Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Supra SL vs SA for wakeboarding

I know there is a wakeboarding subforum, but it doesn't seem to get a lot of traffic to I am posting here.

Does anyone have any experience wakeboarding behind these two boats? I know the PWT is pulled by the SA. My crew is 95% wakeboard and 5% ski. I am sure we will dabble more into surfing, but it really isn't our interest right now. I demo'd the S23 and thought that was my boat, but the dealer was not giving the discount that I was expecting from my previous dealer. I recently moved. Anyway the I have been looking at the SA for awhile and like all the features. As a Nautique fan I think it looks very similar to the G23. I have heard good reviews that some people like the wake better, but I would assume they are both more than enough for my talent level.

I do like the flip up seat/air dam on the SL and the arm bow rests. I also like the port flip up seat on the SL because it has a foot well for the observer seat. It doesn't appear to me that the SA has this feature. Can anyone confirm?

Anyone running the 400 for wakeboarding? I am leaning toward the 400 due to smaller crew size and don't foresee a fully or over ballasted boat. I am beginner but working on spins and inverts, so I consider myself advanced beginner. I do have a couple in my crew landing basic inverts. I don't see us adding any more weight above factory ballast. A quick google search puts me at 400' above sea level. We generally have only 5-6 people in the boat. Maybe once or twice a year we would have a full boat of 10-12 when we go on a family vacation and all our friends, cousins, and relatives are there.

Thanks everyone.

I am actually going to Augusta on Monday and Tuesday so I plan to stop into Southtown Watersports while I am down there.

Current Gen SA is an outstanding wakeboarding boat.

Monster clean wake and I only use 100% bow roughly 55%-60% rears with 600# of lead on board already and light crew. 400 with the 1.76 trans pulls it all day.

Super easy to dial in the wake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I regularly ride both a 2018 SA and a 2021 SL. Have also been on the newer SA, like with Larry and others. Both wakes are amazing. I feel the SL when weighted is a bit more of a longer ramp whereas the SA is more vert. Both have nice transitions and clean up easy. Now, as with any boat, you can't run full ballast and slow, but half ballast or so and 21.5 is still great! Running over 80%, you'll need to be around 22. The 400 with the new 1.7 gear drive ratio is more than plenty at your elevation. For surfing, most keep 500 pounds of lead on board to help on light crew days. Both the SL and SA we ride are set up about the same. Both great boats. Get the 1 that calls to you and fits your needs best. Both these boats are at my dock, we wakeboard and surf both interchangeably with no real significant performance difference other than what I described earlier. Enjoy and thanks for the wakeboard question!!
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

What lake are you surfing, or going to be surfing? You said you moved.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Quote Originally Posted by HFarr View Post
    What lake are you surfing, or going to be surfing? You said you moved.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    We moved to Lexington SC. We are currently about 10-20 minutes from Lake Murray depending on which part we drive to. My wife just completed residency so we are hoping to move to the Lake in the next year or two (working on student loans first).

Larry and Knox, thanks for all the info. I am really looking forward to meeting with the dealer. Hopefully, it will be a better experience than the Nautique dealer (I did two demos and had checkbook in hand, but we couldn't even get close on numbers). The SA and SL I built both are MSRP less than wht the Nautique was after discount. So I am cautiously optimistic. I know given current market there are little discounts to be had and many dealers have sold all their build slots. WE will see what happens. Ill keep everyone updated.

Quote Originally Posted by mgswake View Post
    We moved to Lexington SC. We are currently about 10-20 minutes from Lake Murray depending on which part we drive to. My wife just completed residency so we are hoping to move to the Lake in the next year or two (working on student loans first).

Larry and Knox, thanks for all the info. I am really looking forward to meeting with the dealer. Hopefully, it will be a better experience than the Nautique dealer (I did two demos and had checkbook in hand, but we couldn't even get close on numbers). The SA and SL I built both are MSRP less than wht the Nautique was after discount. So I am cautiously optimistic. I know given current market there are little discounts to be had and many dealers have sold all their build slots. WE will see what happens. Ill keep everyone updated.
    If I were buying a 22, I would get the SL

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

The FX one power tower doesn't fold in half on the way down does it? Is that just a computer animation on the website. I've watched it about 15 times trying to figure out if they changed the tower. The youtube walkthroughs I watched the tower folds forward toward the windshield. By the way I love the cover over the tower option. I really dislike scrubbing bugs off the tower and speakers.

The FX one power tower doesn't fold in half on the way down does it? Is that just a computer animation on the website. I've watched it about 15 times trying to figure out if they changed the tower. The youtube walkthroughs I watched the tower folds forward toward the windshield. By the way I love the cover over the tower option. I really dislike scrubbing bugs off the tower and speakers.
    The FX1 fold at the base and tucks behind windshield.

The over tower cover is glorious.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

how is the bow rise? do you have to stand or use the bolster seat when wakeboarding? surfing?

how is the bow rise? do you have to stand or use the bolster seat when wakeboarding? surfing?
    Wakeboarding the bow is low. I only use my bolster due to tinted windshield. I prefer to sit above the windshield anyways.

With 100% bow full and 60%rear, the boat is fairly flat at 21-22mph

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan