Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Moomba Mondo Build Questions

We are currently in the process of getting our order in to the dealer. Have a few questions if anyone is knowledgeable/familiar.

1. Is Flow 3 w/ G6 Ballast worth it?
    2. Touch screen upgrade? (Most likely not worth it for us).
    3. Not getting the removable seat back for sliding bench seat. Mistake?
    4. Not getting the removable side storage bins (boat will be kept on a hoist in the summer, don't store much on the boat). Mistake?

We are getting:
    Dual batteries
    Bimini top with surf sleeve
    Digital depth and water temp
    Flooring deck kit (traction getting on and off boat from dock to lift and vice versa).
    2, 8" Tower Speakers w/ Audio package Upgrade
    Swivel Racks
    Surf Pipe
    Headlights

Any input on what features you would NOT get and what features you WOULD absolutely get again?

Thanks in advance.

good day! i am excited for you to get a new build opportunity. I had an 08 LSV that we built, currently in a 19 mondo that we bought off the floor. I am not completely up to date on the newest finest stuff that the current boats have, but i will share my opinion.

1- Flow 3, anything that improves the ballast fill times and controls is usually worth it.
    2- touch screen- i do not know about this.
    3- we do not have the seat back for the bench. we like the sliding bench when we have people with who are new to riding and want to watch their friends/kids better. i think i would like to have this. the mondo does not have a big space, so even when the seat is slid back, the bench sitters will have their feet on the transmission cover. the seat back may make sitting this way more comfortable.
    4 storage bins- these would go over the rear bags? you will probably upgrade the bags and fill the space with bags and the bins will not be usable. We have talked about adding something, like nets, etc. for the jackets and things in the storage, but have been fine without.

yes dual batteries, and the trickle charger if it does not come standard.
    yes bimini with surf sleeves
    yes depth and temp
    yes floor deck kit, is this the walk through on the engine?
    yes audio 2 on the tower ore fine for us.
    swivel racks- we swivel the rack about 50% of the time. when you swivel the rack the person sitting under is inconvenienced. use the top surf sleeves mostly.
    yes surf pipe

NO headlights. i had the docking lights on my LSV. you cannot drive the boat at night and use these lights. we seldom loaded with the docking lights. it was easier to trailer load with the truck tail lights. when you load in your slip, i would presume you have slip lighting that will light stuff up if you need it. so much better than the head lights.

good luck!
    19 Mondo
    08 LSV, forever loved

Quote Originally Posted by yearround View Post
    good day! i am excited for you to get a new build opportunity. I had an 08 LSV that we built, currently in a 19 mondo that we bought off the floor. I am not completely up to date on the newest finest stuff that the current boats have, but i will share my opinion.

1- Flow 3, anything that improves the ballast fill times and controls is usually worth it.
    2- touch screen- i do not know about this.
    3- we do not have the seat back for the bench. we like the sliding bench when we have people with who are new to riding and want to watch their friends/kids better. i think i would like to have this. the mondo does not have a big space, so even when the seat is slid back, the bench sitters will have their feet on the transmission cover. the seat back may make sitting this way more comfortable.
    4 storage bins- these would go over the rear bags? you will probably upgrade the bags and fill the space with bags and the bins will not be usable. We have talked about adding something, like nets, etc. for the jackets and things in the storage, but have been fine without.

yes dual batteries, and the trickle charger if it does not come standard.
    yes bimini with surf sleeves
    yes depth and temp
    yes floor deck kit, is this the walk through on the engine?
    yes audio 2 on the tower ore fine for us.
    swivel racks- we swivel the rack about 50% of the time. when you swivel the rack the person sitting under is inconvenienced. use the top surf sleeves mostly.
    yes surf pipe

NO headlights. i had the docking lights on my LSV. you cannot drive the boat at night and use these lights. we seldom loaded with the docking lights. it was easier to trailer load with the truck tail lights. when you load in your slip, i would presume you have slip lighting that will light stuff up if you need it. so much better than the head lights.

good luck!
    Don't forget Autowake, you'll want that, makes life so much easier, plus for resale. I'd get the snap on cover if in a slip, even covered in slip.

Flow 3 and G6 is a must.
    Last edited by parrothd; 11-12-2021 at 01:36 PM.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

anything surf related so do the ballast upgrade.
    screen- how long are you going to keep the boat. 2 years? get the upgrade. 10 years? skip if you don't see the value in it.
    just like cars, as boat tech improves, everyone wants the latest and older tech doesn't matter. no one cares if a '15 hyundai has the smaller or larger screen as it won't affect resale. a 2020? different story.

the stuff you are getting all look like options we would check off and we would skip headlights.
    storage stuff is a personal preference. sliding seat is a don't care for us. never used it in the couple boats that had it.

good luck and post up pics once you pick 'er up....
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Congrats on your new boat! I'm on my 5th year, with 4 on 20' LSV and now 1 with a 23' Mojo. We are primarily surfers. Here's my perspective....

1 - Flow 3 w/G6 - Be aware you can get Flow 2 w/G6 as well if you're just worried about fill times. I think you want G6 regardless but the difference between Flow 2 and Flow 3 is the "face" of the wave and how nicely it cleans up. If you're a wave snob like me, this matters a lot. Flow 3 all the way.
    2 - 7" vs. 4" Touch screen - I would go for 7", you're paying this much, I would get the big screen.
    3 - Rear sliding seat - I have seen a fair amount of people post on here that rear seat is not worth it. I would say doubly so for Mondo and the lesser amount of room in the cabin.
    4 - Rear storage bins, I did not get these. Mojo has more room so not sure for Mondo.

Dual batteries - for sure, should be standard. you're buying redundancy, peace of mind.
    Bimini top with surf sleeve - yep. can't live without it.
    Digital depth and water temp - yep. we have a shallow lake, it helped to memorize the areas that were lower.
    Flooring deck kit (traction getting on and off boat from dock to lift and vice versa) - yep. traction is very important for people getting in/out.
    2, 8" Tower Speakers w/ Audio package Upgrade - yes, but these new motors are loud. normally don't notice stereo when surfing, only when chilling or doing low speed rider pickups.
    Swivel Racks - if you moor next to other boats or you plan to do mid-lake meetups, where you tie-off next to another boat, these would be good, otherwise I don't think they're worth it. We have the default racks and use them to dry towels.
    Surf Pipe - yes. minimize CO getting to people sitting on the back of the boat as much as possible.
    Headlights - not enough illumination for surfing after dark, nice when coming in late to harbor at or after dusk. definitely a place to cut costs if trying to get under budget.

Depending on how many people will normally be in the boat, I would say you should budget for some additional leadwake. If you're always going to have, say, 6-8+ adults this is much less of an issue but if you're only running driver/spotter/rider this is a must in my opinion. more weight is bigger/pushier wave.

I would also get the surf/altitude prop rather than the stock prop because not getting upto speed is far worse than the difference in going 35 vs. 38 mph.

All the best.
    Last edited by Hayden; 11-12-2021 at 02:08 PM.
    2021 Mojo, 6.2L Raptor 400/1.76, Acme 3407 15.5x13, G6, Flow3, +6500 lbs ballast
    2005 Mobius LSV (sold)
    Windermere Lake, B.C., 2800' Elevation
    2021 Mojo Mods

Thank you for your input, it's greatly appreciated.

Walkthrough on the engine is standard with decking. The deck kit adds the matching gator step onto the gunnels of the boat.

We live on a lake with our own lift and we do not have lighting on/near it. I know that you can't use headlights whilst underway, but they would be very helpful for us when pulling into the lift when it is pitch black outside. I would usually have someone sit in the bow with their iPhone flashlight on, so that I wouldn't come in at a bad angle and avoid scratching/scuffing the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    anything surf related so do the ballast upgrade.
    screen- how long are you going to keep the boat. 2 years? get the upgrade. 10 years? skip if you don't see the value in it.
    just like cars, as boat tech improves, everyone wants the latest and older tech doesn't matter. no one cares if a '15 hyundai has the smaller or larger screen as it won't affect resale. a 2020? different story.

the stuff you are getting all look like options we would check off and we would skip headlights.
    storage stuff is a personal preference. sliding seat is a don't care for us. never used it in the couple boats that had it.

good luck and post up pics once you pick 'er up....
    We do plan on keeping the boat for at least 5 years. Like you said, screens seem to age relatively quickly and I don't see the value in getting the touch screen. I also have a feeling that the non-touch screen would be more reliable in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
    Congrats on your new boat! I'm on my 5th year, with 4 on 20' LSV and now 1 with a 23' Mojo. We are primarily surfers. Here's my perspective....

1 - Flow 3 w/G6 - Be aware you can get Flow 2 w/G6 as well if you're just worried about fill times. I think you want G6 regardless but the difference between Flow 2 and Flow 3 is the "face" of the wave and how nicely it cleans up. If you're a wave snob like me, this matters a lot. Flow 3 all the way.
    2 - 7" vs. 4" Touch screen - I would go for 7", you're paying this much, I would get the big screen.
    3 - Rear sliding seat - I have seen a fair amount of people post on here that rear seat is not worth it. I would say doubly so for Mondo and the lesser amount of room in the cabin.
    4 - Rear storage bins, I did not get these. Mojo has more room so not sure for Mondo.

Dual batteries - for sure, should be standard. you're buying redundancy, peace of mind.
    Bimini top with surf sleeve - yep. can't live without it.
    Digital depth and water temp - yep. we have a shallow lake, it helped to memorize the areas that were lower.
    Flooring deck kit (traction getting on and off boat from dock to lift and vice versa) - yep. traction is very important for people getting in/out.
    2, 8" Tower Speakers w/ Audio package Upgrade - yes, but these new motors are loud. normally don't notice stereo when surfing, only when chilling or doing low speed rider pickups.
    Swivel Racks - if you moor next to other boats or you plan to do mid-lake meetups, where you tie-off next to another boat, these would be good, otherwise I don't think they're worth it. We have the default racks and use them to dry towels.
    Surf Pipe - yes. minimize CO getting to people sitting on the back of the boat as much as possible.
    Headlights - not enough illumination for surfing after dark, nice when coming in late to harbor at or after dusk. definitely a place to cut costs if trying to get under budget.

Depending on how many people will normally be in the boat, I would say you should budget for some additional leadwake. If you're always going to have, say, 6-8+ adults this is much less of an issue but if you're only running driver/spotter/rider this is a must in my opinion. more weight is bigger/pushier wave.

I would also get the surf/altitude prop rather than the stock prop because not getting upto speed is far worse than the difference in going 35 vs. 38 mph.

All the best.
    The reason I am interested in the swivel racks is because of the way we store the boat. I'm not exactly sure how far boards will stick out compared to the beam, which could result in having to remove/replace the boards every time we bring the boat on and off the lift.

I have a Makai we keep on a cable lift under a covered dock. Boards AND the Board rack will not clear the cables without swinging them in. Most cable lifts are set up where the cables are only 6-10 inches or so from the sides of the boat. For me swivels are a must have.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Quote Originally Posted by GoGreenGoWhite View Post
    We are currently in the process of getting our order in to the dealer. Have a few questions if anyone is knowledgeable/familiar.

1. Is Flow 3 w/ G6 Ballast worth it?
    2. Touch screen upgrade? (Most likely not worth it for us).
    3. Not getting the removable seat back for sliding bench seat. Mistake?
    4. Not getting the removable side storage bins (boat will be kept on a hoist in the summer, don't store much on the boat). Mistake?

We are getting:
    Dual batteries
    Bimini top with surf sleeve
    Digital depth and water temp
    Flooring deck kit (traction getting on and off boat from dock to lift and vice versa).
    2, 8" Tower Speakers w/ Audio package Upgrade
    Swivel Racks
    Surf Pipe
    Headlights

Any input on what features you would NOT get and what features you WOULD absolutely get again?

Thanks in advance.
    Ok, first off congratulations, you will love the boat! We love our 2021 and cannot wait for winter to be over lol. As for your questions:

1 - Flow 3 and g6 ballast are 2 different things and flow 3 is not available on the Mondo but no biggie it is not as useful on the shorter hull as compared to the longer boats. However as others have said get the g6 vs the g3 ballast the extra pumps are a must with 3700lbs of ballast it still takes a bit to fill and helps make autowake work better as it can be more responsive as it moves water faster which is how autowake works.
    2 - Get the touch screen, the screen is your only spot for guages remember and the older screen is significantly smaller and harder to read. I could be wrong but I also think you need the 7" screen to get the full effect of the autowake system with the newest features. The money saved here is not really worth it and I would not suggest that there is any more durability between the screens. It is going to be one of those things that really you don't want to say in 5 years that you wish you had a again it is the only location to get speed, depth and vessel info while underway.
    3 - Not a mistake at all, we wondered that as well but after using our for a season it would be more comfortable I am sure with a back rest there for the people using it but it would be a major pain with it up and people are moving around the boat especially with the bimini up, hopping over it would be nightmare to switch riders or to get a drink etc. In a larger boat like a max I would have gotten it but not we do not regret not having it in our Mondo and it would be sitting in the garage if we had.
    4 - Don't get the bins, they are not very large and don't provide great storage and make it harder to check/bleed the air out of the bags. There are cargo nets you can order third party and that is what I would go with as it allows access for storage when the bags are empty and keeps jackets up high when they are full without being a limitation.

The rest of your options look good, the deck kit is definitely nice as the gel coat is slippery if it is wet for sure, dual batteries are a must as it depth finder, upgraded audio is good, we like ours and it is more than loud enough for us. Swivel racks definitely a must have to make the board racks usable and better to swing the racks in when towing and the surf pipe is great for noise and CO. We do not have the lights but can absolutely understand the need for them but we don't boat after dusk. Beyond that I could talk about every option if you had any specific questions but your build is off to a great start but seriously I would not get one without the 7" screen. Congrats again you are going to love it!
    2021 Moomba Mondo, 500lbs of lead, wake makers bag busters
    Raptor 400 1.76 15.5" x 15 prop, changing to 15.5" x 13.25 for summer of 2023

2018 Yamaha 212x (SOLD)