Default Lake surf roc ballast bags

Has anyone tried these lake surf roc sack bags you fill with sand? Obviously they are bigger than lead bags and don’t quite get you 50# each, but I do like that you can easily dump excess boat weight when trailering.

I have 500# lead that stays in boat, I wouldn’t want to add 500# more to trailer around. These would be nice to add as supplemental on light crew days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Seems reasonable If you have easy access to sand at your lake. With that being said I have towed 4000 miles with 900lbs lead no problem. I actually took my boat to the cat certified scales fully loaded and fueled and it came in at 8940lbs. This has 740lbs tongue weight so still within the limits of the trailer.

Not sure about your lakes up north, but here in Ohio they are all course sand and rocks with years of public trash mixed in. Not sure I would drag that into my boat. Mixed with the local DNR asking "WTH I am doing" is attention I don't need.

I know a few month ago someone posted about bags you can fill with water that hold 50lbs. TidalWake sells them on Amazon. Again, I wouldn't want to move them around or pick them up out of the lake, but if only needed a couple times during light crew days a couple times a year, water is easy to clean up and plentiful.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

I have a pile of pool filter sand from every time I replace it, I may buy a bag and try it.

My concern is if it ever came undone and spread 45# of sand in my boat.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    I have a pile of pool filter sand from every time I replace it, I may buy a bag and try it.

The pool sand makes sense. Just a waste and nothing to do with it. However, wouldn't you still be trailering the sand? No different than lead at this point.

Sand in the boat is something I don't want to clean up. Knowing the detail job you did on that Supra, I don't think sand is in your future....lol
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Quote Originally Posted by Holdmybeer View Post
    The pool sand makes sense. Just a waste and nothing to do with it. However, wouldn't you still be trailering the sand? No different than lead at this point.

Sand in the boat is something I don't want to clean up. Knowing the detail job you did on that Supra, I don't think sand is in your future....lol
    All great points.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post

The single piece of velcro doesn't scream confidence after bouncing around the lake either..
    Also for the price it is almost the same as lead
    Then it looks roughly twice the size but still much smaller than the one mentioned previously you fill with water
    I think it would be easier to load ballast into a friends car even than it would be to sit around at the shore and start loading up your bags haha

Its going to be a no from me for the possible mess and boat ramp embarrassment
    Josh
    2021 Mojo, Sold 7/15/22
    2023 Supreme S240, on order

I’ve got 680 lead in the boat now. I tow with an f150. I am about to put air bags on it as it’s just developed a negative rake from the extra 200 I added last month. Usually
    It’s just my wife and I. I’m seriously looking at the 155 pound bricks fatsac makes. 2-3 of those would take care of the rest and get me to the magic 5000 pounds. I’ve already got an external tsunami pump. Yes it would be one more step. But they empty and fold up and store under lockers at the end of the day.
    2018 Moomba MOJO
    4100lbs. ENZO's, Center Tank, IBS
    780lbs. Lead Wake
    Raptor 400
    Surf Prop: OJ 945
    2019 Ford F150 FX4
    5.0L V8

initial thoughts are no way I would bring that on board and risk dumping sand all over the inside of the boat. that crap just doesn't ever completely go away....
    that said I would guess that spills will be rare and more user-error or liquid courage driven than product failure but not worth the risk for me..

I'm with holdmybeer. no way I'd want to have to beach to load up sand bags both from a pita in the heat and what a great invite for dnr to introduce themselves....

not the prettiest solution but light days in our past we pulled out the 400lb bag and filled with water. easier than beaching and shoveling sand and same results. if it's a light crew space should be the least of your concerns....
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten