Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: propeller

Default propeller

hey,

i'm going to ride my moomba boat from finland to sweden. the problem is that the propeller pitch is too dense resulting in high engine speeds. what kind of propeller would be good for top speed as high as possible? and gasoline consumption low? I have a standard propeller. engine indmar Assault 325. Boat is mobius 2003
    2003 Moomba Mobius LS

You need a prop with a bigger pitch...So for example a 15” prop will move 15” with one revolution....a 20” pitch will move 20” with one revolution...

Determine what your current pitch is and go up several inches...stick with the same diameter..
    2021 Moomba Max

Good luck Vito. I don't pretend to know anything about your local geography, I just looked it up out of curiosity on Google earth and I see the narrow point as the Baltic sea joins the Gulf of Bothnia is about 25 miles. I would assume there will be some pretty high seas crossing that narrow. Is this what u are planning? Just curious.
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 Yamaha Waverunner(Just to fool around)
    2018 F150 Lariat
    sport edition, 3.5lt ecoboost

Quote Originally Posted by Isaguel View Post
    Good luck Vito. I don't pretend to know anything about your local geography, I just looked it up out of curiosity on Google earth and I see the narrow point as the Baltic sea joins the Gulf of Bothnia is about 25 miles. I would assume there will be some pretty high seas crossing that narrow. Is this what u are planning? Just curious.
    thought the same thing. interested to see where and how. ocean waters are scary from what I remember boating around florida that empties into the gulf.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

As long as you head straight across, that distance should be no problem on one tank of petrol, even with the stock prop. Assuming you can fill up on the other side before making your way back. Unless you are trying to outrun something.

The first thing that came to my mind? "Vaya Con Dios"...

The 2003 isn't exactly an ocean going vessel, let alone a big river vessel for that matter. I've been on the ocean in a boat about the same length but with three times the freeboard of mine and still had some serious pucker factor going on.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by Isaguel View Post
    hello, the distance Vaasa / Finland -> Umeå / sweden is about 100km. 20km is a river in Sweden. intended to brew beer in Sweden and then back��
    2003 Moomba Mobius LS

Quote Originally Posted by brad460 View Post
    You need a prop with a bigger pitch...So for example a 15” prop will move 15” with one revolution....a 20” pitch will move 20” with one revolution...

Determine what your current pitch is and go up several inches...stick with the same diameter..
    I rarely pull water skis because there is only enough warm water here in midsummer. attached are a few pictures of the current propeller. this propeller has a top speed of 40mph, cruising speed of 27-30mph. which propeller would be suitable for a cruising speed of 45 mph, top speed 55-60mph.
    power can be found in the boat
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2003 Moomba Mobius LS

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    As long as you head straight across, that distance should be no problem on one tank of petrol, even with the stock prop. Assuming you can fill up on the other side before making your way back. Unless you are trying to outrun something.

The first thing that came to my mind? "Vaya Con Dios"...

The 2003 isn't exactly an ocean going vessel, let alone a big river vessel for that matter. I've been on the ocean in a boat about the same length but with three times the freeboard of mine and still had some serious pucker factor going on.
    https://goo.gl/maps/xj7Q1TMAW92ZzP5k8
    2003 Moomba Mobius LS

Sorry Vito, I'm not one to tell people what to do, but, I would reconsider. You have a 13 mile stretch of open ocean water and likely to have high sea's. Going fast ain't gonna help. Unless the water there is unusually calm, even small 3-4 foot sea's will be enough to put your vessel at peril. With that said, whatever you do, God speed, let us know how it goes.
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 Yamaha Waverunner(Just to fool around)
    2018 F150 Lariat
    sport edition, 3.5lt ecoboost

I would be trying to figure out how to cover that bow to keep a possible wave from rolling over it. Doesn't a Mobius ride sort of low in the bow?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub