Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2021 SE550 Thruster beeping

I have a 2021 SE550 with the thruster option. Recently the port side thruster has started having a beeping alarm that will not turn off. You don't hear it while out on the water, however once its loaded back on the trailer during our wipe down it is continuous until you shut the battery off. Even if you shut the battery of for a couple minutes then turn it back on it starts beeping again.

I took it into the dealer and they say this is normal. I told them it didn't do that when I first bought it. After I did the break in hours and took it in for the post break in service it started doing it and has done it ever since. This doesn't seem normal to me. Why only the port side? It beeps about every 15 seconds non stop till you kill the power from the battery. Turning the key off doesn't stop it either. I don't think it had anything to do with the service.

Still doesn't seem normal to me. Also of note that I pointed out to the dealer, the port side thruster motor is discolored. Turning gold on the motor itself. That isn't happening on the starboard side. He did say that was odd but still assured me that the beeping alarm is normal.

Has any one else with the thrusters have this happening that can confirm to me that this is normal?

Also under the panel that backs the back seat on the port side there is some sort of computer module that has a cooling fan. The dealer said its for the underwater lights and the thrusters. The fan constantly runs. Again never turns off unless you kill the battery power. They have also said this is normal.

All this is just a drain on the batteries. If I leave the battery switch on for more than 2 days the batteries are dead.

I posted this in the Supra forum and Larry_Arizona suggested I post here that a Liquid Propulsion person was a member here and might help shed some light for me. Thanks.

PS: The thrusters are a great option and wouldn't buy another without that option. You can of course do without but why not make it easier on yourself.

thumbnail_IMG_2187.jpgthumbnail_IMG_2188.jpgthumbnail_20210506_124106.jpg
    Last edited by Powell Head; 07-13-2021 at 08:29 PM.
    2021 Supra SE550
    2018 Supra SL550 (sold)

@robosanlucas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

https://youtube.com/shorts/goz0AumEq1Y?feature=share

Attached is a video of what its doing
    2021 Supra SE550
    2018 Supra SL550 (sold)

Default 2021 SE550 Thruster beeping

Quote Originally Posted by Powell Head View Post
    https://youtube.com/shorts/goz0AumEq1Y?feature=share

Attached is a video of what its doing
    That motor being discolored and sounding an alarm is probably going to show a fault code on the Module inside your surf locker.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Control module doesn't show any faults

thumbnail_IMG_2193.jpg
    2021 Supra SE550
    2018 Supra SL550 (sold)

Hi Powell Head. First off, thank you for your positive feedback on the thruster system in general, I'm glad you are enjoying the option! On to your issues.

The Thruster "beeping" is an audible synchronization confirmation between the speed controller and the motor. It should occur when the system first receives power and the speed controller wakes up (ignition on) and looks for a connection with the motor. But, it should happen momentarily at startup and not continue after the system is awake and connected. The only cases we've seen before now, where beeping continued after initial startup, were related to users turning the ignition off and back on in a short amount of time. When this occurs, it doesn't allow enough time for the thruster power supply driver's (the box you found mounted behind the rear seat) to fully discharge. As a result, when the ignition attempt to have the speed controller synchronize with the motor again, the motor beeps continuously indicating that it is confused because it was already paired with the speed controller and was never powered completely down. The driver's in the system store a significant amount of power, in order to be ready instantaneously when called on to power a motor, and they take a little time to completely discharge after the ignition is turned off. This is normal and not a design flaw, though we are working on reducing or eliminating the beeping in future system updates to resolve this issue.

We have found that simply activating the thruster system (by using it) should confirm to the motor that is is in fact still paired with the speed controller and stop the beeping. Though your "one motor beeping" concern and ongoing beeping even after a full battery off cycle does sound different than what we've seen before and I'd like to learn more.

As for the thruster power driver module fans. They should be on at all times that the thruster system is active and available, which is any time that the ignition is on. They should not be on when the ignition is off, even if your battery is on, and should not be causing any parasitic drain when the ignition is off. If they are running with the ignition off, something may be wrong with your system.

The good news is, you are local in UT... which is where Liquid Propulsion is manufactured. I'd like to send someone out to diagnose this with you and see what might have occurred. Obviously, any issues are covered under your warranty and we'd be happy to work with you, Supra and Marine Products to resolve them for you free of charge. Would you mind giving me a call to set up a time to get together? You can reach me at Liquid Propulsion at (844) 218-4888. -Rob

I noticed in the YouTube video you took of the beeping that the prop on the motor was twitching everytime it beeped. Something definitely not normal, and the discoloration looks to be from overheating in my opinion.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

I just wanted to give an update and a big shout out the the great guys over at Liquid Propulsion. Both Rob aka RoboSanLucas on the forum and his partner Eric. Rob reached out and we spoke on the phone and yes my issues were not normal or standard.

He offered to come to my house to see if they could diagnose the issue. I opted to take it too their shop where they have all their equipment to make it easier. I took it in this afternoon and left it with Eric and a couple hours later he had figured out that the control module had gone bad on the circuit operating the port side thruster. First one they had that happen with. He was glad I was local as it made the diagnosis easier being able to do it first hand especially since they hadn’t seen this problem yet. They put a new module in and it solved the problem. Module wasn’t indicating a problem but they bench tested it and found the problem.

I really appreciate their willingness to stand behind their product and getting me back in service. After talking with Eric I have even more confidence in their systems. Great folks to work with!

Also they seem to be some real innovators. They are working on several cool lighting accessories and also an aftermarket retrofit thruster kit. After having thrusters I don’t see myself going without ever again. Especially for the sake of my co-captain aka wife. We certainly have less argument at the ramp and the dock. They may be a little spendy but way cheaper than divorce. Lol

Thanks again Rob and Eric!!
    2021 Supra SE550
    2018 Supra SL550 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Powell Head View Post
    I just wanted to give an update and a big shout out the the great guys over at Liquid Propulsion. Both Rob aka RoboSanLucas on the forum and his partner Eric. Rob reached out and we spoke on the phone and yes my issues were not normal or standard.

He offered to come to my house to see if they could diagnose the issue. I opted to take it too their shop where they have all their equipment to make it easier. I took it in this afternoon and left it with Eric and a couple hours later he had figured out that the control module had gone bad on the circuit operating the port side thruster. First one they had that happen with. He was glad I was local as it made the diagnosis easier being able to do it first hand especially since they hadn’t seen this problem yet. They put a new module in and it solved the problem. Module wasn’t indicating a problem but they bench tested it and found the problem.

I really appreciate their willingness to stand behind their product and getting me back in service. After talking with Eric I have even more confidence in their systems. Great folks to work with!

Also they seem to be some real innovators. They are working on several cool lighting accessories and also an aftermarket retrofit thruster kit. After having thrusters I don’t see myself going without ever again. Especially for the sake of my co-captain aka wife. We certainly have less argument at the ramp and the dock. They may be a little spendy but way cheaper than divorce. Lol

Thanks again Rob and Eric!!
    Can't wait to see their aftermarket retro fit thrusters!!
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans
    WakeMakers 1350s in the rear & 1K in Lead

I give liquid propulsion/liquid Lumens big props for customer service.

Rob “RoboSanLucas” genuinely cares about the products they make.

I would buy (and have) their products with great confidence.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan