Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gelcoat Scratches

I got a couple scratches in my gel coat today from a wakeboard bumping into the transom above the swim platform(careless guests). What is the best way to get rid of these? I'm new to any sort of finishing/polishing/buffing so I'll take advice on any specific products or polishers used. How do you tell if a scratch is bad enough to need sandpaper? Obviously looking for a way to get rid of the scratch without then having to polish the whole boat to make it look consistent again. Scratch is not bad enough to be able to feel it with my hand, but any scratch on blue gel coat is white and very visible. Thanks for your help.
    2022 Mojo

I remove scratches with a 1500 grit sponge wet sand followed by a scratch remover wax compound, then lastly a polishing wax and buff.

If your nervous doing this, find an area under the boat or somewhere out of sight that has a small scratch and practice using this process. Once comfortable move on to the more obvious areas..
    2021 Moomba Max

For heavier scratches

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For lighter scratches

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Start with the least aggressive first (the polish) and see if it will buff out. If it doesn't come out, use the compound and once the scratch is gone using the compound, go over it with the polish.
    Last edited by 996scott; 09-11-2021 at 12:19 PM.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

I would never ever ever start with sandpaper. The rule of polishing is ALWAYS start with the least abbrasive needed to do the job. The problem, is you don't know how abbrasive you need until you try. Harmless first step would be a hand polish using any decent "finish polish". It's a liquid, like a wax. If that doesn't do it, you go to the next polish with more cutting power. Maybe a light or medium cut. Once you find the level that starts to take the scratch out, you go BACK the way you came back to the lighter cutting polishes. So, you go back to the final polish... then back to your wax/sealer. Don't start with 1,500 sandpaper.

That is the worst area for scratches. I ended up custom making a kick pad through Gator step to hide the scratches I had and prevent new ones. I don’t have a pic of it, but I will get one and post. Well worth the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Moomba Craz
    6.2L Raptor 400
    6 Pump Ballast, Autowake 2.0, Flow 2.0 Surf System
    OJ 15x13 Wake Prop
    Digital Cruise Pro 3 (paddle wheel)
    Wetsounds Rev 10's

2005 Supra Launch 22SSV - Sold

It is hard to see here, but I got black on black so that it blended in. I guess I achieved that goal. . If you zoom in you can see I matched the pattern of the swim platform.

2018 Moomba Craz
    6.2L Raptor 400
    6 Pump Ballast, Autowake 2.0, Flow 2.0 Surf System
    OJ 15x13 Wake Prop
    Digital Cruise Pro 3 (paddle wheel)
    Wetsounds Rev 10's

2005 Supra Launch 22SSV - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by CptAmerica View Post
    I would never ever ever start with sandpaper. The rule of polishing is ALWAYS start with the least abbrasive needed to do the job. The problem, is you don't know how abbrasive you need until you try. Harmless first step would be a hand polish using any decent "finish polish". It's a liquid, like a wax. If that doesn't do it, you go to the next polish with more cutting power. Maybe a light or medium cut. Once you find the level that starts to take the scratch out, you go BACK the way you came back to the lighter cutting polishes. So, you go back to the final polish... then back to your wax/sealer. Don't start with 1,500 sandpaper.
    Assuming the OP wouldn’t be asking about light scratches that would come out with a cutting compound….that is common sense.

I assumed he is asking how to fix deeper scratches that do require some light wet sanding with a high grit sponge.

But agree- If the scratches are light enough just use a cutting compound then polish.
    2021 Moomba Max

boat manuf. should offer paint protection film on the rear transom as an option. for a couple hundred, I'd choose that option all day long and with all the crap removed on the transom, it would be a very simple install. every boat we have owned has had a few scuffs on the back from boards and/or bindings.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Default Gelcoat Scratches

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    boat manuf. should offer paint protection film on the rear transom as an option. for a couple hundred, I'd choose that option all day long and with all the crap removed on the transom, it would be a very simple install. every boat we have owned has had a few scuffs on the back from boards and/or bindings.
    PPF would be my choice for transom as well as bow roller contact area.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    PPF would be my choice for transom as well as bow roller contact area.

For real on the bow roller area! The SA just loves to get scuff marks around that area!

2017 Supra SA