Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
    Insurance should cover it, no more ignorant than running it headlong into the shore or sinking it with no plug.
    Engine damage is a grey area.

Sabotage, sugar in gas tank, engine fire, vandalism are fairly black and white.

Wrong fuel, water in fuel are harder to prove.

Engine wear and tear would not be covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Insurance should cover it, no more ignorant than running it headlong into the shore or sinking it with no plug.
    You make valid points that I cannot argue with.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

depends on the insurance I would say....
    from skisafe:

What am I not covered for under my policy?
    Unfortunately, we can’t cover everything. Here are some things your policy may exclude:

Natural wear and tear
    Neglect
    Intentional damage
    Infestation from inspects, mold, or animals
    Lack of maintenance
    Mechanical/ production defects

argument could be made IF he filled up at any other marina that doesn't sell 93 that it falls under neglect and not covered.
    boatUS is pretty specific that they don't cover outboards unless you add a mechanical breakdown rider so assume it's the same for inboards.

some insurance will likely be quick to cover and I bet some won't.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    depends on the insurance I would say....
    from skisafe:

What am I not covered for under my policy?
    Unfortunately, we can’t cover everything. Here are some things your policy may exclude:

Natural wear and tear
    Neglect
    Intentional damage
    Infestation from inspects, mold, or animals
    Lack of maintenance
    Mechanical/ production defects

argument could be made IF he filled up at any other marina that doesn't sell 93 that it falls under neglect and not covered.
    boatUS is pretty specific that they don't cover outboards unless you add a mechanical breakdown rider so assume it's the same for inboards.

some insurance will likely be quick to cover and I bet some won't.
    Probably right, I think I'll call my agent and see what I am and am not covered for just so I know.
    2020 Supra SA

Sounds like a nightmare. Let the finger pointing begin.

Missing water time with that big layup. No wonder the boat would be for sale.

2018 Supra SL400

could be a likely explanation however interested if powell allows you to fill up yourself. the 2 marinas I have bought gas at out west do not let you fill. they have to do it from start to finish.

wonder if there was enough water in the fuel that it clogged the fuel/water separator and starved the engine for fuel. OP rams the throttle down to take off and bam- lack of fuel detonates engine. could be why a code was tossed earlier and took a little longer to manifest itself.
    12 hours is a long time in a boat tho even on a vacation weekend.
    guy was at powell when it happened iirc. wonder if he told them he only buys gas at dangling marina?? I know this has been an issue on the tige forums for guys at powell and have the larger HP engines.

https://www.lakepowellmarinas.com/bo...s/fuel-prices/
    None of the marinas on Lake Powell will allow you to fuel your own boat. They fill and cap your boat when done. However, if you are on a houseboat they all have toy tanks and you will likely wind up filling your own boat with an onboard pump where mistakes could happen.

Additionally, there is currently no source for 91 octane fuel on the lake except for Antelope Point marina. Due to low water, the houseboats that used to do launch and exchange at Antelope Point have been off the water and the launch ramp is now closed (though it wouldn't have been during the time the damage was done). The NPS marinas don't carry 91 octane though, since Halls was the only NPS marina that did and it is now closed to fuel. My brother-in-law with the 575 had to use an octane booster with every fill.

My experience though has been that regardless of where you fill at Lake Powell, the gas is garbage and our boat has to crank a little longer to get started. They do not use ethanol free fuel and I think there is significant water in the fuel tanks at the marinas. It gets worse on the houseboat toy tanks where it seems there are many pathways for water to get into the tank vents. We put ethanol treatment in the fuel when we put it in the boat, but when it is bad coming from the marina, it is just plain bad.

2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    2000 Sharpe Houseboat 70x16 (Lives at Lake Powell)

Quote Originally Posted by Zog View Post
    None of the marinas on Lake Powell will allow you to fuel your own boat. They fill and cap your boat when done. However, if you are on a houseboat they all have toy tanks and you will likely wind up filling your own boat with an onboard pump where mistakes could happen.

Additionally, there is currently no source for 91 octane fuel on the lake except for Antelope Point marina. Due to low water, the houseboats that used to do launch and exchange at Antelope Point have been off the water and the launch ramp is now closed (though it wouldn't have been during the time the damage was done). The NPS marinas don't carry 91 octane though, since Halls was the only NPS marina that did and it is now closed to fuel. My brother-in-law with the 575 had to use an octane booster with every fill.

My experience though has been that regardless of where you fill at Lake Powell, the gas is garbage and our boat has to crank a little longer to get started. They do not use ethanol free fuel and I think there is significant water in the fuel tanks at the marinas. It gets worse on the houseboat toy tanks where it seems there are many pathways for water to get into the tank vents. We put ethanol treatment in the fuel when we put it in the boat, but when it is bad coming from the marina, it is just plain bad.
    Very interesting……

So highly likely the boat owner was not running the premium he claimed.

He likely ran lower octane fuel, under full load and full boost for 12 boat hours until it let go…….

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Very interesting……

So highly likely the boat owner was not running the premium he claimed.

He likely ran lower octane fuel, under full load and full boost for 12 boat hours until it let go…….

He could have had premium fuel, but would have had to get it at Antelope Point or if he filled from the houseboat he would need to be sure that whoever filled the toy tank filled at Antelope Point. My experience... When you are filling the boat with hundreds of gallons of fuel (we filled about 350 gallons when we used the boat in July) that costs $5+ per gallon, some people start looking at the $0.30 price difference and figure that on a 200 gallon toy tank that is $60 difference that won't benefit them and sometimes they cut corners. We couldn't get owners to add ethanol treatment to the tanks even when the treatment was included on the boat and it didn't cost them a penny. The outboards on the old houseboat would often sputter and cut out due to the ethanol issues. Also the water separators were often filling with water. To tell someone they have to fill up at a specific marina and put specific fuel in the toy tank, my guess is it won't always happen.

I'm betting he ran on the gas he had, which probably was not the right kind and likely had water in it.

2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    2000 Sharpe Houseboat 70x16 (Lives at Lake Powell)

Holy cow!! Those marina prices are insane coming from Georgia. I thought the marinas on our lake at 3.50-3.89 were high! I use a caddy and buy 89 octane in town at 3.00.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub