Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 16 Mojo: Motor spraying water...everywhere

Hey y'all -

As I do every year, I took my 16 Mojo out this weekend for a pre-season check run. The boat is winterized by the marina, which has many boats with Raptors in them. Previous years, winterization has gone fine and the boat has run perfectly. I know that doesn't mean it was done right this year.

Post warm up for about 5 minutes, I eased the boat out of the marina and putted along for a few minutes before slowly adding RPMs. About 5 minutes later I was cruising at about 25-30mph when there was a loss of power. I throttled back, opened the engine compartment and found water spraying from just about everywhere. I pulled the cover and the heat exchanger was spraying water, as were - from the best I could tell - manifolds? Hard to say.

Sources of water were coming from bow and stern areas of the motor as well as the heat exchanger. Didn't pop any codes or the check engine light.

Here's a video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D62C4x9lsnU

I called the marina and they helped me back to the marina safely and I'm taking the boat to the shop Tuesday.

I don't want to assume anything, looking for thoughts on this. Thank you.

To me, that looks like all of the failure points of a closed cooled Raptor that has been frozen. Sorry. Time to talk to your marina!
    2018 Moomba Craz | Autowake 2.0, Zero-Off, G6 Pumps | Captain Blue/Dark Graphite/Silver Flake | Enzos + Lead

not wanting to put the cart before the horse. could be a lot of things but I would suspect korey is spot on.
    let the shop that winterized it do their thing and then expect them to pay for repairs one it's determined that it was a winterization failure.

not sure of your location but if in texas get in line behind many others with same issue.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Default 16 Mojo: Motor spraying water...everywhere

Engine will be fine, but sounds like cooling loop needs replacement.

Where are you located?

Curious how many winterizations in areas that don’t typically freeze are legit winterizations.

Or those who stored indoors heated got burned by this winter freeze and power outage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by larry_arizona; 05-03-2021 at 11:58 AM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Internal Engine loop should be ok. Although how old is the engine coolant in your 2016, it’s technically rated for -30f for two years. Maintenance schedule for engine antifreeze is 2 years as it’s propylene glycol. It will probably last longer than 2 years.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Internal Engine loop should be ok. Although how old is the engine coolant in your 2016, it’s technically rated for -30f for two years. Maintenance schedule for engine antifreeze is 2 years as it’s propylene glycol. It will probably last longer than 2 years.

Coolant is about 2 years old as it was flushed when I bought it in 18. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    not wanting to put the cart before the horse. could be a lot of things but I would suspect korey is spot on.
    let the shop that winterized it do their thing and then expect them to pay for repairs one it's determined that it was a winterization failure.

not sure of your location but if in texas get in line behind many others with same issue.
    ok will do. im in nashville so may be OK in terms of wait time (I hope).

scariest thing was seeing the stern fill up with water and hoping the bilge would not fail!

thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by korey View Post
    To me, that looks like all of the failure points of a closed cooled Raptor that has been frozen. Sorry. Time to talk to your marina!
    thanks for this. quick follow-up - do you think it's the closed internal? I believe it's a closed system so would the problem be limited to heat sink / heat exchange or can the closed system still freeze up?

Quote Originally Posted by 16mojo View Post
    thanks for this. quick follow-up - do you think it's the closed internal? I believe it's a closed system so would the problem be limited to heat sink / heat exchange or can the closed system still freeze up?
    Like others have said above, I'm sure the engine is fine. The damage should be limited to the heat exchangers (there are 3) and some hoses and fittings. Worst case, the exhaust manifolds too, that gets more expensive and time consuming. Best of luck!
    2018 Moomba Craz | Autowake 2.0, Zero-Off, G6 Pumps | Captain Blue/Dark Graphite/Silver Flake | Enzos + Lead

I put my boat in the water for the first time this season yesterday. This year was the first year that I winterized just by the book (pull the drain plugs, open disconnect the crossover hose, and take the cover off of the impeller). I usually flush with antifreeze THEN do the book's procedure - overkill. I was terrified of a scene like yours... Everything was OK for me though.