Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best vs worst case scenario

My poor wife is traumatized. She was learning to drive the boat today and after ample practice she was brave enough to give me a pull.

She saw a danger buoy and steered left of it but not far enough.

Suddenly the prop hit ground and a lot of grinding sounds for a couple of seconds. She was petrified.

Drove back to dock at like 3mph with obvious vibrations, even on steering wheel. I knew exactly what happened as I’ve done it before in my early years of boating!

She shredded an acme 2775.

So obviously I need a new prop. The hull, tracking fins, plates and everything else luckily were unharmed.

The rudder has a tiny bit of shrapnel marks but otherwise looks good.

The prop shaft mount looks good and no spider cracks around bolts.

I’m assuming best case scenario is just a new prop. But worst....?

As I shop for a new propeller, please let me know what y’all recommend if not another 2775 for our 2017 Supra SA.

Most importantly everyone was safe and wife is good now and will go out and learn to drive again

Thanks all!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fact that you, hopefully, kept your cool about it and she is willing to go back out and drive means that it was still not a bad day.
    Everyone was safe and the ~$600 is just a giant OH S*** moment. Change the prop, then check for any vibrations again. I hit a couple I/O props in my day.

My wife was learning today also....so I understand completely.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Quote Originally Posted by Holdmybeer View Post
    The fact that you, hopefully, kept your cool about it and she is willing to go back out and drive means that it was still not a bad day.
    Everyone was safe and the ~$600 is just a giant OH S*** moment. Change the prop, then check for any vibrations again. I hit a couple I/O props in my day.

My wife was learning today also....so I understand completely.
    Yes. Something I pride myself in is my patience. So as she was petrified and apologizing I made sure she understood it was fine, I’ve done it before, and we had 4 hours on the lake prior to this happening.

Thanks for the suggestions

drive shaft could have a slight bend as well but hopefully just the prop. Been there and done that myself. Glad you kept your cool
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Quote Originally Posted by eder10986 View Post
    Yes. Something I pride myself in is my patience. So as she was petrified and apologizing I made sure she understood it was fine, I’ve done it before, and we had 4 hours on the lake prior to this happening.

Thanks for the suggestions

As for prop suggestions....the 2775 is pretty aggressive. Your SA is heavier than my Mojo so I'm sure you need it.
    I'm thinking about going 15x13 (OJ 945) myself and after today I'm not sure I need to.
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

It will be fine.

Times have changed. There are a number of dating sites on the internet that allow you to search for women with boating experience. Couple that with the fact that alimony laws have been relaxed in several states, and I don't think the worse case scenario will be as bad as you think
    2016 Starcraft Limited 1918 (sold)
    2021 MB Sports B52 Alpha (coming April 2021)
    2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
    2022 F-150 SCREW PB (ordered 12/2021...still waiting)
    B-737 (Work Vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
    It will be fine.

Times have changed. There are a number of dating sites on the internet that allow you to search for women with boating experience. Couple that with the fact that alimony laws have been relaxed in several states, and I don't think the worse case scenario will be as bad as you think
    And the winner is.....
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Quote Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
    It will be fine.

This

Is

Amazing

Must have been "teach the wife to drive the boat day" cause I did the same. Fortunately she did really well other than yelling at me because the seat wouldn't adjust perfectly to her liking, cussing me because she almost hit the neighbors dock and then insisting, rather passionately, that I dock the #&@÷(*× thing becausr it should steer in neutral. But no, she did great.
    Lesson #1: You can't drive a boat while nervous.

2004 Moomba Outback LS
    2016 Wrangler JK

Quote Originally Posted by Jimm View Post
    Must have been "teach the wife to drive the boat day" cause I did the same. Fortunately she did really well other than yelling at me because the seat wouldn't adjust perfectly to her liking, cussing me because she almost hit the neighbors dock and then insisting, rather passionately, that I dock the #&@÷(*× thing becausr it should steer in neutral. But no, she did great.
    Lesson #1: You can't drive a boat while nervous.
    Sounds about right.

Lesson #2: you still cannot drive a boat while angry
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow