Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    181

    Default

    I feel the same way, Iím in the twin cities MN and I feel like the only moomba around. I ride a lot of different surf gate boats including a buddy who has a new T23. Being a novice and if youíre looking for a boat that will not require as much tinkering, the axis wins out a little bit on that a bit. But my buddies with surf gate boats still have to tinker to get a good wave. But thatís just messing with settings and weight distribution. The mojo will require adding more weight to get a good wave. I did that with a custom ballast set up and lead. You have a be just a little handy to do that and willing to spend the time, but itís not hard and there are people who have shared their new mojo set up with upgraded wakemakers bags.

    The waves are still different after doing all of that, so if you have friends who ride surf gate boats, get ready for them to come on your boat and say your wave isnít as good. Itís not, they are just used to the surf gate wave. They are different shapes and you have to ride in a different spot.

    Good luck, youíll enjoy either! I know I do.
    2016 Mojo surf edition
    1100lbs rear w/ 475lbs piggyback mid/ center 700lbs/ 500lbs IBS/ 600 lbs lead
    ACME 2315

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    north texas
    Posts
    1,132

    Default

    I have experience on a 2015 t22. The wave is very very steep. Might could be fixed with adjusting. The Moomba line has more of a roll. With added weight I like the Moomba wave better.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Supra SA

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schwan View Post
    I feel the same way, Iím in the twin cities MN and I feel like the only moomba around. I ride a lot of different surf gate boats including a buddy who has a new T23. Being a novice and if youíre looking for a boat that will not require as much tinkering, the axis wins out a little bit on that a bit. But my buddies with surf gate boats still have to tinker to get a good wave. But thatís just messing with settings and weight distribution. The mojo will require adding more weight to get a good wave. I did that with a custom ballast set up and lead. You have a be just a little handy to do that and willing to spend the time, but itís not hard and there are people who have shared their new mojo set up with upgraded wakemakers bags.

    The waves are still different after doing all of that, so if you have friends who ride surf gate boats, get ready for them to come on your boat and say your wave isnít as good. Itís not, they are just used to the surf gate wave. They are different shapes and you have to ride in a different spot.

    Good luck, youíll enjoy either! I know I do.
    Thanks for the input. I'm also in the Twin Cities...MN Inboard appears to dominate this marketplace for sure. I'm pretty committed to going down the moomba pathway at this point. I'm hoping to avoid a custom ballast setup, but am planning to place lead at some point. I'll be cruising this forum for how folks have setup their Mojos for sure. Thanks again

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    186

    Default

    There are some great YouTube videos that show where to put the weight specifically on the mojo. Also if you have three 2022 software update then the screen will actually show you exactly where you need weight.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Richfield, WI
    Posts
    328

    Default

    First off- you will love either boat, this is a fact.

    Don’t base your decision on what folks tell you about the surf wave size/potential for each boat- Both boats will make a wave more than big enough for you and your family to surf with or without added weight.

    We looked at a couple other brands before buying our Moomba and we choose Moomba because it was the hands down the best boat for the money. Moomba has great quality, features, looks, reputation, reliability..etc.
    2021 Moomba Max

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firsttimemoomba View Post
    Thanks for the input. I'm also in the Twin Cities...MN Inboard appears to dominate this marketplace for sure. I'm pretty committed to going down the moomba pathway at this point. I'm hoping to avoid a custom ballast setup, but am planning to place lead at some point. I'll be cruising this forum for how folks have setup their Mojos for sure. Thanks again

    Honestly, I wouldn't be intimidated by the ballast upgrades. I bought my first surf boat last year, Makai, and the ballast upgrades are pretty easy. I've used wakemakers stuff and it's plug and play. I am going a bit above and beyond this year with some more midship bags piggy backed on but you could just put in the rear upgrades and some lead in the mojo and probably be done in 15 minutes of install and a session of surfing to dial in the settings with the new weight. I looked at Axis before I bought my Moomba as well since it seemed like the comparable boat in the segment. Bought the Moomba based on bow height while surfing seems wildly different and the fit finish was was much better in the showroom on the Moomba. I think someone mentioned earlier, you're on the Moomba forums so we are all probably going to skew Moomba but those were a couple of the reasons that I ended up with a Moomba rather than an Axis. tldr, don't sweat the ballast upgrade it's pretty easy.
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Minnesota

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    97

    Default

    When cross shopping before we bought our Kaiyen, it took all of 30 seconds of my wife walking around an Axis for her to throw the "meh" face and climb back out of the boat.

    Ride quality (especially in chop) dramatically improves after adding lead too, so there are also secondary advantages of going the Moomba / displacement route to creating a surf wave.

    To be honest, you and the family will love either. Focus on colors, features, availability, and dealer service network that will enhance your ownership experience.
    2020 Kaiyen

  8. #18

    Default

    Thanks for all the input. It's nice to know that the choices are between good and great =)
    We're moving forward with the Mojo. There's one built and ready to hit the water here locally. While I'd love to build our own and pick each every option...this one hits 98% of the boxes and gets me on the water before July. Excited for the summer...the ice can't melt fast enough! No doubt I'll be back often when it comes time to tinker this spring with ballast

  9. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firsttimemoomba View Post
    Thanks for all the input. It's nice to know that the choices are between good and great =)
    We're moving forward with the Mojo. There's one built and ready to hit the water here locally. While I'd love to build our own and pick each every option...this one hits 98% of the boxes and gets me on the water before July. Excited for the summer...the ice can't melt fast enough! No doubt I'll be back often when it comes time to tinker this spring with ballast
    You wonít be disappointed, great choice. Are you buying the one from Midwest at the boat show?! All of the points above are my experience as well. On top of the less desirable fit and finish, bow rise on the axis is terrible. MN inboard is great at marketing and have really anchored themselves around the twin cities. We got our Kaiyen last year from Midwest and the entire experience was great and our break in service was quick and easy along with winterization. I donít see many Moombas around here either, but more Moombas than MBís. Still wish MB had a dealer here, my B52 was great. Congrats.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Boating on Lake Martin, AL
    Posts
    1,288

    Default

    It’s not always about the wave or ease of making one. I shopped and demoed both Axis and Moomba. Also have a video giving my thoughts on YT. The short of it is the Axis makes a taller wave than the Moomba out of the box but has nowhere near the adjustability as a Moomba or any boat with a tab surf system. The quality was much lower on the Axis than the Moomba both in what you could see and what you couldn’t unless digging inside the compartments. The ride quality was pretty rough on the Axis in what I would consider light chop. It beat us pretty bad at wakeboarding speeds as the boat just wanted to pound and slap against everything it seemed. The Moomba by comparison rode much more solid and less jarring by far. The Axis drove bad when the surf system was deployed and wedge dropped. You can definitely feel the drag and resistance. It rides really bow high when surfing and my wife wouldn’t care to drive a boat like that for sure. Add in the dealer support and the Moomba simply checked more boxes than the Axis did stock for stock despite the Axis wave being larger and easier to setup. Anyone can add ballast to a boat to make it have a better and bigger wave, so don’t let that get in the way.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •