Thread: Lighting issues

Default Lighting issues

Over the winter I had my dealer install two underwater lights which are operated by one of the auxiliary switches. They worked for a couple weeks then the other night I noticed the little red light on the switch was out along with the ubmnderwater lights. I had to have my boat serviced recently to replace an O2 sensor and asked them to address that issue as well. They are very disorganized and did not get to it despite the boat being there for 4 days. When I got the boat back none of the light switches were working along with the radio and the 12 V port. They came to my boat and apparently hit some reset switch which got everything working again except for the auxiliary switch that operates the underwater lights. They have not been able to figure out what’s wrong. Any ideas what could be causing this? I also have the wet sounds speaker ring lights. They told me if I want to run all 3 colors (RGB) it will take a minimum of 5 hours to install and they charge $150 per hour. Does this sound right? They said it would take less time if I only want to run 1 color they didn’t specify which, they said that they need to run wiring through the tower if I want all 3 which will take the minimum of the 5 hours ?! By the way they have already charged me 3 hours labor just to get the rings inside the speakers! We will be talking a minimum of $1200 to install the speaker lights, and the underwater lights cost me 650$ ! I know boating is an expensive hobby but man this seems excessive!
    Last edited by Bch53211; 07-04-2021 at 11:05 AM.

So they charged you 3 hours to physically install the rings behind the grills thats held on by 4 screws. Well, guess what! Those rings now have to be removed in order to complete the 5 hour wiring installation.

Heres the skinny on the difference between single color and RGB. Single color only requires a 2 conductor cable that has the positive side switched. RGB requires a 4 conductor wire plus an RGB controller in order to have the multi-color effect. So unless the tower is pre-wired for single color LEDs, They will need to wire it for either RGB or single color. In this case, there is no difference in labor, just the difference in running a 2-conn or a 4-conn cable.

Underwater light switch. Since the switches light is not coming on, this usually indicates the switch no longer has 12V to it. This would come through a fuse or breaker. Typically it would be labeled as AUX, since thats what the switch is labeled.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    So they charged you 3 hours to physically install the rings behind the grills thats held on by 4 screws. Well, guess what! Those rings now have to be removed in order to complete the 5 hour wiring installation.

Heres the skinny on the difference between single color and RGB. Single color only requires a 2 conductor cable that has the positive side switched. RGB requires a 4 conductor wire plus an RGB controller in order to have the multi-color effect. So unless the tower is pre-wired for single color LEDs, They will need to wire it for either RGB or single color. In this case, there is no difference in labor, just the difference in running a 2-conn or a 4-conn cable.

Underwater light switch. Since the switches light is not coming on, this usually indicates the switch no longer has 12V to it. This would come through a fuse or breaker. Typically it would be labeled as AUX, since thats what the switch is labeled.

What a pain in the rear. Maybe I just go with one color or I may even forget about it entirely and send everything back to wet sounds as they assured me install was very simple and should take less than two hours. In regards to the switch is the fuse panel easily accessible? I assume I need a replacement fuse do you know which one I should buy? Sorry I readily admit I’m not very handy.

Try using an audio installer instead of the dealer.

Your dealers rates are obnoxious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan