Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Anybody else need TWO tow vehicles? What did you end up with?

I have a scenario where I have TWO things that will need to be towed. My travel trailer, and my soon-to-be-mine moomba. We have decided that buying a daily driver for my wife that doubles as a tow vehicle, like a Ford Expidition would actually cost MORE money than keeping her daily driver honda civic, and buying a second truck and using it only for boat towing duty. I currently tow my travel trailer with a 2012 F150 3.5EB. Does great.

What would you do for a second tow vehicle? Would you have a daily that can ALSO tow? or go with a second truck that only pulls tow duty? I am eyeballing a Tundra with 120k miles for under 17k. Although it SOUNDS strange to have two trucks who's only job is to tow two different RVs 4 months out of the year, it's cheaper than daily driving two vehicles that can ALSO tow enough. (i hope that makes sense)
    Last edited by CptAmerica; 09-22-2021 at 06:33 PM.

I have had two full size 1/2 tons pick ups since 2015

Currently
    2019 F150
    2021 F150

Crew cabs are more useful to me than SUV’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    I have had two full size 1/2 tons pick ups since 2015

Currently
    2019 F150
    2021 F150

Crew cabs are more useful to me than SUV’s

But are those limited to tow duties? (and home depot/dump of course)... or do you daily driver them?

I know there are wives who could pull a trailer/boat but my wife isn’t one of them and so I’ll never have a reason to buy two tow vehicles…

That being said I wanted my wife to get a Expedition or Tahoe so we had an optional tow vehicle, but my wife refuses to drive a full size SUV or 1/2 ton truck…she says too difficult to park in the hobby lobby, grocery store, hair dresser, etc parking lot..
    2021 Moomba Max

don't feel bad if you end up with a garage full of rigs that don't do much
    we have a '16 silverado z71 that pretty much only tows. it's only logged 4k in the last 2 years and majority was back and forth to the ramp. we also have a 99 f250 superduty that tows and is our landscape/dump rig. along with 2 cars and a kawi as daily drivers(even tho gf works from home).

used cars right now are at an all time high. I'd hold off until next spring and see what the market does since you don't need anything right away. prices are still sky high on used but, along with boats, the market seems to have leveled off and prices have retreated a little. my gut says there will be further drops in used pricing and inventory increases over the next 6 months but my crystal ball broke yesterday so it's all an uneducated guess.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by CptAmerica View Post
    But are those limited to tow duties? (and home depot/dump of course)... or do you daily driver them?
    Both daily rides.

Wife drives the 21
    I drive the 19

The 21 is the only one we use to tow the SA

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    don't feel bad if you end up with a garage full of rigs that don't do much
    we have a '16 silverado z71 that pretty much only tows. it's only logged 4k in the last 2 years and majority was back and forth to the ramp. we also have a 99 f250 superduty that tows and is our landscape/dump rig. along with 2 cars and a kawi as daily drivers(even tho gf works from home).

used cars right now are at an all time high. I'd hold off until next spring and see what the market does since you don't need anything right away. prices are still sky high on used but, along with boats, the market seems to have leveled off and prices have retreated a little. my gut says there will be further drops in used pricing and inventory increases over the next 6 months but my crystal ball broke yesterday so it's all an uneducated guess.
    Yeah, if I go with my current plan, we will end up with two daily drivers, and two trucks. Both trucks only being used for towing/home depot/dump

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Both daily rides.

Wife drives the 21
    I drive the 19

The 21 is the only one we use to tow the SA
    This is an easier way to go, but the problem with daily driving a 60k truck, is when it comes time to replace it, it is a nasty hit. I find these vehicles too expensive to put frivolous daily driver type miles on them. We both commute 60 miles a day (30 miles from work).

Quote Originally Posted by CptAmerica View Post
    Yeah, if I go with my current plan, we will end up with two daily drivers, and two trucks. Both trucks only being used for towing/home depot/dump

This is an easier way to go, but the problem with daily driving a 60k truck, is when it comes time to replace it, it is a nasty hit. I find these vehicles too expensive to put frivolous daily driver type miles on them. We both commute 60 miles a day (30 miles from work).
    Just don’t like cars in General. I have a fun car, but just prefer trucks.

Wife prefers a truck too, no issues parking it.

We actually work at the same company and don’t car pool.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Pitch the pull trailer and get a motor home.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Why not have a 3rd vehicle just for towing? Then pick and drive he/she choices on a daily drivers to log miles and fuel for the daily commute.

I have a tow rig that logs 1-2k miles per year. Used Diesel, so it pulls my boat and car trailer. Plus, when pulling something heavy I like the brakes. New trucks are pretty amazing for towing, but costly.

I have not owned a car as a daily driver for 20+ years. Just does not fit me, but my commute was only to the airport for the last 20 years - every other week. No daily office. Not your situation.

2018 Supra SL400