Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default buying a Moomba Makai vs MC NXT24

hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, joined to try and get some real world details on buying the Moomba Makai boat. We put our deposit down on a Moomba Makai for an order. We currently have a 2003 Supra Launch "non Vdrive" boat its been a great boat but looking for bigger newer boat. I have looked around but so far Moomba seems to be the most Boat for the money. I haven't actually seen a Makai yet due to no dealers having any instock. I did however test drive MC NXT24 and that boat seemed awesome but was plain and didn't seem like it came with near as much as the Makai for 15K more.

I am mainly into wakeboarding, although I know the wake surfing thing is the hot thing now and i am sure we will be into that as well, so the wake is important for sure, we will also be taking the boat in the saltwater, intercoastal and want a good boat handling chop and salt.

the NXT24 seem like it might be better at handling chop but again I have nothing to compare it too? it seems both boats will have a good wake surf wake once dialed in?

anyways just wanted to get some input.

thanks guys!

Mike

I don't know anything about salt water on either boat or really much about the NXT24 however I looked at a NXT22 when I was shopping and if you were to park my mojo beside the NXT22 you would pick the Moomba every single time. The interior was light years ahead. Engine was better, surf system was better, styling was better. The mojo was way deeper than the NXT22 and would handle chop much better and you wouldn't worry as much about a wave coming over the bow.
    I would go in blind on the makai however if you are on the fence wait until you can see a makai in person because I'm almost positive it will take the cake!
    Josh
    2021 Mojo, Sold 7/15/22
    2023 Supreme S240, on order

josh,

yes I am feeling that way for sure and I haven't even seen the makai, I also really like the walkthrough which the NTX does not have. is it easy on the Mojo to get in and service the motor, on NXT the guy pulled the back out like it was nothing and the entire motor was very easy to get too? never owned a V drive boat so that's new to me.

The ridiculously cheap looking tower on the NXT boats would keep me from buying one...also not a fan of the slopping mid section lines. Of course we all have our own tastes.

I am not a big fan of the Moomba front bird look or the Max front stout look..

At the end I’d go Moomba versus buying a cheap looking Mastercraft.

Of course this is a cosmetic comparison only. I am sure the Mastercraft performs great.
    2021 Moomba Max

Its 4 screws to pull the hump to change the V drive oil, the top tray over the motor comes out easy when you open both reach hatches to open the center hatch. The side panels on the motor can be pulled easy too. I am 6' 190# and can just about sit in the rear locker of my Mojo. With the side engine panels removed I could easily sit back there and change plugs, etc. Tons of room in there.

I dont think you will need to do anything but pull the top motor tray to change the oil, and that can be done in under 30 seconds.
    2021 Mojo

Default buying a Moomba Makai vs MC NXT24

What engine comes in the NXT now? The one I looked at had the 5.7L so going to the 6.2L was a huge win for me.
    Plus with the 7 year engine warranty from indmar (if they are still offering it) I don't plan on ever having to be back there.

Pic of the nxt22 I looked into because who doesn’t like pics haha
    Last edited by Josh828; 06-07-2021 at 09:46 AM.
    Josh
    2021 Mojo, Sold 7/15/22
    2023 Supreme S240, on order

The Makai would win everyday for me. You get all the options and nice upgrades over the NXT24 and the price is still the same. In 2019 local dealer wanted $102k for a NXT24 with teak platform, basic stereo, and the small screen you see in Josh's photo.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

that interior does not even begin to look appealing to me. have only been on a couple of nxt's and it's been a few years but they did feel like they would not hold up in a comparison with other value boats.
    they do sell a lot of them tho so def. have a fan base or good salesmen. or in this market, one of the only dealers with boats in stock- just like axis.. makes ya wonder
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I looked at both side by side at the dealer and the Makai is miles ahead of the NXT.
    Not brand biased here I like both manufacturers but the Makai feels like a base level luxury boat.
    The NXT just feels like a budget boat.
    2020 Supra SA

I'm pretty sure my interior is even better than that NXT in the photo posted...
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...