Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Audio Engine Hum in Speakers

I have a 2014 Moomba Mondo and when I reconnected my Speakers\Stereo\Amp to the Battery this season, I am getting an Engine Hum when I start the boat in the speakers.

What should the wiring be to avoid this? I do not have a separate battery for the speakers\stereo\amp. I have two wires (red and black) coming from the Amp. Should the black\ground be grounded to metal on the boat not the battery itself?

Thanks
    Last edited by arotoli; 06-05-2021 at 12:20 PM.

Do you have 2 batteries and a switch for them? I was having issues with the speakers and sound for a long time with my 2014 Mojo. I then saw someone post that you should always only run off just one battery ( I was always running off both batteries at once - as that's what I was originally told to do). As soon as I switched to just running off one battery at a time, I haven't had a problem with my speakers since... If you're still having issues, I have the same year as your boat, different model, but probably similar electrical setup for speakers / stereo and amp. Keep me posted, and I can take pictures of how mine is connected next time I'm at the cottage...
    ----------------------------------------
    2014 Moomba Mojo 2.5
    2013 Moomba LSV (Sold)
    2013 Moomba Outback V (Sold)
    2002 Mastercraft X-5

I would bet that your humming is noise on the RCA cables not the power. Check to see if the ends are touching something at the amp or head unit. Unplug them one at a time and check to see if the humming is better or worse. The RCA cables can go bad, but doubtful. Not being plugged in all the way will cause this also.

Do you have a knob to control subwoofer volume under the dash? I would suspect moisture got into the knob and is causing the noise. You can remove it from the system a plug directly into the head unit and it should be gone, if that is the source.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

It is a 1 battery system in the boat. Thanks for the couple items to try. I will take a look at those this weekend and see if it is still causing the issue.

I have developed an hum in my REV10's when both batteries are picked on the splitter toggle. No hum is present when just using batt 1 or batt 2. This is frustating as I surf with both batteries and want to start the boat with both. I alternate between batteries when sitting in a cove every other time we go out. Any thoughts?

Costanza, did you ever figure out why this was happening?
    2018 Moomba MOJO
    4100lbs. ENZO's, Center Tank, IBS
    780lbs. Lead Wake
    Raptor 400
    Surf Prop: OJ 945
    2019 Ford F150 FX4
    5.0L V8

Quote Originally Posted by jnr4817 View Post
    I have developed an hum in my REV10's when both batteries are picked on the splitter toggle. No hum is present when just using batt 1 or batt 2. This is frustating as I surf with both batteries and want to start the boat with both. I alternate between batteries when sitting in a cove every other time we go out. Any thoughts?

Costanza, did you ever figure out why this was happening?
    Hey there, there was a thread I found online somewhere talking about it - I had this issues for years on 3 different Moomba's , even paid my dealer to redo cabling and look at the system and they never found an issue - yet still told me to keep using the switch set at both batteries... I'll see if I can find it again and post it back. After so long of having this issue, I was amazed that it was such a simple fix. I too like to start boat with both batteries, but am just using one now. It chuggs a little bit, but still starts. If I find the post, I'll put the link back here... All 3 of my boats had the exact same stock stereo and amp... Problem likely due to the cheaper products, so many people upgrade the amp, that I'm guessing that's part of the issue.
    Last edited by costanza; 06-16-2021 at 03:23 PM. Reason: more info
    ----------------------------------------
    2014 Moomba Mojo 2.5
    2013 Moomba LSV (Sold)
    2013 Moomba Outback V (Sold)
    2002 Mastercraft X-5

For what it’s worth, the manual doesn’t exactly recommend running on “1&2”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

^what he said. I run battery #1 on odd number days and battery #2 on even number days (based on that days date) since I can’t ever remember what battery I ran last time out. Seems to balance out.
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

Quote Originally Posted by z28ke View Post
    ^what he said. I run battery #1 on odd number days and battery #2 on even number days (based on that days date) since I can’t ever remember what battery I ran last time out. Seems to balance out.
    Same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by z28ke View Post
    That's really a good plan. I don't have any buzzing problems, but may start doing that too. My last boat had a Perko on it that still charged both batteries even if you only had one selected. I guess from reading the manual, this one doesn't work that way.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub