Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Lake Powell issues

Let’s start a informative thread here on the state of Powell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I'll start:

It's low
    2020 Supra SA

really should change the topic to the west as this is not an issue unique to powell. it, along with mead, seem to get more press due to size but look up some norcal lakes and you will see similar stories. idaho's reservoirs are draining early as well but not to the extent of the colorado river basin.
    the great salt lake in a similar state.

interesting story here from iran that talks about another lake that has shrunk to half it's size. I take it with a grain of salt as CNN can be slanted and pushing global warming but they don't spend a lot of time talking about dams which have contributed to the issue, only global warming as that's more "newsworthy".
    https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/202...tl-ldn-vpx.cnn
    google salton sea and there's another lake slowly drying up and it's leaving a dirt mess behind that are eventually going to cause some issues in palm springs.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

We were there in June and had no issues at all. My neighbor just got back last week and he hit a rock/island that was a few feet underwater. The estimate is $17-20K to get everything fixed. And to top it off, It was a brand new MOJO only 2 months old

here is a graph that shows the water level

http://graphs.water-data.com/lakepowell/

Bullfrog marina main ramp is closed but the executive launch next to the houseboats is open. Wahweap State Line ramp is closed but the main ramp is open, and i think Antelope Point launch is closed as well. I think Halls ramp is also closed. The gas dock at Halls is closed and Dangling Rope Marina is also closed.

this is from their website:

Multiple Lake Powell Launch Ramps Closed Due to Low Water
    Date Posted: 7/27/2021
    Closed to all access: Wahweap Stateline. Closed to motorized vessel: Hite, Halls Crossing, Bullfrog North, Antelope Point Public. Closed to houseboat launch: Wahweap Main. Open: Bullfrog Main, Antelope Point Business.

Dangling Rope Marina Closed Through 2021
    Date Posted: 7/20/2021
    Due to significant wind damage and low water conditions, Dangling Rope Marina will not reopen in 2021.The damaged docks are not safe for visitors or employees.
    Last edited by 996scott; 08-10-2021 at 01:22 PM.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Is Powell and mead salt/brackish water?

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

nope, fresh water coming from the Colorado river.
    Last edited by 996scott; 08-10-2021 at 01:23 PM.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    nope, fresh water coming from the Colorado river.
    Wasn’t sure based on areas of Utah upstream being in a salt basin. Obviously the run off of rain and snow is fresh, just thought it could pick up salt on its way.

Out west, are there plans to build natural gas power plants to reduce need of hydro in case water runs out?

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

here is a graph that shows the water level

http://graphs.water-data.com/lakepowell/

Bullfrog marina main ramp is closed but the executive launch next to the houseboats is open. Wahweap State Line ramp is closed but the other one is open, and i think Antelope Point launch is closed as well. The gas dock at Halls is closed and Dangling Rope is also closed.

this is from their website:

Multiple Lake Powell Launch Ramps Closed Due to Low Water
    Date Posted: 7/27/2021
    Closed to all access: Wahweap Stateline. Closed to motorized vessel: Hite, Halls Crossing, Bullfrog North, Antelope Point Public. Closed to houseboat launch: Wahweap Main. Open: Bullfrog Main, Antelope Point Business.

Dangling Rope Marina Closed Through 2021
    Date Posted: 7/20/2021
    Due to significant wind damage and low water conditions, Dangling Rope Marina will not reopen in 2021.The damaged docks are not safe for visitors or employees.
    This summary is not quite accurate...
    There is only one purpose built launch ramp still open on the lake - The Antelope Point Valet Launch. All other open launches are in an improvised operational state with either boiler plate used to improve traction or primitive launch conditions. The Antelope Point ramp is expected to be out of water in September.

Current status of launches is mostly good, but Bullfrog Executive = Bullfrog North and it is 100% closed. The only launch on the north end of the lake available is Bullfrog Main, which is now a diversion from the concrete launch ramp to a spur road built in the 1950s or 1960s that has been submerged since approximately 1966. NPS has installed boiler plate on the road itself, but it is very shallow and will require a lot of drop into the water. Better success is had by launching off the side of this road, where the road base was built up and you can get much deeper faster. Still there are reports of people dinging props on submerged obstacles.

On the south end of the lake, Wahweap main ramp is still open for personal boats, but requires 4x4 since you are definitely off the ramp now. Boiler plate is installed in multiple spots, but there is a long wait. NPS has opened an auxiliary ramp that was constructed sometime in the 1960s in the area of Wahweap Marina, but it just barely opened and I haven't heard anything about how well it is working. NPS is working on stateline auxiliary launch as well, so they anticipate two launches available down south in time for complete closure of Wahweap and Antelope Point.

Halls Crossing Marina no longer has gas or sewer pumpout available, though they still have the store. When we were there a few weeks ago, the snack bar was open at the start of the trip and closed at the end of it with a "closed until further notice" sign on the window. I suspect it was due to staffing issues. I haven't heard of any service closures at any other marina other than Dangling Rope, which is hard closed due to the damage that occurred in June. The closure of Dangling Rope has resulted in rental companies recommending against taking houseboats from the south end more than 25 miles uplake, which has resulted in large sections of the lake being made available without much company to those who have bigger gas tanks!

Lake Powell is still one of the most beautiful places on earth. The change in water levels is opening up new features and views not seen in a long time. I am waiting for the reappearance of Gregory Natural Bridge, not seen in 60 years, up the Escalante arm of the lake in 50-mile Canyon. Already some have dived beneath the surface and passed under the bridge to the other side. Supposedly, we will be able to boat under it in the spring.

Caution is always key in Powell. Use Navionics charts to give you an idea of what might be there, but keep your eyes open as well. We encountered a woman who had rented a boat from one of the marinas up the canyon we were staying in who was very casual about the potential dangers in the lake and kind of acted like the lake was an amusement park. She hit a submerged tree with her prop and pulled the e-stop lanyard and was shocked when her boat wouldn't restart. Fortunately, she had a kayak and was able to come back to our boat to get us but was mad that her radio wouldn't work 5 bends up a canyon. The next day we heard her on the radio again as a person who had run aground in another canyon. Be prepared, aware, and don't go alone.

2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    2000 Sharpe Houseboat 70x16 (Lives at Lake Powell)

So the executive ramp at Bullfrog is completely closed?
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

So the executive ramp at Bullfrog is completely closed?

Yes, but PWC and non-motorized launches are still possible. They are building boiler plate to extend the ramps and they will be available soon, but until then, only the improvised Bullfrog Main is possible. Once the boiler plate is done, they will be able to launch from both ramps down to WSL 3525, or about 25 feet below current water level, but after that who knows what will be possible.

2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    2000 Sharpe Houseboat 70x16 (Lives at Lake Powell)