Default Leaking Rudder Box

So I noticed a small leak coming from the top of my rudder box the other day. It looks like replacement parts have a grease fitting to grease it, but mine does not that I can see. I would assume grease would help to keep water out. Any ideas? Do I just need to remove the rudder and replace the seals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Moomba Craz
    6.2L Raptor 400
    6 Pump Ballast, Autowake 2.0, Flow 2.0 Surf System
    OJ 15x13 Wake Prop
    Digital Cruise Pro 3 (paddle wheel)
    Wetsounds Rev 10's

2005 Supra Launch 22SSV - Sold

Here is a cut away of an aftermarket.

2018 Moomba Craz
    6.2L Raptor 400
    OJ 15x13 Wake Prop
    Wetsounds Rev 10's

I did this early in the season. There is only 1 single O-ring that keeps water out and a carbon based wear sleeve. The new O-rings are slightly thicker and made from Viton. I had an extra set of hand on the outside of the boat but it only took ~2hrs from start to finish. Skiers ditched the grease fitting version in 2004-ish for this new style.

I did a write up on it and posted it somewhere.
    If you go the aftermarket route the grease fitting is installed after the box is installed and you you will need de-bond to get the old 1 off.

I have an extra O-ring straight from the OEM that makes them for SC. PM me and I'll throw it in the mail.
    Last edited by Holdmybeer; 10-05-2021 at 02:07 PM.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Thanks for his thread –
    I found a Rudder box leak in my 2014 Moomba Mondo last fall when I was crawling around the engine compartments looking for the source of a transmission fluid leak. Dealer found the issue and thankfully was a simple fix at the shift linkage (although wont know for sure until it goes back in the water this year)
    This post more for FYI as Moomba’s course of action is a full rudder assembly and rudder box at $1200 in Canada = ugh!!! My Rudder is in perfect shape.

Thank you to jcarter20 and holdmybeer I ordered Marine Hardware 1" Rudder Box Seal Kit from Bakes Marine ($94 US + shipping). Although still crazy for what you are getting its not $1200.

Fingers crossed . the ice only went of the lake this week so I have time to get the boat from storage and install the fix before surf time.

Happy surfing for 2024.
    2014 Mondo
    Manual Flow Surf
    650lb Rear Lockers
    750 IBS
    Assault 330

Quote Originally Posted by JRBICEFLOW View Post
    Thanks for his thread –
    I found a Rudder box leak in my 2014 Moomba Mondo last fall when I was crawling around the engine compartments looking for the source of a transmission fluid leak. Dealer found the issue and thankfully was a simple fix at the shift linkage (although wont know for sure until it goes back in the water this year)
    This post more for FYI as Moomba’s course of action is a full rudder assembly and rudder box at $1200 in Canada = ugh!!! My Rudder is in perfect shape.

Thank you to jcarter20 and holdmybeer I ordered Marine Hardware 1" Rudder Box Seal Kit from Bakes Marine ($94 US + shipping). Although still crazy for what you are getting its not $1200.

Fingers crossed . the ice only went of the lake this week so I have time to get the boat from storage and install the fix before surf time.

Happy surfing for 2024.
    Just a heads up, that image above is only the seal kit, not the full rudder box. That is also different than the stock rudder box on my 2018 Craz. I don’t know what your boat has, but I just simply replaced the o-ring in the existing rudder box. It fixed my leak, but I still check it every few times out. Can’t believe a single o-ring is all that keeps an $80k boat from sinking!

2018 Moomba Craz
    6.2L Raptor 400
    OJ 15x13 Wake Prop
    Wetsounds Rev 10's

Jcarter is not wrong. Single O-ring and about 1-2hrs of time and it is fixed. I did a whole write up on how to replace the O-ring.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....ut-grease-zerk

Hardest part is the damn cotter pin. It's 316SS and does not want to bend.

I would replace the box when I also replaced the rudder. The shaft of my rudder showed slight wear but nothing to worry about. If yours has grooves or is worn and causing the leak, you should replace the whole assembly.

If you have time, pull it and then make a better informed decision.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow