Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HFarr View Post
    Man! After reading this and several of the other comments, it makes you realize how much work having fun can be! LOL!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    Tell me about it. Our season in NC is not over yet although it’s starting to get chilly. We’ve towed almost 2k miles. Add all the prep/clean/maintenance.

But it’s always worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're in the same situation. We have a 43' toy hauler and our Makai. Last year my wife came up with the idea of driving my F250 as her daily driver as her Tahoe really didnt like pulling the Makai all that much. So traded the tahoe off on a F350 for the toy hauler. I have a cheap car for my daily driver vs driving the F350 every day. We are only about 25 miles from the lake so pretty quick to set up most weekends. But we also take a few long trips each year so the F350 is better suited for that.
    2021 Makai

Man! After reading this and several of the other comments, it makes you realize how much work having fun can be! LOL!
    It's incredible, really!

Quote Originally Posted by Holdmybeer View Post
    Sell the trailer. Find a lake house and be done.....lol
    This is the way to go... Maybe i need a second job

Quote Originally Posted by CptAmerica View Post
    This is the way to go... Maybe i need a second job
    You and me both!
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Having a place on the lake certainly does make things easier. No doubt. I know timing is everything with property values, but if you can find the right deal, just do it. It will pay off. Especially if you have kids. We bought a fixer upper with no dock about 4 years ago. Fixed it up and built a dock with double lifts. 2 hour drive from where we live, but no getting boat ready, towing, or packing up all sorts of extra clothes, food supplies etc. Just take the cover off and hit the lift switch. I wish we had done it 10 years earlier. Time with the kids and their friends is just priceless! My advise to everyone is if you can find something do it! You won't regret it if you love the water.

2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Having a place on the lake certainly does make things easier. No doubt. I know timing is everything with property values, but if you can find the right deal, just do it. It will pay off. Especially if you have kids. We bought a fixer upper with no dock about 4 years ago. Fixed it up and built a dock with double lifts. 2 hour drive from where we live, but no getting boat ready, towing, or packing up all sorts of extra clothes, food supplies etc. Just take the cover off and hit the lift switch. I wish we had done it 10 years earlier. Time with the kids and their friends is just priceless! My advise to everyone is if you can find something do it! You won't regret it if you love the water.

I'm in Ohio. All the lakes around me are state parks, and the private ones are too small to enjoy or too shallow to do anything. I would be looking at a 4-6hr drive to get to anything good and Lake Cumberland stopped permitting docks in 1994 so the grandfathered houses are priced hella high.

We have been looking consistently, but being 300 miles from our lake house and/or boat would mean no more after work sets.

Why is having fun so complicated?
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

A few years back there was a company that would advertise really heavily for lake lots on Norris. Like 29k for lake view with a slip. Lots with no lake views were like 9 k. Had I been more into boating back then I would have probably jumped on it. Only thing is they were way up on the Lafollette side of Norris and from where im at that would make it like an hour plus ride to get there from my house. With property values where they are now, I definitely wish I had jumped on it back then.
    2019 Craz
    OJ 950
    Wakemakers bags
    Heatercraft triple heater

Quote Originally Posted by Mxmark4 View Post
    A few years back there was a company that would advertise really heavily for lake lots on Norris. Like 29k for lake view with a slip. Lots with no lake views were like 9 k. Had I been more into boating back then I would have probably jumped on it. Only thing is they were way up on the Lafollette side of Norris and from where im at that would make it like an hour plus ride to get there from my house. With property values where they are now, I definitely wish I had jumped on it back then.
    I think there are a few developments like that on Norris. We stayed in a house in Rock Harbor and it was really nice, but holy steep hills. Almost absurdly steep subdivision roads.

Had to launch at public marina, then dock at rock harbor community marina.

Tons of 1/3 to 1/2 acre lots. 10k-30k a few lake front lots around 125k, walking distance to community marina, 60k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Mxmark4 View Post
    My issue with Norris property (not the lake) is that I can find "affordable" lots with lake views or even water front, but to build I need to clear a mountain side, build a road, dig into mountain for foundation, and all with TVA approval. 10+ years ago this would be at reasonable cost, but now it is not something I just couldn't do with current life and fun cost.
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Quote Originally Posted by CptAmerica View Post
    Not every trip, no... but certainly some! Since we are only 1.5 hours from the lake, I forsee LOTS of saturday day trips where the trailer will stay home. But I also predict plenty of Sat-Sun, and Fri-Sat-Sun trips as well.

There is a second lake we go to a couple times a year that is 3 hours away, where we go for a full week, or maybe 4 or 5 days. So there are certainly going to be plenty of trips where I need both the trailer and the boat. If we only went to 1 lake, and it was closer (like you, 10 minutes away... you bastard! ), I could just shuttle both with a single truck by doing 2 trips. But even 1.5 hours away, which is relatively close, is too far to go with a single truck. That would be 4.5 hours of driving each way.
    Curious where you're located. We've been doing two tow vehicles since,,, forever basically. Full size SUVs for the boat, and as the trailers got bigger the trucks got bigger. Both have always been daily drivers - we don't really have the luxury of having a used car lot at home.

Thankfully my wife didn't mind towing the boat but now we've been passing the torch down to the kids (18 and 20) and they handling it like pros.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...