Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

What would you do to improve the adhesion? My Makai is going to get this treatment so I'm curious what you change to make it stick better.
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Minnesota

Default 2022 Sound Proofing

Quote Originally Posted by benny32 View Post
    What would you do to improve the adhesion? My Makai is going to get this treatment so I'm curious what you change to make it stick better.
    Not sure yet, perhaps two sided tape.

Whatever I find, I still would like it to be removable.

They stick well to flat surfaces, it’s the contoured surfaces that need adhesion improvement.

Based on how Supra adds their stick on foam, I am probably over killing trying to cover any possible surface of the engine hatch and trans cover. Doing just the flat surfaces are probably good enough.

The main floor won’t be an issue as the gas tank sandwiches the foam and will keep it secure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by larry_arizona; 10-12-2021 at 11:12 AM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Been strongly considering this but my 17 SA has carpet on the engine hatch and rear storage. Not sure if it would stick. What do you think?

Maybe I could remove the carpet since it’s already ugly AF….?

Quote Originally Posted by eder10986 View Post
    Been strongly considering this but my 17 SA has carpet on the engine hatch and rear storage. Not sure if it would stick. What do you think?

Maybe I could remove the carpet since it’s already ugly AF….?

I would take a peek under the Grey carpet. It’s likely Fiberglass coated with a black barrier paint.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Not sure if flexseal tape comes 2 sided or not, but I can tell you their regular flex tape sticks like their ain't no tomorrow. Whatever you put it on, it will stay!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Quote Originally Posted by HFarr View Post
    Not sure if flexseal tape comes 2 sided or not, but I can tell you their regular flex tape sticks like their ain't no tomorrow. Whatever you put it on, it will stay!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    But can you remove it?

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    But can you remove it?

Why would you want to? Everyone likes a quiet boat.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Good find Larry, thanks for following up with your results and opinion on this. I'm definitely considering it. I did the dynamat already so I'll have to check and see whether this will stick to it. The biggest improvement I've noticed so far is stuffing the cover under the rear seat (directly on top of transmission hatch). It looks terrible and normally wet boat cover is not good long term but it makes a huge difference.
    2021 Mojo, 6.2L Raptor 400/1.76, Acme 3407 15.5x13, G6, Flow3, +6500 lbs ballast
    2005 Mobius LSV (sold)
    Windermere Lake, B.C., 2800' Elevation
    2021 Mojo Mods

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    The main floor won’t be an issue as the gas tank sandwiches the foam and will keep it secure.
    I'd be real careful how much of this is placed in areas where water can get to it. looks like foam and over the years in some locations could deteriorate/rot and start falling. once in the bilge it can be sucked up by the pump and now you are either without a working bilge on the water or replacing them and cleaning out the little foam pieces monthly.

just some food for thought not knowing exactly what the makeup of this stuff is.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    I'd be real careful how much of this is placed in areas where water can get to it. looks like foam and over the years in some locations could deteriorate/rot and start falling. once in the bilge it can be sucked up by the pump and now you are either without a working bilge on the water or replacing them and cleaning out the little foam pieces monthly.

just some food for thought not knowing exactly what the makeup of this stuff is.
    Good points.

The foam is water friendly as you have to wet the foam to revive the shape from compression packaging.

The adhesive is also uneffected by water as well, however, as mentioned above, the adhesive is questionable on curved surfaces.

The surfaces under engine hatch, trans hatch and main floor are protected from direct water contact.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan