Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default Raptor Winterization

First time Raptor owner

Is there any need to back fill with Antifreeze if you remove all 5 drain locations? Also do you reinstall or leave out for the winter?

What does everyone do for their ballast system?

I am in KY so we get low teens for maybe 1-2 weeks a year.

Thanks!

No need to backfill antifreeze if all plugs are pulled.

Ballast system, just use pumps to pull as much as possible, pumps are self draining, ballast bags and tanks with a small amount of residual water are fine, plenty of room for expansion.

I leave plugs out until spring, the raptors have a blue plastic plug holder rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Thanks, I found the holder. What are you guys using to test your coolant for freeze protection? I haven't found anything for local for propylene Glycol?

Quote Originally Posted by JHutch View Post
    Thanks, I found the holder. What are you guys using to test your coolant for freeze protection? I haven't found anything for local for propylene Glycol?
    Amazon has several for PG.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

So nobody is pouring RV antifreeze into the water cooling system at all? Just draining the plugs and leaving them go. I live in ND so it gets REALLY cold here.

Default Raptor Winterization

Quote Originally Posted by WildH View Post
    So nobody is pouring RV antifreeze into the water cooling system at all? Just draining the plugs and leaving them go. I live in ND so it gets REALLY cold here.
    I have drained and refilled with marine anti freeze. I just don’t need to use antifreeze anymore. Draining is all I do. 2 boats 4 seasons with a raptor.

1) not necessary
    2) not all marine antifreeze is good enough
    3) it’s pouring $$$ down the drain

Trust Indmar when they designed a self draining raw water cooling system. Nowhere in the manual does it suggest marine antifreeze.

Last edited by larry_arizona; 11-02-2021 at 04:37 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I have a slightly older boat then yours... I get the motor up to temp, let it suck in the antifreeze and then open and drain all the plugs. It may be over kill but its great piece of mind and cheap insurance on freeze protection. It gets cold here, and I dont want to deal with an issue come summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Branden967 View Post
    I have a slightly older boat then yours... I get the motor up to temp, let it suck in the antifreeze and then open and drain all the plugs. It may be over kill but its great piece of mind and cheap insurance on freeze protection. It gets cold here, and I dont want to deal with an issue come summer.
    Open loop cooling system is different than a raptor closed loop/raw water system.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Last year in Texas we had 6 or 7 days below freezing. Single digits. Only drained the raptor. Fired up and ran great all this year! If you have a raptor drain the plugs, forget about it, and go hunting

2017 Supra SA

I just drained the plugs and impeller. Feels weird not using AF but also made winterizing a 10 minute job!