Default 1997 moomba outback missing rudder.

Out on the boat when we lost stearering in the middle of our lake. Turned the boat off heard water coming in. Used a paddle to stear us back to shore. Filled to boat with 3 extra bilge pumps to get the water out as my dad got the trailer. Reached under to try and see what was up with the rudder. It just wasn't there. Good thing a boat plug was the perfect size and that kept it floating as we got the trailer but now we're on to fixing it. No marina will take it. And talked to moomba who were super helpful and said he would try his best to get parts for us but they won't look at it because its older than 2000. I'm mechanically inclined enough to fix it myself just wondering were to get a rudder as mine is at the bottom of our lake. No damage at all to anything. Just need a replacement rudder. Wondering if they are universal.

Is the port box still there?
    Did the shaft just break?
    DD or V-drive?
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Everything is still good the rudder just fell out. No Impact nothing. It's a direct drive.

No such luck trying to find a rudder for a 97. 2006 mode is available but you have to buy the whole kit, port box, tiller arm, and rudder.

The newer rudder would have a cotter pin that would prevent falling out and the tiller arm bolt should go through a machined groove in the rudder shaft, and it is keyed. Being a 97' model, I'm sure there was nothing to keep the rudder in the port except the dip seal packing nut and the tiller arm pitch bolt. Both came loose over time, perfect storm situation.

If you cannot find a replacement, I would upgrade to a new dripless rudder box.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Can a machine shop make you one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk