Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Rilez View Post
    Someone online mentioned they feel locking nuts are of the utmost importance on a boat trailer when going after market since it would be easy for a thief to put your trailer on blocks & take the rims while you're out on the lake...I'm not typically a fan of locking nuts as it adds one more thing that could go wrong if a tire blew on a trip. One of my wife's previous vehicles had them & the one time I balanced & rotated the tires, I couldn't find the key & had to pay someone to cut it off. I've never had anything worth stealing in the parking lot before, but I'm not sure I really see that as a problem...for any of you that trailer & have the newer setups with all the fanciness, is this really something I need to do?
    Do you plan on boating in the hood?

But seriously, never used wheel locks for any good wheels, plus they are easy to bypass so mostly useless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Do you plan on boating in the hood?

But seriously, never used wheel locks for any good wheels, plus they are easy to bypass so mostly useless.

Ya, that seemed pretty extreme to me too, but I figured I'd throw it out there to you guys in case there's something I was missing. That guy also suggested everyone with nice trailers & rims lock their trailers to your hitch while in the parking lot so someone doesn't come and just walk away with it...This is the first 'nice' boat that I've gone to the lake with, but it's nothing I would've considered needing previously for sure. Plus I've always felt that other boaters go out of there way to be helpful & kind. Although I questioned it slightly because I've unhooked the trailer before to switch it over to a different vehicle when someone has left early or something similar so I guess it technically would be pretty easy to steal if someone really wanted to. And I suppose it's not the other boaters that would be the worry, I suppose if someone was going to steal it it would be some punk driving by on the road more likely than someone else in the parking lot. The world we live in these days that that's even a consideration...disappointing.

Most launches are attended around here, would be pretty obvious a theft was occurring.

Plus wheel locks are ugly.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I replaced my wheels on my Mojo trailer. Hub caps weren't deep enough so I didn't put them on. It was cheaper to buy wheels with tires already installed from etrailer or other places. I went from 14's to 15's so I could increase the load rating. I could have went 16's but you have to watch the backspacing. 205/75r14 vs 215/70r15 vs 225/65r16 isn't much but you don't want to rub on the trailer frame. 4.5" backspacing fits well.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

we have camped for days on end back in idaho at ramps that are not managed, not camera'ed and out in the sticks at night and never heard of anyone having their rims lifted. too many offsets, sizes and backspacing to make it worth a thief to mess with. gut is resell market is limited. here in vegas there are several that leave their boats at calville bay sitting on trailers in the back 40 parking lot for most of the summer and no issues. granted not 100k wakeboats but some are sitting on trailers with decent chrome rims.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Holdmybeer View Post
    I replaced my wheels on my Mojo trailer. Hub caps weren't deep enough so I didn't put them on. It was cheaper to buy wheels with tires already installed from etrailer or other places. I went from 14's to 15's so I could increase the load rating. I could have went 16's but you have to watch the backspacing. 205/75r14 vs 215/70r15 vs 225/65r16 isn't much but you don't want to rub on the trailer frame. 4.5" backspacing fits well.
    What is backspacing?

The distance from the rim edge to the center hub of the wheel.

If the backspacing is to great the wheel will rub the trailer frame. Not enough and the wheel will stick out of the fender. (I could have that backwards).

Regardless the wheel measurements need to be considered before just buying new ones. Not sure if boatmate has ever changed, but the lug pattern should be 5x4.5 but again you need to know these.
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Most launches are attended around here, would be pretty obvious a theft was occurring.

They had a little span on Norris where some thieves were stealing cat converters off trucks sitting in the parking lots. Not sure how this was happening in the daytime with all the peeps around. I guess they saw real fast . . . .
    2018 Supra SL400

Man! An 18volt Milwaukee Sawzall with the right blade will make short work of an exhaust pipe. Believe it or not they are stealing them for the small amount of Platinum and Palladium in them. Around here, the scrap yards are not allowed to take them without your license and a receipt for a new one. Unless it's attached to the whole car.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

I worked for a truck OEM and they stole 27 of them off unfinished trucks parked behind the plant. The internal material is mined in Russia and they are buying them back and recycling them and reselling back to the OEM's. They do not care if they are stolen or not. Black market is up to $200 each around Ohio.
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow