Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Yes, do it. I am not familiar with the wake makers kit but I'm guessing they include 3 ballast puppy reversible pumps. Mount the pumps in a place where they are easy to get to. You will likely need to change the impeller every 2-3 years in each pump. Electric is very different vs the stock pumps. The new pumps are high amp draw self priming pumps so you will need relays. You want three under water holes (one for each pump) in the bottom of the boat. They will fill and empty through the same hole. The pumps will not allow water past them when you are driving so you don't need sprinkler valves like your current aerator pumps. You will also want an overflow hole out the side of the boat for each bag. You may even want two per bag. These burp the air out of the bags and allow overflow so the bags don't burst. It is a pretty straight forward job. Make sure you have a manual valve at each under water hole just in case of emergency. The new boats all include this. Be careful drilling through the fiberglass so you don't crack it. Not difficult at all. Watch a video or two and you will learn everything you need to know. The job is not difficult for someone with your skills. You will have no problem and you will be MUCH happier with the boat. IF you don't have one, get a "suck gate" for the boat too. It will massively improve your surf wave with the new ballast.
    2020 Supra SE 450

I did this on my old 2005 LSV 4 years ago. As far as I remember, the wakemakers kit has everything you'll need for wiring, (I don't remember needing to get extra relays). You reuse your existing thru hull and only drill 2 new ones for 3 total. You also reuse/combine lines for the venting of each bag. You shouldn't need to drill more vent holes.

The biggest issues I had afterwards were that I had to close the valves in a particular order because the handles were all so close together next to the vdrive. I assume the 08' XLV has more space but I've never seen one. We mounted our 3 pumps right above the vdrive/transmission, on the back of the center rear seat. Also, get utility gloves for when you're bending and mounting 1" hose. The heat gun will get it too hot to touch and a pair of gloves makes manhandling the hose onto the barbs faster/easier. Read through similar projects on here and post up any questions.

If you want, I have a short video I took that might be helpful on where/how I mounted the pumps. Private message me your email and I can send you a link.

Edit: Here's a public link

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oxrBXKbY6mmWazv19
    Last edited by Hayden; 12-06-2021 at 07:30 PM.
    2021 Mojo, 6.2L Raptor 400/1.76, Acme 3407 15.5x13, G6, Flow3, +6500 lbs ballast
    2005 Mobius LSV (sold)
    Windermere Lake, B.C., 2800' Elevation
    2021 Mojo Mods

Quote Originally Posted by Beas View Post
    So you think its a good DIY project? Agreed, putting them in the correct spots is the most important part.

I did buy the upgraded bags too. I think I'll be going from 800#'s in the rear to over 2200#'s. Seems like overkill...but I like it!

Not to have those famous last words...but it just doesn't seem difficult at all.
    In no time you will be buying lead ballast bags for even more! Sounds like you are very capable of this diy project, go for it, it's not that hard.
    I think I've drilling close to 60 holes thru my hull below waterline with Ballast upgrades and diy surf system.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

drilled several holes in boats in the past for ballast and up to 6.25" holes in interiors for speakers.
    the old addage of measure twice applies and TAKE YOUR TIME. hole saw in reverse. blue painters tape off the area. watch a few vids. first one is always a little butt puckering but after that it's pretty cake.
    done both round holes and used a dremel for a rectangle for a stereo and it's a piece of cake once you do the first one.

as far as the ballast upgrade goes, as others have said, ditching the orbits is a GREAT upgrade.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

You guys are awesome. I was hoping to get this type of validation. Last Summer was so frustrating with that current set up. Everything was new to me so I didn't really know what was what. I've watched the wake makers video a hundred times and feel like i could do this whole project with my eyes closed...or at least with a few beers.

One of the friends I had suggested ditching the "Marine Silicone sealant" they send with the system and going with the 5200, that seems to be the consensus here too.

and here is the system for those not familiar. Wake Makers upgrade

It was 20% off Black Friday.
    2008 XLV Gravity Games edition

And when you guys say "suck gate" is that the actual brand, or are you just saying any of these side mounted suction wake plates? I have now that came with the boat, not sure of the brand off hand, but it seems to work ok.

If I need to spend another $300 for one that's better I'm all ears though!

Suck gate is a generic term to any wake shaper that mounts to the side of your boat with suction cups.

I had a homemade (single) one on my Supra - probably $30-40 in materials. Worked great.
    Companies also make them for $200 and $300 for a brand name manufactured one.

There are companies that make single ones and double ones (Surf Mode) or stacking them like NautiCurl.
    Some make a bigger face - like the Liquid Force Edge Mega Wake Shaper

What is the best? Opinions will vary. To me, the best one is the one that stays on your boat. Ones that float are a plus too. If you had Brand X and Brand Y mounted in the same hull location and mounted in the correct water position, I doubt you will see much difference in the wave. Can't really listen to the manufacturers b/c they will show bias photos of how theirs is the best.
    2018 Supra SL400

Default thanks

I had assumed, but the term suck gate was new to me. Yes, I have a wake plate (thats what I've always called it). I'll stick with the one I have for now. With the new bags I should have more rood to get it closer to the water line. Right now I have to mount it too deep (IMO) just based on the hull shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Beas View Post
    I had assumed, but the term suck gate was new to me. Yes, I have a wake plate (thats what I've always called it). I'll stick with the one I have for now. With the new bags I should have more rood to get it closer to the water line. Right now I have to mount it too deep (IMO) just based on the hull shape.
    My 2007 was easy for mounting, it went as far back as I could get it and as low as I could get it on the side. Worked for the ballast and people setup.
    2018 Supra SL400

Brian sells a lot of these models. Pretty popular on social media. Also a Supra owner.

https://www.surf-mode.com/
    2018 Supra SL400