Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    had I known you were getting a metalcrap trailer I would have told you to RUN FAR AWAY...
    I had that under my '12 22ve and that trailer was nothing but garbage.
    was a rustbucket when we sold the boat in '17. the spare was mounted under the boat between the frame rails and I don't think it had a single piece of PC left on it when we sold the boat.

they are based in slc and if you go see them, you will walk away with the same perceptions I did about their quality control and overall operation.
    I will say tho that the owner was willing to help us fix the rust issues but we ended up selling the boat to the new owner knowing the trailer was $hit. go see him and get their opinion on it.
    sure you will be ok with the boat on it but watch for rust/peeling powdercoat/bad welds. that finish they use that they are SOOO proud of is pretty much garbage imo.
    I hear you brother. They touted their powder coating as a huge advantage to the BM. If I had a DeLorean and could hit 88mph, I'd order a BoatMate instead.

However...

Right now I'm more concerned about the legality of this trailer. God forbid, if something were to happen, I wouldn't an adjuster or (worse) lawyer claiming I was accountable or negligent for loading my trailer substantially over it's stickered max GVWR.
    2016 Starcraft Limited 1918 (sold)
    2021 MB Sports B52 Alpha (coming April 2021)
    2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
    2022 F-150 SCREW PB (ordered 12/2021...still waiting)
    B-737 (Work Vehicle)

As others mentioned, you got to clarify with both the trailer manufacturer and also the dealer. With MB, the Boatmate trailers are 10K, do dealers order trailers from whoever is their preferred vendor. Our MB Came on a Phoenix trailer, and I was also skeptical, but after a close inspection, it appears to be an upgrade from Boatmate in terms of how well it's built, and the components.
    I very much doubt that the dealer would put the boat on an underrated trailer, but anything is possible....
    2022 MB F22 Alpha
    2021 Mondo (sold)
    2020 Grand Island Fish
    2017 Sea-Doo Spark

I will say the limiting factors on a trailer are axle load rating and Tire load rating.

The welded box frame will not be your limiting factor. The metal craft frame doesn’t look any smaller than the steel that Boatmate uses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

all the ambulance chasers down here would start with you until they found out you paid for and picked up what was legally sold to you. they culpability will fall on the dealer or metalcrap. they would be the ones that married up the boat/trailer-I would even go so far as to say MB is in the clear like you since they didn't spec the trailer. same thing for tige with our 22ve. the dealer in Idaho Falls spec'ed the trailer to the boat not us or tige. all you did was pay for and pick up what should be a "legal" combo.
    I would spend zero worries on the legal side there.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Default Is my trailer even legal!!??

You are on the right path asking and researching BEFORE anything occurs.

I have to think a call to your dealer and metal craft asking why trailer tags are underrated will raise some red flags. I also would not be surprised if the dealer is clueless on the matter.

On a side note, how many SC owners opt out of a Boatmate for another brand?

Does MB have a relationship with Metal Craft?

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I would say that you would more likely have trouble with some anal inspection station officer due to the confusing label, if you ever happened to have to pass through one for some reason, than you would need to worry about the trailer ever failing you mechanically from too much weight.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    You are on the right path asking and researching BEFORE anything occurs.

I have to think a call to your dealer and metal craft asking why trailer tags are underrated will raise some red flags. I also would not be surprised if the dealer is clueless on the matter.

Does MB have a relationship with Metal Craft?

Nope. When you use the online configurator on MB's website, it's actually a BM. MetalCraft is used by my local dealer (the biggest MB dealer in the nation, who are actually pretty great). MC is about 30 minutes away, so I'm sure it's convenient, saves money, and increases dealer margin.
    B-737 (Work Vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by HFarr View Post
    I would say that you would more likely have trouble with some anal inspection station officer due to the confusing label, if you ever happened to have to pass through one for some reason, than you would need to worry about the trailer ever failing you mechanically from too much weight.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    Another aspect I never even thought about.

I'm a pilot by profession and just like things done right and legal. Even if I was "assured" it was all good by the dealer and trailer manufacturer, I'd want a new placard. I paid six figures for this get up, I want it certificated properly.
    B-737 (Work Vehicle)

Sucks the dealer chose margin over quality on the trailer.

Hopefully you get the answers you are looking for.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post

They do have their manufacturing plants next to each other. Does not get much easier and closer for delivery when a boat is done.

2018 Supra SL400