did also said the fuel economy on the gate boats was significantly less.
    How much weight does that require? This sounds like a situation I am likely to find myself in with young kids.

I had 500 lbs and it made a big difference. Obviously when we had a full boat the wave was even better so for Christmas i got another 500lbs that isn't in the boat yet. I didn't need it but i wanted it. Boat holds 2500lbs of people and gear. That creates allot of displacement. At the end of the day these boats are 100k now. 1% more for 1000lbs of lead seems like a no brainer. If it was a factory option like underwater lights im sure it would be selected 100% of the time.

Something to consider is Axis uses the wedge as ballast. I have heard many complaints and watched many online videos where there is very steep bow rise on the Axis. I have also read a lot of comments that state Moomba’s are surfable out of the box, but adding weight will really make a great wave come alive. I have not surfed either boat. Without adding any weight and not adjusting any settings, I have heard the Axis may be easier out of the box/stock. But, learning your boat and settings is part of the fun. I have sat in both in showrooms and I would lean toward a Moomba over Axis on build quality alone. Of course being on a Moomba site that will probably be the majority opinion.

shopped both in the past and came up with the following:

if you want the best wave hands down out of the box, axis will own moomba all day long. if you want a better fit/finish and boat you don't have to stand to drive all day long, buy the moomba and spend 2k in added lead/bags and you have a boat that will surf as well as the axis if not better AND a boat that is easier to drive and better finish.

one sit on an axis seat in '20 told us we would be buying the hardest, stiffest and most lazily built interior on the market had we gone with axis.
    they do sell a lot of boats tho.
    Last edited by sandm; 01-25-2022 at 10:35 AM.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Im comparing between a 2016 Axis T23 however even new really something no one has really mentioned is
    Cruising, seriously I can always beat my buddies axis to the dock and when we pass them they are thrashing and beating about sideways
    So overall ride quality basically which has to do with moombas auto wake go home settings and wake plates

His wave out of the box is better however no doubt about it. Now I've had 16 people in the completely stock boat and the wave is massive and much longer than the axis wave. I can surf consistently ridiculously far behind the boat where his wave is more of a wall. Now you can't ever fall out of his wave but my wave is for me much more enjoyable. At the point of a loaded down Moomba vs Axis it comes down to opinion.

But Moomba wins out in every other category imo
    Now if they would add some tech to the axis and reduce the price slightly it would have probably won me over.
    Josh
    2021 Mojo, Sold 7/15/22
    2023 Supreme S240, on order

Quote Originally Posted by Firsttimemoomba View Post
    How much weight does that require? This sounds like a situation I am likely to find myself in with young kids.
    Realistically, since you've never surfed before, either of these boats will seem like it puts out a good wave off the bat. Depending on how heavy you are and if you buy the right board for your weight, either boat would surf you just fine at the beginning. Once you start to get the hang of it and you want to start progressing, no matter what boat you buy, everyone is going to recommend you put more ballast in. That will allow you to get the bigger & longer wave to progress. Regardless of which one you buy. Honestly it comes down to pure preference, they look a little bit different & they cost a little bit different, but overall, they're going to operate very similarly. You asked this on a Moomba forum so 99% of the people on here are either going to have no experience with an Axis or just say Moomba cuz they like theirs. Personally, I would go Axis if I had the option and a similar price. This is because I prefer their bow design & if you're going to add weight either way, may as well start from a better starting point. Again though, either way I can guarantee you're going to add ballast too, just a matter of when not if.

Also, as to the comment about them cruising slower or getting thrashed about, it's been mentioned quite a few times on these forums as well that these boats are made for surfing. That means they're going to have poor fuel economy & the shape of the hull is not designed for a gentle trip across the water. No matter whether you get an Axis or a Moomba, it's not going to zip across the lake as fast or smoothly as an I/O.

I live in ND, but utilize the lakes in west - central MN. There are a few Axis boats around, but way more Moombas. If you have more Axis around your part of MN, that's impressive. They really must have a strong dealer wherever you are.

I love all boats, but i would NOT buy malibu or axis. I had my eye on a axis to start but once i got inside and checked it out the quality just isn't there for the price. I then looked at moomba and although the moomba needs more weight its fit and finish was 10x that of axis. Just be sure whatever you buy you have good dealer support first. Your buying the dealer too don't forget.

I added bigger bags, and some lead on my 19 mondo and i can surf it with one adult in the boat.