Default Thermostat replacement

Hello all looking for some help. Just bought a 05 Moomba Mobius Lsv, after using the boat a few times it would overheat when not in gear. Running full out temp is fine but as soon as I put in neutral it overheated. I replaced the impeller, cleaned the water filters and now replaced the thermostat with with one I found on a Forum the Sierra 18-3649. When I used it yesterday it didn’t overheat but temp was steady at 180. The thermostat is supposed to be 160. Can anyone advise?

Gauge is probally off.My boat does the same thing.
    jy

Quote Originally Posted by james yarosz View Post
    Gauge is probally off.My boat does the same thing.
    Before I replaced the thermostat the old one when running wide open would hold at 160. Is there a way to test the gauge?

Quote Originally Posted by Donkado View Post
    Before I replaced the thermostat the old one when running wide open would hold at 160. Is there a way to test the gauge?
    What is the gauge reading completely cold with the key turned on, but not running? Does the 05 have closed loop cooling or sucking lake water (impeller, so I assume closed loop)

Analog gauges with bad grounds and/or lose connections will never read accurately. I would check the back of the dash for any lose connections. Next think about your water pump (not impeller) on the engine. If it is starting to fail it could not be pumping enough to cycle the antifreeze through. Most have weep holes that drip coolant when they are about done working (on cars anyway).
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

I have had some of the same issues. Have you replaced the temp gauge sensor? It just screws in to the block and is relatively inexpensive on skidim.com. That might be the issue.

Perhaps it is a 180 tstat instead of a 160 in the box by mistake?
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug