Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Wakemakers Gravity 3 Ballast upgrade - 2008 XLV gg

I'm fairly new here, but wanted to reach out to see if anyone had experience doing this wakemakers upgrade?

I'm new to the boating world all together, but came across this upgrade and it looks like a no brainer. The XLV I bought last year filled and drained so inconsistently we pretty much stopped trying to surf. I'm sure those orbit sprinkler systems have been bashed here for years. Its terrible, I can't wait to rip it all out.

Here's the deal...I'm pretty mechanically sound. I've torn down cars and done engine conversions, etc. I watched the video on wake makers a dozen times before ordering and I feel 100% confident in my ability to install this system.

I have 3 friends that have been boating people since birth, so I always rely on them to run things by.

All 3 of them think I'm absolutely insane for wanting to drill these 2 thru holes in the bottom of the boat myself. Am I missing something? I don't mind paying to have it installed, but I just like to do these things myself.

The other problem with having a fiberglass place do it is that my boat is already stored/winterized in a warehouse that has a rack system. It has to be put in the water before I can get back on the trailer to the fiberglass shop. I don't want it to spend the first month of the summer in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Beas View Post
    I'm fairly new here, but wanted to reach out to see if anyone had experience doing this wakemakers upgrade?

I'm new to the boating world all together, but came across this upgrade and it looks like a no brainer. The XLV I bought last year filled and drained so inconsistently we pretty much stopped trying to surf. I'm sure those orbit sprinkler systems have been bashed here for years. Its terrible, I can't wait to rip it all out.

Here's the deal...I'm pretty mechanically sound. I've torn down cars and done engine conversions, etc. I watched the video on wake makers a dozen times before ordering and I feel 100% confident in my ability to install this system.

I have 3 friends that have been boating people since birth, so I always rely on them to run things by.

All 3 of them think I'm absolutely insane for wanting to drill these 2 thru holes in the bottom of the boat myself. Am I missing something? I don't mind paying to have it installed, but I just like to do these things myself.

The other problem with having a fiberglass place do it is that my boat is already stored/winterized in a warehouse that has a rack system. It has to be put in the water before I can get back on the trailer to the fiberglass shop. I don't want it to spend the first month of the summer in the shop.
    I did one on my previous 2007 Supra from Wakemakers. There should be some posts on this step-by-step. It's not that hard to do once you have it planned out. Having two people also helps.

Are you also upgrading the bags? If so, there are tips on installing the pluming for that with check-valves and vents.
    2018 Supra SL400

It's worth it. Common answer for someone that does not know about wake boats or ballast systems.

You will want one hole for each of the back bags and one for the center/bow bag. That's how all the new boats are plumbed.

Wakemakers does have a good video on this. Just give some thought on where the holes will be so you have easy access to the valve to shut off.

Once you drill your first hole, not a big deal anymore. Starting the hole right is the biggest thing so you do not have add'l fiberglass cracks.
    2018 Supra SL400

So you think its a good DIY project? Agreed, putting them in the correct spots is the most important part.

I did buy the upgraded bags too. I think I'll be going from 800#'s in the rear to over 2200#'s. Seems like overkill...but I like it!

Not to have those famous last words...but it just doesn't seem difficult at all.
    2008 XLV Gravity Games edition

And obviously move this post to the Mods page if we need too...MY FAULT!
    2008 XLV Gravity Games edition

Honestly you can get by using the existing single hole you have, but it's just easier to drill 2 new holes.

Search the achieves, but you just need to find an easily accessible spot in the v-drive area and check the bottom of the hull for clearance and verify it's flat. This is the hard part as some boats don't have much room. Make sure the spot you pick allows access to the shut off handles opened and closed positions. Sometime I bend the handles and I like to pick a spot that gives enough room to make the install easy. I lay everything out in the hull and see how it will all fit then mark the location.

Then use very small drill bit 1/16th? and drill from the inside to the outside. This gives you a reference point and if you don't like the spot you have some play to move it around or fill it with 5200.. If like the spot I use a hole saw in reverse and to drill from outside to inside very slowly and softly, starting in reverse prevents help prevent any chipping.

Then I add add 5200 sealant to the thru hull and tighten up, don't over tighten, you just want it to hold it in place, then once it's cured tighten it. up again. You want to be careful adding the shutoff vales, etc, etc to not spin the thru hull fitting, best to wait to fully cured and not stress it. I put a little dab of 5200 of the threads so they don't vibrate loose..
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

it's not a big deal.
    2018 Supra SL400

So you think its a good DIY project? Agreed, putting them in the correct spots is the most important part.

I did buy the upgraded bags too. I think I'll be going from 800#'s in the rear to over 2200#'s. Seems like overkill...but I like it!

Not to have those famous last words...but it just doesn't seem difficult at all.
    On my 2007, the stock was appx 400#s each. I originally bought 750s. Then sold those and went to 1100s.
    Even if they do not fill all the way, the 1100s held more than the 750s and filled the whole space.
    2018 Supra SL400

Yes, but my comments are based on the number of people that have done this in the past. Lots of DIY peeps. There should be posts or pics to help you with the two planning items:

1) Where to drill the holes
    2) Where to mount the pumps

My Supra allowed me to drill the holes around the V-Drive area. Spaced apart. Thus the access was easy when I lifted out the back cushion seat. If I recall, there were 2 holes on each side of the V-Drive - one at the front area and one towards the middle. The front holes were the raw water and orig ballast hole.

The other item on the original ballast hole, I used a cutting wheel to cut off the brass scupper. Thus it will NOT force water into the system when running down the lake. Not sure if you have one on your hull.
    Last edited by MJHSupra; 12-06-2021 at 03:08 PM.
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    I put a little dab of 5200 of the threads so they don't vibrate loose..
    I did the same on mine using 5200. It was solid.
    2018 Supra SL400