Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question for my detailing gurus.

Hey gang. Looking into getting the boat detailed and ceramic coated in the end of the season. I was quoted 3k out the door from a reputable local detailed including all of the services below.

1 - is it totally worth it?
    2 - is the price right for what I’m getting?
    3 - is what I’m getting in this package top notch or would you change anything?

Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

where is Larry in 3... 2... 1...

I seriously need that guy to take a week off and fly to vegas on a "vacation" and ceramicoat our camaro. his boat pics are crazy.....
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Ha. Likewise!!!!!

Default Question for my detailing gurus.

I will be honest, $3000 is understandably a hard pill to swallow. But it’s the prep/labor that is the majority of the cost, materials are not cheap either. I had 29 hours into mine total plus $450 in materials.

Is it worth it?

1) gloss from polishing, absolutely, much improved over factory new gelcoat.
    2) ease of cleaning, it’s much easier to keep a coated boat clean, but it’s not self cleaning.
    3) the UV protection is bulletproof, but not something you can quantify until 6/7 years from now.

What it’s not.
    1) scratch proof
    2) water spot proof although minimal effort
    3) algae proof if you wet slip.

I will do it to every vehicle I own, but I am a cheap ass and would struggle paying someone $3000 to do it.

The look is amazing when done right, but it’s only as good as the polishing prior to adding ceramic.

The quote you have is very thorough and comprehensive and the only thing I didn’t do is my vinyl and flooring as I have chill tech.

Actually a pretty good deal.

Last edited by larry_arizona; 07-21-2021 at 08:14 AM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Thanks Man! I’m strongly considering it. I can put a 25% deposit to hold a spot in the fall. Then maybe it won’t be so bad to pay for it then at 75% of the cost after the services (a mental game we all play!).

Thinking sometime in November since we’re in NC.

I don’t slip the boat. I wipe it down with babes spot remover after every outing but it’s getting harder and harder to keep clean. I did power wash and spray wax it a couple of days ago so it’s much better.

Since I do all the wiping and cleaning I would be doing this for myself. And I’m very careful and tedious with the boat so I wouldn’t mind an amazing polishing and gloss that’s for certain.

Where at in NC are you? I am having my local shop do mine and I haven't priced anything out yet but he tinted my entire windshield for like $300 and he has a 1 year ceramic coating I'm going to try I think it will be around $1000
    Also I'm waiting till spring, figured it can sit dirty all winter because no matter how clean it is I feel like it will need a wipe out come spring haha
    Josh
    2021 Mojo, Sold 7/15/22
    2023 Supreme S240, on order

Quote Originally Posted by Josh828 View Post
    Where at in NC are you? I am having my local shop do mine and I haven't priced anything out yet but he tinted my entire windshield for like $300 and he has a 1 year ceramic coating I'm going to try I think it will be around $1000
    Also I'm waiting till spring, figured it can sit dirty all winter because no matter how clean it is I feel like it will need a wipe out come spring haha
    Hillsborough. Mother in law lives in Nebo so close to you.

Let me know what you price out. I’ll message you my #.

Quote Originally Posted by eder10986 View Post
    Hillsborough. Mother in law lives in Nebo so close to you.

Let me know what you price out. I’ll message you my #.

for sure! I don't have any experience with this 1 year ceramic however I have a bad taste in my mouth over my 5 year truck ceramic. Got some bad water spots and to fix them you basically have to start over. So going to do the 1 year route so it can be completely redone yearly. The detailer also thinks it will last longer than a year especially on a boat so we will see.
    Josh
    2021 Mojo, Sold 7/15/22
    2023 Supreme S240, on order

Quote Originally Posted by Josh828 View Post
    for sure! I don't have any experience with this 1 year ceramic however I have a bad taste in my mouth over my 5 year truck ceramic. Got some bad water spots and to fix them you basically have to start over. So going to do the 1 year route so it can be completely redone yearly. The detailer also thinks it will last longer than a year especially on a boat so we will see.
    Typically water spots in ceramic are from getting water on it before it’s fully cured.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

IMO, and only MO, I am not sure i believe in paying these kind of prices for ceramic coating. I have heard the coating lasts about 3 years and i have heard 1 year. Right now its snake oil to me. I have owned boats for 35 years and have always waxed them and took care of my stuff and never had a boat that faded or looked like garbage when i sold it. that proves to me that todays DIY coatings are just as good at protecting my stuff. I wax my boat 3x per year, and use good products in between to remove water spots etc... never had an issue other than a few hours of my time. Not trying to say this stuff doesn't work, but damn, $3k for a wax job seems obsessive when todays sealants, ceramic sprays and waxes protect boats just as good.