Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Makai thruster install

Figured I should just start a new thread instead of continuing hijack Larry's review of the Supra thruster.

I picked up a sideshift stern thruster for my Makai on Black Friday last year. My comments below on how it is performing so far copied below from the other thread.

"I added a thruster to my Makai. Not the same system as on the Supras so cant comment on the amount of thrust but it sounds similar. Enough to back straight up and slowly turn the boat on its axis in either direction.

As for the use cases I think all of the comments are spot on. I don't think it will help much to get back to your rider quicker. Turning the wheel opposite of your surfer (the surf tabs help) while coming off plane already kicks the boat around almost immediately so no need for a thruster there.

I do use it some once I get back to the surfer just to position the boat in the direction I want to go relative to the rider. Like mentioned, its not an issue for advanced riders but some of the younger ones and novices like to come up on the surf side and thruster makes that easier especially if it is windy or you want to switch directions and head back where you came from. My kids have also just started trying some dock starts on a wakeboard and it was really nice to be able to keep the boat aligned while bringing them the rope and easing out the slack.

Docking is great and I use it every time even if it is just to bump it for a second or two to make it slide in perfectly. Any slight mis-alignment that might previously have needed to be handled by your bumpers or dock hands is now easily adjusted for with the thruster.

Also love being able to back in a straight line or turn against the prop rotation. Backing into the beach is now easier and no more big sweeping 180's in reverse because I cant point the back of the boat where I want it to go.

Have been driving inboards for a really long time so definitely didn't need it but it sure is nice to have. Don't think I will ever own another boat without one."
    2015 Mojo with autoflow

What did you pay for it and how was the install?
    2020 Supra SA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Mojo with autoflow

Gosh its not a little guy huh haha
    Looks pretty simple however
    Josh
    2021 Mojo, Sold 7/15/22
    2023 Supreme S240, on order

Yeah, pretty good size but fits well in that location. I actually also rotated the Joystick 90 degrees from that picture. Feels more natural to push up than back to move the back of the boat to the right. Was trying to find the pictures I took of the wiring harness install but no luck. Will have to snag one next time I am down at the boat.
    2015 Mojo with autoflow

That's got to be the first one I've seen mounted on the wakeplate instead of the transom.

How much was the system?
    Did you install it yourself?
    If you did, was it shadetree or a pita?
    If not, how much was install?

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

Quote Originally Posted by RC_Hinojosa View Post
    That's got to be the first one I've seen mounted on the wakeplate instead of the transom.

How much was the system?
    Did you install it yourself?
    If you did, was it shadetree or a pita?
    If not, how much was install?

They have a few more pictures on other brand wake boats on their website but yeah I hadnt seen that mounting option before either. Might not be as clean of a look as some of the others but a much simpler install and less holes to drill through the transom.
    2015 Mojo with autoflow

Quote Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
    What did you pay for it and how was the install?
    I think with the 20% off black Friday deal it came to about $2800. Install was straight forward. Getting the heavy gauge wiring run and connected was a bit of a pain but not terrible.
    2015 Mojo with autoflow

Quote Originally Posted by cpropes2005 View Post
    I think with the 20% off black Friday deal it came to about $2800. Install was straight forward. Getting the heavy gauge wiring run and connected was a bit of a pain but not terrible.
    That's not half bad...not nearly as much as I was imagining but you probably saved at least a grand doing the install yourself.

Well done sir!

2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

Quote Originally Posted by RC_Hinojosa View Post
    That's not half bad...not nearly as much as I was imagining but you probably saved at least a grand doing the install yourself.

Well done sir!

Haha, yeah had shopped the other brands for a while but couldn't bring myself to do it for those prices. This one came along and dropped just below my "screw it click the buy button" threshold.
    2015 Mojo with autoflow