Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Adding Amp and sub to 2021 Kaiyen

2021 Kaiyen is coming with base cabin audio (4 wetsounds cabin speakers off of the head unit) and two rev 8’s on the tower with amp from the factory.

Goal: Add a sub in an enclosed box below the helm or OB storage powered by an amp and power the 4 cabin speakers with an amp

Quality: I have a young family and am on a small lake and don’t need to be the loudest on the lake. I just want to add some balanced bass to the audio is all. Budget conscious, good value.

Questions
    1. Do I run two separate amps (one for cabins one for sub) in addition to the tower amp? If so what do you recommend?

2. Do I run a single 5 channel amp for the cabins and a sub? If so what do you recommend?

3. Sub recommendations?

Thank you

PFA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sure is a purdy kaiyen. love the color combo. we spec'ed that pattern out when we were building.....

I'll let mla reply as he can hook ya up with both suggestions and some solid gear to get ya going. I love the jl 12w6's for bass but it's overkill if you don't want to thump hard.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

IMO...I would only add the amp to the cabin speakers if you were going to add bow speakers also. The head unit won't handle 6. If you aren't looking to be the loudest and just want a mild upgrade with the little ones, just put the sub under the helm and amp in and be done.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Quote Originally Posted by Holdmybeer View Post
    IMO...I would only add the amp to the cabin speakers if you were going to add bow speakers also. The head unit won't handle 6. If you aren't looking to be the loudest and just want a mild upgrade with the little ones, just put the sub under the helm and amp in and be done.
    Does adding an amp to the cabins make them sound any clearer or does it just give them the ability to be louder?

If you are a HiFi type of person, you will notice the clearer sound of the amp.
    At high volumes, the clarity is better with the amp over the head unit. The 20w RMS that the head unit is pushing will distort and almost crackle in the speakers at high volume. The amp will push 50-75w RMS to the same speakers so volume can be left lower hints less distortion from the head unit and still louder speakers.

It is personal preference and certainly something worth the amp but given your situation, (budget friendly, and little ones) you won't be listening at loud volume much anyway.

Not sure what unit comes in the new boats, but I would look into making sure what ever direction you go you can have zone control on the towers. This was a must when I fixed my audio. My towers speakers only get used when towing or wanting to draw attention. Otherwise we turn that zone down or off and float in the swim area.
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

For a solid value setup, Id be all over Kicker KXMA900.5 (when it becomes available) marine amp and a KM10 or 12 woofer. These woofers are offered in a free-air and small enclosure versions. The woofer chnl of the amp will deliver up to 400W rms and the 4 full-range chnls will allow for better tuning v's the head unit and room to add a 3rd pair of in-boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Holdmybeer View Post
    If you are a HiFi type of person, you will notice the clearer sound of the amp.
    At high volumes, the clarity is better with the amp over the head unit. The 20w RMS that the head unit is pushing will distort and almost crackle in the speakers at high volume. The amp will push 50-75w RMS to the same speakers so volume can be left lower hints less distortion from the head unit and still louder speakers.

It is personal preference and certainly something worth the amp but given your situation, (budget friendly, and little ones) you won't be listening at loud volume much anyway.

Not sure what unit comes in the new boats, but I would look into making sure what ever direction you go you can have zone control on the towers. This was a must when I fixed my audio. My towers speakers only get used when towing or wanting to draw attention. Otherwise we turn that zone down or off and float in the swim area.
    All good info here. Adding an amp will make it clearer and give you the ability to go louder as others have stated. A sub does make a significant difference, it will give you more low and mid end range. Ive owned numerous Kicker and Rockford Fosgate amps and I have been very happy with both. If I were in your situation, I would start with adding an amp to the interior speakers that solely powers the interior and tower, no sub. If you want more add a sub and another amp later. They do make amps that power both interior and subs. For me I personally do not like those as they typically only have 4 channels / for 4 speakers. That means you have to double up a couple of the channels which changes somethings around or separate the tower speakers off. I would look for a 6 channel amp (a tad difficult to find or 2, 4 channel amps), that'll give you the ability to balance the tower and the interior speakers equally as you turn up the volume so one doesn't blast over another. I went with the 2 Rockford Fosgate punch amps, they have the ability to add a boost nob to adjust things on the fly which I really liked.
    On sort of a side note, they make do make marine grade amps for wet environments. They are more expensive and Ive never personally owned one. All my amps are way up under the observers seat. For me water never really gets in there so I just went the normal non-marine grade amps. They do get warm, I have to constantly tell the wife not to pile 7 towels on them....

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    For a solid value setup, Id be all over Kicker KXMA900.5 (when it becomes available) marine amp and a KM10 or 12 woofer. These woofers are offered in a free-air and small enclosure versions. The woofer chnl of the amp will deliver up to 400W rms and the 4 full-range chnls will allow for better tuning v's the head unit and room to add a 3rd pair of in-boats.
    MLA is offering great advice here. That kicker amp looks to have everything you would want.
    The amp specs will allow you to amplify all 4 cabins WS speakers to peak RMS power, and allow for a 400w RMS sub of your choice. If you add 2 WS bow speakers in the future, then run the cabins in parallel (+ to + and - to -) and the bows on independent channels. Tune amp accordingly to balance and leave the Rev8's on their own amp.

I have 3 amps in my boat because I bought it like that, and then I spent 3 days re-wiring it and cleaning it all up. I also had to build a box because free-air subs are pointless and don't sound good. I thought about replacing 2 amps with a single 5-channel but right now it sounds good and I'm happy with it.
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Default Adding Amp and sub to 2021 Kaiyen

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Any thoughts on the wetsounds as-10 sub/amp/enclosure?

Quote Originally Posted by Schlanseay View Post
    Any thoughts on the wetsounds as-10 sub/amp/enclosure?

Great package for the right application. My first approach is to avoid placing a woofer in a close, insulated locker. This can greatly reduce the perceived output. Once solution is to cut a hole, mount a grill and vent the locker. I would rather have a woofer that radiates directly to the cabin, even if its a free-air.