Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hull through exhaust problem

Noticed my bilge was filling with water when I was sitting and thought it was the packing. Replaced with gotex, still more leaking. Diving in more I found water spilling in from the hull through exhaust . Read the forums and seen all the destruction from this poor designed plastic piece and sure enough mine was no exception! Melted , barely screwed into the transom. I unbolted and it literally fell straight to the ground . Noticed after cleaning the Delaminated transom. The plan - get my machinist friend to make 2 new aluminum hull though exhaust flanges with better hole placement and tighter tolerances. As for the transom I’m gonna let it air dray and then epoxy and clamp back together . Any more ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated ! - Eric

Sounds like your plan is probably the best. Only thing is possible corrosion with the aluminum going forward, but that won't happen anytime soon as long as no salt water.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Thanks for the reply - stuck in Ohio so only fresh water ! As far as repair epoxy ? And recommendations ??? I’m reading that the JB weld marine is highly rated . Good tensile strength and temps up to 550 . Thoughts ??

It's hard to beat JB weld. I think that will be fine. I am not 100% sure, but I dont believe your exhaust will get anywhere close to 550 with the water keeping it cool. Probably never get above 200. You should be fine. That being said though, the plastic should have held up better too. Make sure your pump is working like it should.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

I rescued the boat from that state up north ... some things were taken care of but the small things neglected. I guess that comes with used boat ownership. I enjoy doing all my maintenance myself as much as I can. The impeller was missing quite a few fins when I winterized the boat for storage. Fixed my trailer brakes , packing nut , and navigation lights .

One of the last things on the list Is getting “perfect pass “ to work . Any ideas ?

Default Impeller

Replaced impeller and gasket
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by bucky89 View Post
    Replaced impeller and gasket
    The impeller caused your problem. Less flow = less cooling on the exhaust manifold.
    Good deal you rescued that poor thing from up north.

What lakes do you visit Bucky? I'm in cbus myself.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Haha ya that forsaken state ! I’m gonna keep posting on the rebuild. I’m north of you in Mansfield . Our normal lake is pleasant hill- 25 mins. I have plans on alum creek , Indian lake and salt fork. I’ve been to salt fork before but not aluminum creek or Indian lake.

Your plan sounds good.
    Straight Epoxy is better than JB any day of the week IMO. You want it thin enough to soak into the surrounding glass to get a good bond, JB would just be filler in this situation. I would tape the whole area off and then get as much epoxy in there as you can.
    Generic Fiberglass resin would also work fine.
    2020 Supra SA

Never been to pleasant hill.
    Alum I only visit during the week when the crazies are all at work. The marina to rent a boat or jet ski to anyone.
    I go south on the weekends - deer creek or ceasers creek.

Indian lake is shallow!!! 6-8ft average depth. Be careful around there and take an extra prop. Froggy's is always a good spot on the lake though.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow