Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default 2019 Makai Surf Setting suggestions

Hi folks,

I have stock ballast and 650 lbs of lead to work with. When I surf with 5 adults on the boat, no problem to ride without the rope until the boat runs out of gas. Switch it up to having 1 adult and 4 kids on the boat I can’t seem to swing it with settings remaining the same.

I ride goofy and I’m not sure what my pitch and roll numbers are because 1. I don’t typically use autowake and 2. I’m not in the boat when I’m trying to ride. My wife pulls me, but is hesitant to pop through screens and wants to stay focused on driving.

I did try 11.5 and 12 mph. I am positive all the air is out of the bags as well.

I did try 1 run with autowake on and the “move passengers to port” warning came up. Only so much I can do with the 8 to 13 year olds. I could run a little less tab I suppose I think it’s set to about 70.

I didn’t monkey with it too much on the last outing. I was last up and we were on a bit of a time crunch.

The 13 year old girls on the other hand can ride effortlessly even before I added the lead.

Thanks in advance - I may just need another 300 lbs but thought I would ask first.

the first thing i would try is different speeds. 11.5-12 mph may be too fast. My mondo is at 9.6 for a good wave.

Second that on the speed. I have a Makai and run about 10.2-10.5 and have good waves with stock ballast and 4 people on the boat. Make sure your center plate is never above 20.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Where do you currently have the lead placed? For a light crew I have found most of the time Autowake struggles a bit to get the optimal wake vs having a few more adults in there, then its pretty spot on. We generally run at 10.8 regular and goofy. 70 may be too much on your surf tab, I think my goofy plate is 60-65 with the center plate at 0 with a light crew. For manual ballast goofy, Id suggest trying 100% bow, 80% port and 100% starboard. Kids on the starboard and rear seat
    Last edited by RUGER761; 09-21-2021 at 11:34 AM.
    2021 Makai

Quote Originally Posted by RUGER761 View Post
    Where do you currently have the lead placed? For a light crew I have found most of the time Autowake struggles a bit to get the optimal wake vs having a few more adults in there, then its pretty spot on. We generally run at 10.8 regular and goofy. 70 may be too much on your surf tab, I think my goofy plate is 60-65 with the center plate at 0 with a light crew. For manual ballast goofy, Id suggest trying 100% bow, 80% port and 100% starboard. Kids on the starboard and rear seat
    This is almost my same scenario on our 21 Makai. I don't have any lead at all.

2021 Moomba Makai

You just need more weight on your lighter days. You can get more lead or replace your rear bags with the WakeMakers bags which will add 700#.

In this situation: "I did try 1 run with autowake on and the “move passengers to port” warning came up. Only so much I can do with the 8 to 13 year olds." to maximize your current setup try moving some of your lead to port.
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans
    WakeMakers 1350s in the rear & 1K in Lead

Thanks for all of the responses everyone. I’ll try to slow it down a bit and see if that helps. Seems like when I go much below 11 the wave feels too soft. I have several things to try as the season comes to a close here in Ohio.

On the WakeMakers bag comment - I really can’t afford to loose the storage bins. I store a tube in each one and they barely fit…..darn kiddos and their tubing…lol.

Quote Originally Posted by RUGER761 View Post
    Trying to remember exactly I think I have 200 port under the bag, 300 starboard under the bag and 150 to move where necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Max20 View Post
    Thanks for all of the responses everyone. I’ll try to slow it down a bit and see if that helps. Seems like when I go much below 11 the wave feels too soft. I have several things to try as the season comes to a close here in Ohio.

On the WakeMakers bag comment - I really can’t afford to loose the storage bins. I store a tube in each one and they barely fit…..darn kiddos and their tubing…lol.
    I hear you loud and clear. I have College age sons and daughter that even with all the surfing they and their friends do, the flicking tubes still end up having to be pulled! I end up pulling two 3-seaters at the time. People don't realize how much resistance a tube puts on a boat. Those things don't like to slide across the water easily. That's when my fuel gauge really takes a hit!

2021 Moomba Makai

Quote Originally Posted by HFarr View Post
    I hear you loud and clear. I have College age sons and daughter that even with all the surfing they and their friends do, the flicking tubes still end up having to be pulled! I end up pulling two 3-seaters at the time. People don't realize how much resistance a tube puts on a boat. Those things don't like to slide across the water easily. That's when my fuel gauge really takes a hit!

I pull a 3 seater Warbird Chariot for my kids, nephews, and in-laws. I can watch the fuel change drop as the RPM's go up. It is worse than surfing slammed with a crew of 11 in the boat.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow