Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default No power to fuel pump

I have a 2006 XLV with the 5.7 Indmar EFI. I pulled the boat out of winter storage and it was running flawlessly for a couple weeks. The other night on the lake, I went to start up to go home and it started pretty hard. I had to pump the throttle quite a bit which I have never had to do in the 15 years I've had the boat. Thinking it was just the fuel/water separator that caused the hard-start, I changed out the cannister the next day only to find the boat would crank but not fire at all. I brought the multimeter down and discovered I am not getting power to the fuel pump. I started running down the list of possibilities and this is what I've done so far:

Checked fuses near the ECM- all good.
    Removed all three relays and tested with multimeter- all good
    Checked kill-switch connections and tested continuity with multimeter- good
    Removed oil pressure sender and tested with multimeter- good
    Checked for loose/corroded connections under dash- all seem fine

Most posts I have read on similar issues pertain to carb engines so I am at a loss for what to check next. Any help is appreciated.

So are you testing for voltage while cranking or just the 2 seconds it comes on when you turn the key on?
    The crank sensor could cause this problem and worth looking into as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm checking it while cranking. I will take a look at the crank sensor. Do you know where it is located? I can't seem to find it on any diagrams.

Quote Originally Posted by Probably the Killswitch View Post
    I'm checking it while cranking. I will take a look at the crank sensor. Do you know where it is located? I can't seem to find it on any diagrams.
    Under the water pump, just left of the harmonic balancer when looking at the belt drive. Probably a $30 part and a PITA to change.

You can check the resistance on the sensor. I believe you want to be under a 1000 ohms. Last one I checked new was 300-ish and the old one measured 6,000 (trash).
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Thanks for the tips guys, I really appreciate the help. I'll give it a go after work and let you know how she does.

If you turn the key to run you should see 12V at the pump for 1-2 secs and/or even hear it build pressure. If the crank position sensor or oil level switch is bad, then it won't fire when you try to start the engine.

If there is not voltage at the fuel pump at all, then time to start looking at wiring back to the ECM and the ECM itself.

How did it run home once you pumped it to start? Crank position failing usually causes misfires and no power.
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

I'm getting no power to the pump whatsoever. I'll try to pull all the wires out of the conduit first to have a look at them. I'm hesitant to jump straight to the fried-ECM conclusion just yet but I'm stating to get to a point where it's not unreasonable.

Boat ran fine on the way home. Cruised at about 3K rpm for 10-15 minutes then came down to an idle without issue to dock. No spit/sputter or rpm weirdness.

Quote Originally Posted by Probably the Killswitch View Post
    I'm getting no power to the pump whatsoever. I'll try to pull all the wires out of the conduit first to have a look at them. I'm hesitant to jump straight to the fried-ECM conclusion just yet but I'm stating to get to a point where it's not unreasonable.

Boat ran fine on the way home. Cruised at about 3K rpm for 10-15 minutes then came down to an idle without issue to dock. No spit/sputter or rpm weirdness.
    Considering it was hard to start, ran fire back home, now won't start, doesn't make me think ECM either, but cannot rule it out yet.
    I'm more likely thinking part of the start lock-out circuit that allows the pump and injectors to power up. Most EFI systems lock-out on crank position, oil level, and coolant temp. Those are the 3 sensors I would go after first.

Coolant temp sensor fails high
    Oil Level sensor fails low
    Crank position just fails and doesn't give feedback.
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

When you say you are getting no power to the fuel pump... Are you actually measuring no voltage at the wire feeding the pump itself, or is the pump just not making any noise or running? Forgive me if I missed something earlier.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Quote Originally Posted by HFarr View Post
    When you say you are getting no power to the fuel pump... Are you actually measuring no voltage at the wire feeding the pump itself, or is the pump just not making any noise or running? Forgive me if I missed something earlier.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    I am holding my multimeter leads to the connections on the pump while someone else cranks the key. No voltage at any point.