Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 23 Supra SR vs 23 Mooba Kaiyen

Looking at both of the boats wondering pros and cons of each? Dont want anything larger than 21.5 ft, and our family just about 100% only surfs so that would be the only wave I am concerned about. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
    2015 Mondo Surf Edition

SR all day. Been on a few of them. They throw down. The tower and bimini is better and the surf system is better than the Moomba. Add an extra 500 pounds and 2-3 people can surf and wakeboard all day no problems.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

As far as stock displacement goes, see chart below. In terms of options vs. stock, you’d have to run the list down. SR will have better fit/finish for sure, but I don’t know what is standard for the 2023’s on either boat. I’m sure others will have comments that give you more information. What elevation is your lake? How large is your regular crew?

2021 Mojo, 6.2L Raptor 400/1.76, Acme 3407 15.5x13, G6, Flow3, +6500 lbs ballast
    2005 Mobius LSV (sold)
    Windermere Lake, B.C., 2800' Elevation
    2021 Mojo Mods

I've had moombas and now in a Supra. If you can afford the Supra, go for it! Some of the key areas:

1. Creature Features - Tower, Screen layout, heated seats, stereo, etc. are just much better.

2. Wave - Have not surfed an SR, but the consistency of my SA vs. Mojo wave is just way better and easier to use.

Go Supra if you can in my opinion....but you will be happy with both!
    2022 SA450
    2019 Mojo
    2017 Mondo - SOLD

I'd put some weight on what Knox states as he's in their back yard and I get a feeling he gets to ride a LOT of boats

that said we considered the SR back in 2020 when we bought our last boat and picked the kaiyen over for 2 reasons:
    -the longer the hull in most cases the easier it will be to get a longer wave out of it. a 22ft boat is almost always going to be a longer wave than a 20ft and more ballast should widen the gap.
    -when it comes time to resell, the 21.5 market is going to be more active than the 20ft. our perceptions were that there were quite a few leftover SR's to pick from back then which told me they don't have the same market that a 21-23ft boat will have.

everyone is correct tho that the features, tech and overall quality of materials will be far superior in the supra but the price will reflect that.
    good luck either way....
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Out of curiosity, how do these 2 boats compare in price? Not MSRP, but out the door price.

I will add the Supra goodies are "Supra"nice. I still think the FXone tower is the best on the market (perhaps the Nautique telescope is better).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Thanks Sandm. Yes, very fortunate to get to ride so many of the great boats around the Knoxville area. The Kaiyen is a solid boat at 21'5". For me, the tiny bow is a deal breaker. We did the photo shoot for 2021 when it first came out. With about 400 in lead and 5 in the boat, Rapa and Sylveria were throwing down. The SR at 20'11" just feels better, almost a smaller SA. I asked Nic if he could throw a double of the Kaiyen, he said not without a lot of effort. Asked him about the SR, he said with about 500 over stock and a normal crew, no problems. The Kaiyen does have a noticeably larger cabin and the walkthrough is nice, but having kids, it just wouldn't work as the moms and kids love bow space. Demo both, 1 will call to you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

I know you mention not wanting to be over 21.5ft. Is this a hard limit based on lake restrictions, or personal preference. Either is valid, but just asking.

I bring this up because at 22ft you have the Craz. Being redesigned you get a lot of carry over goodies from Supra at a lower price point. But if you have to stay at 21.5ft, I understand completely and ignore my comment.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Out of curiosity, how do these 2 boats compare in price? Not MSRP, but out the door price.
    I'm interested to know this as well.

Not to derail the thread but it got me thinking...

With regards to towers, the stock A3 tower for the 2021 Mojo's at the time was poor but the upgraded Pro tower was much better (imo). I looked at both my 2021 Pro tower and the 2023 SR tower and I didn't notice much difference in function, strength, hinge points/access, etc. There are a lot of people here who rave about the Supra towers being so good, what, in your opinion makes it so much better than the regular Moomba Pro tower?

And a final question if anyone wants to comment, where do the SA,SL,SE pickup all their extra boat weight from? Just more fiberglass? The SA maxes out at 3500 lbs ballast, so it's not as pronounced on that model but both the SL&SE have 4000/4700 ballast respectively AND +1000 lbs boat weight over comparable Moomba's. Is it just the extra fiberglass to allow the higher capacity?

I have stock weight envy problems. I want an SL.
    2021 Mojo, 6.2L Raptor 400/1.76, Acme 3407 15.5x13, G6, Flow3, +6500 lbs ballast
    2005 Mobius LSV (sold)
    Windermere Lake, B.C., 2800' Elevation
    2021 Mojo Mods

Default 23 Supra SR vs 23 Mooba Kaiyen

During the skiers tour, the majority of the Supra extra boat weight is from the fxone tower, the rest is just the added mass of more features/equipment. Fiberglass thickness and structure is the same between moomba and Supra.

Granted most Supras have some fiberglass interior structure/storage behind the captains chair that adds mass.

FX1 is a stout tower of more than just some bent 2.5" pipes, the fx1 has quite a bit of machined billet structure along with the power mechanisms that sits below the deck.

The power feature is awesome and like the pro tower allows the Supras to fit in an 8 foot garage door.

Plus I love the look and customization of colors you can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by larry_arizona; 06-15-2023 at 04:47 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan