Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default 2022 Mojo vs 2017 Nautique G23 and 2017 Mastercraft x23 - for surfing

I'm buying my first boat and I'm prioritizing surfing as #1. I'll be teaching my 8 and 10 yr old boys to surf and will probably take out a lot of my coworkers on a regular basis.

The Mojo is $107k and the G23 is $130K and the x23 is $125K. I'm ok with the extra cost of the G23 or X23, but only if it's actually a better surf wave. For those that have been on any of these, is the G23 or X23 better? I understand the G23 hull design is geared towards surf/wake, so I believe it creates a good wave with less ballast weight. Not sure on the X23.

As for the actual boat, I've seen them, but not been on the water in any of them. The G23 is very nice, but the Mojo is pretty good for the price. Any other big considerations between the three?

Thanks!

12-2-2021 2-18-58 AM.jpg
    Last edited by Homer2022; 12-02-2021 at 04:21 AM.

The Mojo will be the lighter boat of the 3 and will likely require more ballast to put out a big wave, unless you have a large crew onboard. I’ve never surfed behind a G23 or an X23 but I’d say the G will have the better wave out of the box of the 3 boats you’re looking into. It has a steep shape and lip that some people like and others don’t like. I’d be sure to surf demo all of them. A Supra would be a more comparable wave to the Nautique or MasterCraft boats than the Moomba will. That being said you can make a Moomba throw a big meaty wave with the right ballast setup.

If buying new your dealer will be nearly as important besides the brand of boat. You could buy a badass boat but have a crappy dealer ruin the ownership experience. So I would not only shop the boats but also shop the dealerships. That sometimes will matter more than surf performance.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Quote Originally Posted by haknslash View Post
    The Mojo will be the lighter boat of the 3 and will likely require more ballast to put out a big wave, unless you have a large crew onboard. I’ve never surfed behind a G23 or an X23 but I’d say the G will have the better wave out of the box of the 3 boats you’re looking into. It has a steep shape and lip that some people like and others don’t like. I’d be sure to surf demo all of them. A Supra would be a more comparable wave to the Nautique or MasterCraft boats than the Moomba will. That being said you can make a Moomba throw a big meaty wave with the right ballast setup.

If buying new your dealer will be nearly as important besides the brand of boat. You could buy a badass boat but have a crappy dealer ruin the ownership experience. So I would not only shop the boats but also shop the dealerships. That sometimes will matter more than surf performance.
    Not gonna lie the g23 is pretty sweet ride, my surf coach has one. But my 2017 Craz with lead and upgraded ballast bags absolutely destroys his surf wave.

It really depends on what you like, the g23 looks awesome and I'm jealous of it until I surf it. I'd rather spend that extra cash on upgrades, gas and a slip.

Go sit in the boats and figure out what you want to do with it. Looks or function. Just remember with moomba, you need to add weight, so factor in an additional 2-3k for ballast upgrades. Once you do it'll perform as good or better as the stock more expensive boats.
    Last edited by parrothd; 12-02-2021 at 10:28 AM.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

If I had your budget I'd be looking at a supra..

If anyone that could be truly non-biased is reading this (like maybe Wake9?), it would be cool to see a wave shootout comparison on three different boats all at the same time!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

in the end, none of you are going to be on the pro surfing circuit for some time if ever. all 3 boats will put out a wave that will be a ton of fun to enjoy and someone will always have a boat with a "better" wave. the last 5 years or so have not really produced any "poor" surf boats from any of the bigger names and even heyday has a wave that most say is good.

that said, if it was my coin, I'd take the mojo ALL DAY LONG as it has a warranty and lower cost to add more cash into gear. mastercraft would not even be in the hunt for us as you are paying a lot of money for that name on the side and materials/fit/finish that don't command it. nautty is a solid boat and it will show a much better interior and fit/finish than the moomba but it's also used. unless you plan on living on them, once you are out on the water enjoying the sun and wave, 99% of your guests won't care the name on the side and in the end you are the only person that will ever care that the nautty upholstery is "X" mm thicker than the moomba or that the x23 has 3 more cupholders that are positioned better.

good luck and whichever you choose, your family and the memories coming are the big winner.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Mastercraft would be out for me, two reasons.

1) Ugly ass tower
    2) bow rise is high when surfing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

If this is your first boat, here are two important items:
    1) Dealer
    2) Warranty

If your area has a 'bad rap' for service on one brand, that is not going to help you when something happens and you do not want to loose water time over the summer.

With a 2017, things WILL start to break. So, what is the warranty? And when things break on these new boats, they cost $$. For example, on a 2017 w/o warranty if you do not mind spending a few thousand dollars if the screen goes out, it's not a big deal.

I'm sure you are going to the other sites as well. I've been on all three boats and I'm not brand hating:
    1) Mojo
    * New and Warranty
    * Best boat in the Moomba line for size and performance
    * Not crazy price and holds it value b/c they do not produce that many. You will have extra $ for surf boards.
    * It will not have the high-end features like a NAUT, MC, or Supra
    * Go to WAKE9 and watch their Mojo videos. I've been on their boat and what you see is what you will get will add'l ballast.

2) G23
    * Anyone hating on a G is blowing smoke. It throws great waves and wakes.
    * High dollar boat with nice features, thus could be expensive when something breaks
    * If you go over to the Naut sites, you will hear about bow spray. I think it affects this model. When surfing and windy, the water spray against the hull causes the people in the boat to get 'spray'. Some do not care and with others it drives them nuts.
    * I was looking at used G23 before I bought my Supra SL, but my buddy sells Supra/Moomba and I've been treated right.

3) X23
    * Deep boat and nice finishes. Handles rough water very well b/c of the hull design.
    * I'm not sold on the surf wave. Over the years reading on the MC forums, the X23 was not fan favorite even with the MC loyalists. It sounded like a lot of X23s new owners then switched/moved to the XT, XStar, and then the X22. They have a lot of models. They switch out and retire too.
    * MC peeps also complained how loud the boat was. I think it was the transmission.

Overall, good of for you. Any of these boats are great. Have fun taking them for test rides. Look for things like:
    * Bow rise
    * Easy of setting up the wave
    * How the helms are setup and features
    * What 'extras' on on the boat to make one stand out over the others?
    Last edited by MJHSupra; 12-02-2021 at 12:32 PM.
    2018 Supra SL400

Sandm has good points, even though he just smashed my hopes and dreams for becoming a superstar! (I am quietly crying inside right now, LOL) it is very true that all of the boats out there now that are designed to surf will put out a good wave, and one you can surf all day thinking it is the best. He is right that there is ALWAYS a better wave out there. Even by the same exact boat that the other guy has set up his way verses yours. So just get the one you really feel you like the best. You will have fun regardless!

2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Quote Originally Posted by HFarr View Post
    Sandm has good points, even though he just smashed my hopes and dreams for becoming a superstar! (I am quietly crying inside right now, LOL) it is very true that all of the boats out there now that are designed to surf will put out a good wave, and one you can surf all day thinking it is the best. He is right that there is ALWAYS a better wave out there. Even by the same exact boat that the other guy has set up his way verses yours. So just get the one you really feel you like the best. You will have fun regardless!

Yep, even which side you surf makes a huge difference, G23 goofy is the better side, Moomba is port..