Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default Kaiyen + 8 foot garage... almost

Hey everyone! A quick backstory, seconding as an introduction... I am BRAND new to boating. A few of my friends have been into wake boating for years (my best friend started in 2005), but I just never saw myself doing this. Then after the 3rd or 4th trip to the lake this summer with my family, bobbing up and down in my yellow inflatable duck, watching family's roaring with fun around the lake in their boats, sking, waking, and towing their kids on tubes.. it hit me... I need a wake boat in my life and me and the wife are on track to figuring out all the ins, outs, dos, don'ts, and everything we need to prepare to get one, hopefully for next season.

After a few weeks of reading, studying, asking my friends, and 1000 youtube videos, I have settled on Moomba. From what I can tell, it's the best bang-for-buck entry level boat you can get, and I think we are going to start there, I think with perhaps the Kaiyen. My problem, is storing it. The two smaller Moombas both say they are designed to fit inside a standard 8' garage door, which is great. My 3rd garage bay will work well. However, I have a question. On the Kaiyens stats page, it says the height of the boat on the trailer with the tower folded down, is 96". Uhmm.. but an 8' door (which is 96") isn't actually 96"... you have to take into account there is always some trim around the door AND the garage door hangs down a little. Even if the opening WAS exactly 96", I wouldn't want to back my boat into something with literally 0mm of clearance... right? I have just under 94" of clearance on my 9x8 garage door. I haven't been to my moomba dealership yet to look and physically measure myself, I am just starting absorbing information, they are a few hours away. I plan on going pretty soon.

Can anybody tell me the actual height of their Kaiyan on their trailer?

Thanks for any insight and information you can provide.. I am really excided for summer 2022.
    Last edited by CptAmerica; 09-12-2021 at 04:31 PM.

we almost bought a kaiyen last summer and spent time with drew tinker discussing heights.
    IF you buy with the regular tower it's 9ft door all day long.
    IF you buy with the upgraded pro tower it will clear an 8ft door and we were told by several inches. ours is 7ft11 and told we would have 3 or 4 to spare.
    this was on the kaiyen specifically and straight from the owners kid's mouth
    we did measure one while in phx last summer shopping and aviator tower is a NOGO for sure. they didn't have a pro tower to measure but the dealership did concur with drew that the pro tower would clear 8ft.

9ft width is an adventure as well. I've backed several prior boats into a 9ft wide door and most wakeboats are 8'6 on the trailer so you only have 3" on each side. removing the guidepoles helps a ton but it's still a tight fit.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

The pro tower does fold lower than the A3 by a good bit.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    we almost bought a kaiyen last summer and spent time with drew tinker discussing heights.
    IF you buy with the regular tower it's 9ft door all day long.
    IF you buy with the upgraded pro tower it will clear an 8ft door and we were told by several inches. ours is 7ft11 and told we would have 3 or 4 to spare.
    this was on the kaiyen specifically and straight from the owners kid's mouth
    we did measure one while in phx last summer shopping and aviator tower is a NOGO for sure. they didn't have a pro tower to measure but the dealership did concur with drew that the pro tower would clear 8ft.

9ft width is an adventure as well. I've backed several prior boats into a 9ft wide door and most wakeboats are 8'6 on the trailer so you only have 3" on each side. removing the guidepoles helps a ton but it's still a tight fit.
    Thank you for that info... that helps quite a bit. I was a bit indifferent between the towers, but now that makes the decision to get the pro tower moot... it will be a must-have for an 8 foot door. No biggy! I'm sure we will enjoy it's benefits anyway. And yeah, my door is 106" wide, and the boat is 102" wide. That's just about 2 inches on a side. I'm OK with that, I am fine going super slow and taking my time getting it in the garage. We are already going to be knocking out the back wall of the garage to make length. Behind the backwall is a shop... knockin the wall down will remove my shop, but make my garage HUGE... I'm ok with whatever it takes to get my boat inside.

Quote Originally Posted by HFarr View Post
    The pro tower does fold lower than the A3 by a good bit.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    Much appreciated. Hopefully we can get out to the moomba dealership in the new few weeks here to poke around and ask questions... maybe even order a custom boat for spring delivery.

Another "height hack" that I've learned with these boats is the torsion axle option on the trailer. Though not advertised as such, the torsion axle option sits the trailer a little lower to the ground.

I go t:the big surprise" when i got my '18 home and it didn't fit in my 8' door. I spent one season deflating tires, disassembling the board racks, and backing in with a lower drop hitch, then i found storage and never looked back!
    2018 Moomba Craz | Autowake 2.0, Zero-Off, G6 Pumps | Captain Blue/Dark Graphite/Silver Flake | Enzos + Lead

Quote Originally Posted by korey View Post
    Another "height hack" that I've learned with these boats is the torsion axle option on the trailer. Though not advertised as such, the torsion axle option sits the trailer a little lower to the ground.

I go t:the big surprise" when i got my '18 home and it didn't fit in my 8' door. I spent one season deflating tires, disassembling the board racks, and backing in with a lower drop hitch, then i found storage and never looked back!
    To expand on this, you can adjust the torsion suspension trailers down a little bit.

It’s a balancing act of tire clearance to the fender and overall height of boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I wish i had info on the Kaiyen, in fact i wish i had one! my timing was such that Kaiyen was not available in 2019 when we replace our LSV with Mondo. for family financial harmony, we store in the garage. did the same, knock out the back to extend, but could not get to 23' boat length.

we lower tower, remove racks. make sure you get the rack removal that only has one bolt to remove. also there is a guy that makes quick release adaptors. i have them, but have been too lazy to install yet. they are quite nice, when i finally put on.

hitting the 9' wide is fine. although plan on hitting the sides occasionally and vent a few words.

you could adjust the door up a bit on the opener so that only the door trim is there, and that too can be adjusted to get the full 96".

good luck and have fun!
    19 Mondo
    08 LSV, forever loved

Quote Originally Posted by yearround View Post
    also there is a guy that makes quick release adaptors. i have them, but have been too lazy to install yet. they are quite nice, when i finally put on.
    !
    Link to quick disconnect kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

You said your door is 106" wide and boat is 102" wide. My trailer is wider then my boat

Quote Originally Posted by Bigs28 View Post
    You said your door is 106" wide and boat is 102" wide. My trailer is wider then my boat
    Had a 110” gate at our old place and my Kaiyen barely fit through with minimal clearance. You will need the precision of landing a rover on Mars trying to get through a 106”. Doable, but you won’t have much cushion to work with…
    2020 Kaiyen