Default Anyone use non-trailer tires on their boat trailer??

Let me start with the idea that I know trailer tires are ideal. I'm curious if anyone runs or has experience running non-trailer tires on their boat trailers?

I have access to a set of rims that I really like to replace the steel ones that came on the trailer originally. The ones I have access to are 1" larger aluminum. 15" OEM to 16". The issue is that the fenders were obviously designed to accommodate the 15" rims & I only have 30" of clearance. So I need a tire that is 28" in total diameter to make that work. And I don't really want to replace the fenders. It doesn't appear as though a 16" tire of 28" or less exists in a trailer version. I'm assuming because they would be considered lower profile. I know I've seen a lot of newer boats with huge rims & lower profile tires. From what I'm seeing, I'm guessing that means they're using some sort of passenger tire rather than STs. Trying to decide if it's worth the risk or not.

Default Anyone use non-trailer tires on their boat trailer??

Yes, most current Boatmate trailers with the 18” option uses a p metric automotive tire.

The critical thing is that the tire and size you pick has a high enough load rating for the total weight of your boat,trailer and gear.

For example, a dual axle Boatmate trailer for a Supra SA with 18’s runs a 255/55/18 tire.

The load rating is 109 XL or 2271# max load at 50psi. That is 9084# max load for trailer/boat/gear.

A 28” tire in a 16 is looking like a 235/65/16 and the highest load rating would be 1929# each, is that high enough for your boat/trailer/gear?

Edit: You can get 235/65/16 is a load rating of 3195# each.

Side note, Boatmate uses trailer king rst tires, they have a higher load rating BUT are made in China, so take that into consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by larry_arizona; 01-14-2022 at 02:55 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

It looks as though these would both meet the weight, size, & speed ratings necessary. My understanding is that the main difference between trailer & passenger tires is the ply. One of the below has 8 ply & the other 10. (I believe trailer tires are typically 10 ply).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...IZ5G65XK&psc=1

Get you some BFG KO2's! LOL!!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

After replacing one of the trailer kings that came on my SA trailer I can say they are cheap garbage, I imagine most any decent tire will be an upgrade, trailer rated or not. They are very light, thin and soft.
    2020 Supra SA

Noticed Boatmate changed the 18” tire to a no name brand, Fuel formula 1 255/55/18.

The Nitto 420s has been discontinued.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Noticed Boatmate changed the 18” tire to a no name brand, Fuel formula 1 255/55/18.

The Nitto 420s has been discontinued.

Fuel Formula 1 . . . hmm. Wonder if that is something rebranded under a different name?

2018 Supra SL400

I think the tires are offered by Fuel, who makes aftermarket rims. Someone else is probably molding their rubber though. I am sure it's probably a re-brand deal.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Love my Fuel Rims on my pickup.
    2018 Supra SL400