Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Moomba lineup advice

Hi everybody! I’m new to the forum. I’m looking into buying my first surf boat and after doing a bit of research a moomba seems to be the best bang for my buck surf wave. I’m looking for a little more unbiased info on the performance difference between models than what the dealer is giving me. He’s pushing a mondo pretty hard, and I’m not against getting the smallest boat so long as I’m not sacrificing surf performance. Just looking for some input on the different models. Surf wave performance, potential for ballast upgrades, etc whatever you want to add. Obviously the makai is the best boat in the lineup, but it is pushing the upper end of my budget and if I could get into a cheaper model with a similar surf wave then I’m gonna do it. Thanks ahead of time guys! And if there is a thread out there that I missed already explaining all of this let me know I won’t be hurt.
    Last edited by spud; 06-19-2021 at 01:30 PM.

How many people will be out with you normally? Trailing or in a slip? The bigger the boat the more west you need to sink it. Wake9 put out a good review of the mondo so I’m sure it can put out a great wave. If your going to have 10-12 people with you every time the extra size will be nice. I have added 1,600# to our 2021 mojo to get an amazing wave. But when I’m surfing it’s just my wife and 2 kids (250# of people) left in the boat. I don’t trailer so the lead and bags don’t bother me as I wanted the room. If I had to trailer I would have likely went with a mondo.
    2021 Mojo

having had a 20ft then 22 and then 23... we NEVER looked at a 20ft again after owning one. mondo is a great boat and lucky enough to have surfed one many times and enjoyed it but it doesn't put out a wave as meaty as the longer boats will. 22-23 is really the sweet spot for surfbarges.

the max/mojo are where I would look unless you need the size of the makai for 12 going every time or lake restrictions of the mondo.

all imo.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I think with what you described above I’d be looking at a Mojo all day. Top tier wave potential in smaller package than a Makai.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll be trailering and majority of the time I’d be fewer than 8 people, but there’s probably going times when I wish I had a bit more room if I go with the mondo. None of the dealers have boats on site right now so getting a feel for the right size is tough. I’m not worried about towing a bigger boat though, so I’ll start looking at the max and mojo. Thanks guys. If you’ve got more advice I’m all ears

If towing and crew size isn't a concern then get the biggest thing you can afford.
    Do you have lake restrictions?
    The river near me is maxed at 22ft so my Mojo is "illegal" but no one notices. The lake doesn't, so there are 40ft guys running around.
    8 doesn't seem like a lot but once you add gear, cooler, bags, etc. 23ft seems comfortable and not large. I like the MOJO and wish I had the newer options, but truthfully for cost the Makai isn't much more once you option them both and that is what I would get. However my barn storage isn't limited either.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

It was going to be $500 difference between the makai and our mojo. We decided on the mojo due to the extra lead the makai was going to need with only 2 adults. I’m so glad we did.

If your good with trailering and adding some lead/midship bags get the mojo. They knocked it out of the park with it.

Where are you located? Maybe someone local could let you check theirs out?
    2021 Mojo

you have already decided to go bigger so you should be set. we have a mondo. due to length restrictions. very happy wit the boat, but we wish for more space about always.,
    19 Mondo
    08 LSV, forever loved

With the screen name "spud", I'm gonna say he is in Idaho! LOL!. Yeah, I know, I know. Just couldn't pass on such a corny comment.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

I’m in central Washington and as far as I know there isn’t any lake restrictions around. We’ve got a ton of options between the river and reservoirs locally and some really awesome lakes are just a weekend trip away. I actually got to see a mojo trailered at our local reservoir yesterday. Cover was on so I didn’t get a good look inside, but now I’m definitely thinking that’s the size I need. I haven’t found a dealer with an earlier delivery date than October, so timing isn’t great. Figure we could throw our wetsuits on and at least get one session in though haha.