Default Prop Installation

Hello all, it's time for me to get my boat back on the water and I need some help putting my prop back on. I had some dings fixed over the winter and I want to make sure I put it back on correctly.

Any how-to's ect.. would be greatly appreciated.

I have an '06 Outback with the factory 3 blade prop.

Thanks

Pretty hard to screw up. The drive shaft is tapered. and so is the hole in the middle of the prop. The wider hole is th one that you face toward the drive shaft. I htink I have found it easiest to put the key in the slot in the shaft, rather than the prop. Push it on as far as you can by hand. Then thread the nylock nut on. Tighten with a good fitting wrench ( I would not use an adjustable, just because we all tend to not tighten them enough and might round the edges on the nut). You will probably need to block the prop with a chunk of 2x4 while tightening.

If you are still with only 1 prop, I highly recommend getting a second and always bring it with you (in vehicle, not boat - cause you'll never change it in the water). I have had two instances where I wished I'd had a second prop in the middle of the day. The first time, I did not and days was over. The second time, 10-15 minutes on the trailer and I was back on the ski.

Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

I would recommend having the second prop in the boat as it does give you the option to change the prop on the water which is not the best way to change the prop but sometimes may be the only option. I dread the day I have to go under my boat to change a prop but I have prepared myself to so. If I was near my launch point I would try to limp in and load up the boat but I would call it a day. I don't think I would be too enthusiast in changing the prop on the launch and going back out. I carry a snorkel and mask along with a puller and spare parts in the boat.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. As you stated, it was pretty easy. I just wanted to make sure I did it right.

I am actually shopping for a prop because of all the comments on these threads, but I'm undecided as to what I want to get. Maybe you guys can help.

I have an '06 Outback DD. I wakeboard mostly, but we do have some skiers and knee boarders as well. Right now I have a 3 blade 13x11.5 Acme brass prop. I have added ballast that can go up to about 1200lbs if I want it to, but usually don't fill it all the way. I think I'd like a 4-blade prop and then use my 3 blade as a spare, does that sound like a good idea? If so what pitch would be the best for my boat/needs.

Thanks for you help

Default Moved..

I moved this discussion to to the Geneal Chat Forum..

https://forum.moomba.com/viewtopic.php?t=4115