Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 2in2out View Post
    My guess is Op had filled tank at marina, got into a dither herding “boat cats” back into the boat to clear the pump for the stack of thirsty boats, and forgot to put the fuel cap on.
    could be a likely explanation however interested if powell allows you to fill up yourself. the 2 marinas I have bought gas at out west do not let you fill. they have to do it from start to finish.

wonder if there was enough water in the fuel that it clogged the fuel/water separator and starved the engine for fuel. OP rams the throttle down to take off and bam- lack of fuel detonates engine. could be why a code was tossed earlier and took a little longer to manifest itself.
    12 hours is a long time in a boat tho even on a vacation weekend.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

The fueling station would be responsible if others at the time also experienced water in the fuel also. Not sure how one would get that information.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Default Interesting warranty claim from Supra forum.

It would be hard to prove gas stations fault.

When I had a water in fuel issue in my car, I pulled a sample, clearly showed a lot of water in the sample, took gas receipt from day prior along with sample to station and they pretty much told me to pound sand.

Deny deny deny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Found this on Indmar shop talk……

FUEL AND OIL REQUIREMENTS
    2/21/2017 1 Comment

​It is critical that the fuel and oil requirements for the various Indmar/Ford based engines are followed.

​The standard model 360 and the premium 400 and 440 (Malibu 410 and 450) models are designed to operate on 89 octane fuel with a maximum ethanol content of 10%.

​​The new model 460 and the supercharged 575 are designed to run on premium grade,
    91-93 octane fuel with a maximum of 10% ethanol.
    Picture
    All of the 6.2L Indmar/Ford engines are equipped with knock sensors that will detect pre-ignition and detonation to help protect the engine from damage if the fuel quality is low and the engine starts ”pinging” or “spark knocking”. Unfortunately, there is a limit to how much protection the system can provide. Typically the system responds to spark knock by retarding the ignition timing. In most cases, retarding the timing by a few degrees will stop the knock and protect the engine. There are situations where the system has retarded the ignition timing to the maximum allowable limit and the knock continues. This most often occurs in situations where the boat is heavily loaded, is over propped so the engine is unable to turn in its designated RPM range, and the fuel is not the required octane level for the engine. The result of operating the engine in those “continuous knock” conditions is generally catastrophic engine failure that is not covered by Indmar’s limited warranty.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

guy was at powell when it happened iirc. wonder if he told them he only buys gas at dangling marina?? I know this has been an issue on the tige forums for guys at powell and have the larger HP engines.

https://www.lakepowellmarinas.com/bo...s/fuel-prices/

He does say “ultra sensitive motor” several times.

I never saw an octane reported on the fuel analysis.

Did he run a tank of 87 and is blaming the engine for being “ultra sensitive” because his buddies non FI engines handled it ???

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

that engine will run all day long on 87 if all you need to do is a 3 hour tour and back to the boat ramp as a pleasure cruise.
    that engine will grenade all day long on 87 IF you are loaded down surfing and boarding.
    just like boosted cars, run the wrong octane and the engine will pull enough timing to get you somewhere safely at a low load. run it hard tho and it'll blow up in a second on the wrong octane.

as Larry called out, not knowing the whole story doesn't help at all but make for good internet fodder

Interested to hear any results from an insurance claim. Indmar clearly covers themselves from this exact situation, but I wonder if insurance would cover owner ignorance.

With the amount of work, if he sells the boat, he is going to lose his a$$ so might as well fix it and move on.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Boat is for sale.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Holdmybeer View Post
    Interested to hear any results from an insurance claim. Indmar clearly covers themselves from this exact situation, but I wonder if insurance would cover owner ignorance.

With the amount of work, if he sells the boat, he is going to lose his a$$ so might as well fix it and move on.
    Insurance should cover it, no more ignorant than running it headlong into the shore or sinking it with no plug.
    2020 Supra SA