Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: All gauges quit

Default All gauges quit

So I was all pupmed this morning. Got the boat started in the driveway. Then down to the landing. Fired right up and off I went. Noticed that I was not really hitting top end like I should have ....

Then I realized all of my gauges quit working and froze where they were at the time they quit.

All the accessory switches on the dash seem to worok right. Engine still starts and stays running. Horn works.

This is a 99 Mobius carb with 230 hours. Boat sat in garage all winter in Wisconsin. No obvious signs of mice anywhere.

I looked for a fuse but could not find any - just the breakers on the dash for the rocker switches. After a couple of hours some of the gauges returned to the normal position for 'Off'. So I though restarting might 'reset' them. No luck.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Dave,
    When they all quit like that, sounds like the ground is loose. Not sure about yours, but on me '04 Outback there is a metal strip they all connect to.
    Hope this helps
    B

I would search this board for threads about the Medallion Controller that drives all the gauges. Somebody named gaugeman listed a fix that worked for me.

Andy

if the two waterlines are not disconnected on winterizing water can freeeze in the pressure sensor then penetrate the mdc and fry it

I am not where I can look at it right now. But if I understand you correctly the water lines go the MDC (this is the Medallion Controller refered to in previous posts, right?) I was wondering where the spedo lines went since they do not go to the gauges.

So if the MDC fails then all gauges will freeze in the position where they were at the time of failure?

This is very possible. Sadly I had an authorized Moomba dealer winterize. Maybe they should have thought of this?

Dave

The pressure sensors in the Medallion Instruments MDC 1600 controller should be disconnected when winterizing. These controllers are known to have issues besides this. Sometimes the problems come from voltage drop due to bad connections. Check the circuit board on the gauge cluster for a connector labeled "to gauges" first. On my 2000 Ouback LS, bypassing the + and - feeds to the connector fixed the problem.

The controller is essentially an Analog to Digital converter that interprets the analog data from the speedo tubes, engine sensors etc and then communicates to the gauges through a digital data bus. A new one costs about 300 bucks and supposedly fixes the problems.

where they connect to the mdc may be leaking and the guages may be sporadic or not reading at all.........as was my case.........water entered the mdc....remove it and shake and you can hear.......hard to tell if dealer disconnected as they may have to let water drain then reconnectafter drainage........but why as not have this part of the summerization process.....anyways, i always disconnect the lines....good luck

doug

So my local dealer now tells me that they have to custom order the part. Meaning bring in the defective one and they can request that the manufacturer custom build one to match it. And that it may cost as much as $1000.

Does any of this sound right to anyone?

Does anyone have a dealer I might be able to contact who can be more helpful?

Thanks
    Dave

I would try to call Medallion directly:

http://www.medallionis.com/

Andy

the mdc unit was like 250 from medalion direct and took 5 mins to install