Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HFarr View Post
    Wow! That is really a big difference. I bet you really do have to watch out for submerged rocks.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    Lake Powell changes every time you go, so you always need to be aware. There are pinnacles that are high out of the water now, that will wreck your day when the water is higher. The big problem now is really with the emergence of shoals and sand bars in areas that everyone has always boated over the top of without a thought, since they were in 60 feet of water. Also, as you approach the back of canyons, trees are coming out that have been in the water for 60 years. Anchorage is a little more challenging too, since some of the sandstone is rotting as it dries and we have typically tied to rocks rather than using traditional anchors, since they are hard to secure in the sand/rock environment. In the channel, it is still very deep though, with water levels in excess of 300 ft.

Sweet pics mmmkay! I am jealous of your Escalante excursion. I am trying to convince our crew that we need to go down and see Cathedral and Gregory Bridge this fall. Perhaps it will have to wait until spring though. That Adonia is amazing. We stay up north though, where the Adonias and Bravadas don't dare to venture!

2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    2000 Sharpe Houseboat 70x16 (Lives at Lake Powell)

Quote Originally Posted by Zog View Post
    Sweet pics mmmkay! I am jealous of your Escalante excursion. I am trying to convince our crew that we need to go down and see Cathedral and Gregory Bridge this fall. Perhaps it will have to wait until spring though. That Adonia is amazing. We stay up north though, where the Adonias and Bravadas don't dare to venture!
    Haha! The Escalante was amazing this year! I think the Cathedral is more impressive empty of water and being some of the first people under Gregory Bridge in 50 years was pretty cool.

We anchored in Oak Bay which had VERY few other visitors all week. As we got closer to the Escalante on our day excursion it was a bit busier with what I assumed were north-enders. But it was so beautiful there that I think next year we may go all the way to the Escalante to anchor so we are within shooting distance of some of the north-end sights. As we were piloting up Reflection Canyon to anchor on one of the newly exposed beaches I wondered how many other Adonias have been up that canyon haha - probably not many if any at all. It ended up being too windy with too many underwater rock hazards to safely anchor in the canyon so we aborted and backtracked to Oak Bay.
    2022 Supra SL550 (current)
    2019 Adonia (75' houseboat at Lake Powell - current)
    2021 Tige Z3 (past)
    2020 SL400 (past)
    Idaho

WOW, I need to make it a point to get on Powell before it's... gone? We joke a lot about spending every weekend on a "destination lake" for so many (Lake Cumberland) and how it makes it tough to go elsewhere. Over the last few years, we've taken a long weekend to Norris, LOTO, Summersville (WV), and Martin (AL).
    2018 Moomba Craz | Autowake 2.0, Zero-Off, G6 Pumps | Captain Blue/Dark Graphite/Silver Flake | Enzos + Lead

Quote Originally Posted by korey View Post
    WOW, I need to make it a point to get on Powell before it's... gone? We joke a lot about spending every weekend on a "destination lake" for so many (Lake Cumberland) and how it makes it tough to go elsewhere. Over the last few years, we've taken a long weekend to Norris, LOTO, Summersville (WV), and Martin (AL).
    How does Cumberland and Norris compare in your opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    How does Cumberland and Norris compare in your opinion?

Both beautiful places. I've spent nearly every weekend (year round many different types of boats) on or around Cumberland for years. Slowly transitioning over from Dale Hollow over the last decade to where I'm nearly 100% Cumberland now. I've spent exactly two long weekends on Norris, so I can't say I'm the expert, but here is my novice comparison:

Both HUGE, beautiful places. Both deeply sheltered from wind by their geography. Both have easy access to provisions "in town". Both seems to have a "party culture" with a few must see places to raft up and do that. Both have clean water by 4th of July but suffer in the spring from debris - both because of being the first link in a major river chain.

Where they differ is majorly in shoreline development. Norris is covered in REALLY nice houses - most with private docks. We've rented a couple of those hoses now, and that side of it makes for a really nice vacation. On Cumberland, the Corp of Engineers controls generally all the way to the prevailing ridgeline round the lake - near zero private development on the entire lake. The property that we frequent "on" lake Cumberland is more like 500ft above the lake. Walking down the hill is a once a year thing for me (we use a Polaris Ranger 900, and it is working pretty hard with 6 people and a cooler). Either could be seen as "better" but I've come to prefer the "Cumberland way". As the owner of a gnarly wake making machine, it has been tough to figure how to do what I love (make big wakes) on Norris without completely wrecking someone's personal property! On Cumberland, you've got plenty room to do your thing without having to consider many (any) personal docks. Cumberland has the best houseboat rental fleet anywhere, and is dubbed "houseboat Capital of the World for a reason. A houseboat is THE WAY to do Cumberland. There are probably more marina's with restaurants/bars on Norris, which is cool. Cumberland has a few big events a year that we typically avoid that attract the super-power boat crowd and the raft-up/[party crowd. Norris may too, I don't know. We usually schedule our trip to another lake and VRBO thou Cumberland house on those weekends, LOL. Enough rambling, we're about to hit the road for some two wheel action at Barber in Birmingham!
    2018 Moomba Craz | Autowake 2.0, Zero-Off, G6 Pumps | Captain Blue/Dark Graphite/Silver Flake | Enzos + Lead

Both beautiful places. I've spent nearly every weekend (year round many different types of boats) on or around Cumberland for years. Slowly transitioning over from Dale Hollow over the last decade to where I'm nearly 100% Cumberland now. I've spent exactly two long weekends on Norris, so I can't say I'm the expert, but here is my novice comparison:

Both HUGE, beautiful places. Both deeply sheltered from wind by their geography. Both have easy access to provisions "in town". Both seems to have a "party culture" with a few must see places to raft up and do that. Both have clean water by 4th of July but suffer in the spring from debris - both because of being the first link in a major river chain.

Where they differ is majorly in shoreline development. Norris is covered in REALLY nice houses - most with private docks. We've rented a couple of those hoses now, and that side of it makes for a really nice vacation. On Cumberland, the Corp of Engineers controls generally all the way to the prevailing ridgeline round the lake - near zero private development on the entire lake. The property that we frequent "on" lake Cumberland is more like 500ft above the lake. Walking down the hill is a once a year thing for me (we use a Polaris Ranger 900, and it is working pretty hard with 6 people and a cooler). Either could be seen as "better" but I've come to prefer the "Cumberland way". As the owner of a gnarly wake making machine, it has been tough to figure how to do what I love (make big wakes) on Norris without completely wrecking someone's personal property! On Cumberland, you've got plenty room to do your thing without having to consider many (any) personal docks. Cumberland has the best houseboat rental fleet anywhere, and is dubbed "houseboat Capital of the World for a reason. A houseboat is THE WAY to do Cumberland. There are probably more marina's with restaurants/bars on Norris, which is cool. Cumberland has a few big events a year that we typically avoid that attract the super-power boat crowd and the raft-up/[party crowd. Norris may too, I don't know. We usually schedule our trip to another lake and VRBO thou Cumberland house on those weekends, LOL. Enough rambling, we're about to hit the road for some two wheel action at Barber in Birmingham!
    I need to check out Cumberland for sure.
    Small world, I'm headed down to Barber in the AM, we go every year.
    Come say hi if you see us, the GMC's pretty hard to miss.
    GMC motorcycle 2.jpg
    2020 Supra SA

That camper is SWEET!! I'll keep an eye out! We're racing 3 classes all weekend, so I'm not sure how much time I'll get.. keep an eye out for "Keghunter Racing". Eric (pictured below) actually owns the Cumberland house I was talking about above. I'm crewing (and drinking) for him this weekend - partially as a thank you for us using his lake house all the weekends he's gone racing, LOL!

Last edited by korey; 10-06-2021 at 04:24 PM.

Default September Pics and Vids

Quote Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
    I need to check out Cumberland for sure.
    Small world, I'm headed down to Barber in the AM, we go every year.
    Come say hi if you see us, the GMC's pretty hard to miss.
    GMC motorcycle 2.jpg
    Looks like the RV in the movie Stripes

The EM50 urban assault vehicle.

http://inthedriversseatwithozzie.com.../#.YV4KSRYpDDs

Love it.

455?

Last edited by larry_arizona; 10-06-2021 at 04:51 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

That camper is SWEET!! I'll keep an eye out! We're racing 3 classes all weekend, so I'm not sure how much time I'll get.. keep an eye out for "Keghunter Racing". Eric (pictured below) actually owns the Cumberland house I was talking about above. I'm crewing (and drinking) for him this weekend - partially as a thank you for us using his lake house all the weekends he's gone racing, LOL!

Awesome, I'll say hello if I get into the pits!
    2020 Supra SA

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Looks like the RV in the movie Stripes

The EM50 urban assault vehicle.

http://inthedriversseatwithozzie.com.../#.YV4KSRYpDDs

Love it.

455?

76' GMC same as the Stripes model.
    Yep 455 olds
    My project before getting into boats.
    TheGMCrv.com