Default 1998 outback fuel problem?

I just bought a 98 moomba outback with 525 hrs and it’s got a slight miss at idle and it will bog down from time to time and not take any throttle, just bogs down. I’ve replaced the spark plugs and the high pressure fuel pump and in-line filter. I removed the tank and the cleaned it out. The screen on the pick up tube was clean. The high pressure pump squeals when it’s bogging down. The low pressure pump is pumping as it should. Any ideas?
    Also how can I do away with all this water cooled mess?
    CC808E4C-9D6C-4382-9C76-AAB3D9D664D6.jpg 646F9944-C4C6-418B-8FCB-8DC9349680CD.jpg
    1998 moomba outback 5.7 fuel injected

Quote Originally Posted by Rtsuggs View Post
    I just bought a 98 moomba outback with 525 hrs and it’s got a slight miss at idle and it will bog down from time to time and not take any throttle, just bogs down. I’ve replaced the spark plugs and the high pressure fuel pump and in-line filter. I removed the tank and the cleaned it out. The screen on the pick up tube was clean. The high pressure pump squeals when it’s bogging down. The low pressure pump is pumping as it should. Any ideas?
    Also how can I do away with all this water cooled mess?
    CC808E4C-9D6C-4382-9C76-AAB3D9D664D6.jpg 646F9944-C4C6-418B-8FCB-8DC9349680CD.jpg
    Carb, throttle body injection or multi port injection?

Quote Originally Posted by secondsupra2004 View Post
    Carb, throttle body injection or multi port injection?
    It's efi multi port injection.

First thing I would check was the v-belt. I’ve never heard a fuel pump squeal under load, but a belt will definitely do that. Not sure if it’s original , but the boat is 23 years old. Next thing I would do is check for any vacuum leaks. That will cause a rough idle and possible bogging. You need to check fuel pressure at the rail and see what that is. Should be between 40-60 PSI. Buy an inexpensive code reader and see if the ECM has any stored
    Last edited by secondsupra2004; 08-05-2021 at 09:35 AM.

First thing I would check was the v-belt. I’ve never heard a fuel pump squeal under load, but a belt will definitely do that. Not sure if it’s original , but the boat is 23 years old. Next thing I would do is check for any vacuum leaks. That will cause a rough idle and possible bogging. You need to check fuel pressure at the rail and see what that is. Should be between 40-60 PSI. Buy an inexpensive code reader and see if the ECM has any stored
    It’s definitely the fuel pump squealing and not the belt. I bought a fuel pressure test kit and will try it Monday when I’m off. I have a really good obd2 scanner but I haven’t found a port to hook to.
    I’ve checked for vacuum leaks but haven’t found any. It’s efi and not carbureted.

Quote Originally Posted by Rtsuggs View Post
    ItÂ’s definitely the fuel pump squealing and not the belt. I bought a fuel pressure test kit and will try it Monday when IÂ’m off. I have a really good obd2 scanner but I havenÂ’t found a port to hook to.
    IÂ’ve checked for vacuum leaks but haven’ found any. ItÂ’s efi and not carbureted.
    Unfortunately OBD scanner won’t work. Boats use the MEFI ECM. You can buy a scanner ($500 ) or a simple code reader ($60.00).

Unfortunately OBD scanner wonÂ’t work. Boats use the MEFI ECM. You can buy a scanner ($500 ) or a simple code reader ($60.00).
    Where would I buy a code reader from? Is there a specific type or brand?

I bought mine from Rinda Technologies. They have good support also.

Well, hopefully, I got the fuel system problem fixed. I removed the water-cooled canister and re-plumbed the fuel pump and return line. The high-pressure pump would start cavitating and when I pinched the return line it would stop. I plumbed it so that the line coming from the fuel pressure regulator is ran to the return line. Hopefully, it's fixed. Thanks