Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hot topic? Clarification on Winterization

Raptor 400 clarification in simplest form…

1 - winterization = draining engine from all relevant points (5 if my memory serves me right)

2 - if one chooses not to drain, is running the engine to temp to allow for thermostat to open and then filling with antifreeze equally as beneficial as #1?

3 - for those of you who drain. Do you THEN fill up with antifreeze to avoid corrosion?

4 - Opinion, what’s best? #1, #2, or #3?

I recognize these examples do not include oil and filter change, fogging (if one likes to do it), filling tank and adding STABIL, draining ballast and winterizing ballast pumps (running backwards and forwards and/or running antifreeze in reverse), and all the other necessities (fluid exchange/top off, bleach in bags, etc).

I’m comfortable with winterizing. Just wanted to seek advice on BEST practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Hot topic? Clarification on Winterization

That raptors are closed loop cooling system so you only need to check the engine coolant is ok for the coldest temps you will see during winter. No need to warm engine to open thermostat. Engine coolant should be changed every 2 seasons.

Raw water cooling loop. This is the system you need to drain with the blue plugs/crossover hose/impeller housing. Seems each year, Indmar slightly moves the drain points.(my 2018 was different than my 2021). The idea is the same though. The drain points are all you need to do. It’s really that easy. The antifreeze method works too, but I prefer the drain points…….why you may ask….. because the Indmar manual says so.

For the record, I have done both methods successfully.

Last edited by larry_arizona; 09-26-2021 at 12:36 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

my .02 fwiw...

if you store indoors, drain raw water empty and stick boat away for the winter.
    if you store outdoors or somewhere that gets zero or below in the winter I'd recommend draining raw water and filling back up with antifreeze.

we have only used antifreeze once back in '07 with our first supra the first year we winterized it. smarted up and realized how easy it was to do so we never paid for winterization or antifreeze again. change the oil, clean it up, remove ballast and tuck it away in the garage for the winter.
    I would use antifreeze if stored outdoors or in a pole barn that gets below freezing during the winter just for added insurance.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    my .02 fwiw...

if you store indoors, drain raw water empty and stick boat away for the winter.
    if you store outdoors or somewhere that gets zero or below in the winter I'd recommend draining raw water and filling back up with antifreeze.

we have only used antifreeze once back in '07 with our first supra the first year we winterized it. smarted up and realized how easy it was to do so we never paid for winterization or antifreeze again. change the oil, clean it up, remove ballast and tuck it away in the garage for the winter.
    I would use antifreeze if stored outdoors or in a pole barn that gets below freezing during the winter just for added insurance.
    That’s what I’m thinking too. We’re in NC. Less than 10 days below freezing on a bad winter. She’ll be outside on our concrete pad next to the house.

Quote Originally Posted by eder10986 View Post
    That’s what I’m thinking too. We’re in NC. Less than 10 days below freezing on a bad winter. She’ll be outside on our concrete pad next to the house.

If you have a raptor motor just remove the plugs, no need for any antifreeze, warming or anything.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Mine was just drained and opened up last year and stored in a pole barn by the previous owner and then myself before the season. My barn is insulated and on real cold spells (-10F at night) the barn sits in the teens without the heater. Boat was fine and no issues. In NC, I wouldn't worry about antifreeze at all. Maybe get a nice tarp to go over the cover and keep the heavy rain out, just make sure some air can flow under the tarp so you don't get mold growth.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Draining the raw water loop is all you need, even if you don’t get all the water to drain, it provides plenty of room for expansion if any residual water remains.

Problem with antifreeze is it can get diluted with raw water left in the system.

Either way, I would just pull the drains even if you pushed anti freeze through the system.

It’s not that hard to pull the drains.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I run 4 or 5 gallons of RV/marine antifreeze through mine then pull the drain plugs (and reinstall) just to be safe.
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

I changed the oil, then ran 3 gallons of rv antifreeze thru the strainer and waited for it to come out the exhaust, then pulled all plugs amd impellar , also put a gallon in each ballast bag and the hard tank and ran all pumps in reverse to drain/ run antifreeze thru pumps . Not sure how necessary the ballast winterization is but I wanted to be safe. Just make sure to flush the antifreeze out in the spring with water so you aren’t putting it into the lake lol

2020 craz

Just be sure to not use the ethanol RV antifreeze. It’s hard on rubber.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan