Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Havasu Advice June 7-11? Please help!

I'm having a hard time finding a decent place to stay in Page for a Powell trip (Not ready or prepared for a house boat yet), so we are thinking about Havasu from June 7-11. Yes I know it's hot, but kids would love surfing in warm water and still plenty of airbnb's available.

Anyway, (assuming we actually get our boat) we are wondering if anyone has any advice for nubes in their first V drive down there. I have I/O experience, but always in sub 20K boats that I never worried about dinging up a little here and there (a new prop was $200). I'd rather avoid any real shallow water with my experience, but am looking for some places with a little space for pull sports.

Please share any tips which include where to go and (most importantly) where to avoid (especially for someone who isn't super confident yet) and other resources that may be helpful. We will probably launch daily just because I'd be worried sick thinking about my brand new 100k boat if I rented a slip..lol.

Oh...before we get into it.. you guys think it will be way too hot to enjoy ourselves? I'm hoping early June isn't unbearable.

Thanks in advance!!
    Last edited by Guppydriver; 05-03-2021 at 11:06 AM.
    2016 Starcraft Limited 1918 (sold)
    2021 MB Sports B52 Alpha (coming April 2021)
    2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
    2022 F-150 SCREW PB (ordered 12/2021...still waiting)
    B-737 (Work Vehicle)

havasu will be HOT AF in june. we hit 100 last weekend and havasu will be hotter. expect 105 daily if it was me going and remember it's the desert so the sun is much more intense than slc....

that said I have not spent any time on the water at havasu but have stayed there several times to golf. I like the london bridge resort. it's old and a little dated but its right on the water and has a nice beach to play on. marina/docking and I would not worry about leaving boat in the water there. just empty it out each night and cover. the tige reunion is at havasu springs this fall and looking at the place, they have pool, beach, marina, restaurants and such but depending on where your room is you will want a golf cart to get around. they are quite a ways from town so expect to drive in.

lake is big but it's also a lake full of gofasts so watch for them. the channel under the bridge is no wake and has sand sides to park the boat and play. lots will chill in the channel and watch the parade of boats all day long.

there's a mexican joint right at the start of the london bridge that is really good. never had a bad meal there. the sports bar/restaurant on the other side of the bridge from the mexican joint is really good and has windows overlooking the channel. nice for a dinner out.

lots will take the trip up the river toward needles and supposed to be some super cool canyons up there but be careful with a vdrive. download a good mapping software program or get a river map and study. I know you can make it but knowing the channel is important. I have heard it's a "must do" when in havasu and it's where all the partiers go. nowhere to run a tube or surfer that way. all about the view.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Random pics from spring break 2018 of the channel and lake.

One more.....

Thanks @sandm !

We are going with the kids, so won't be doing much park n' drink, but definitely will check out the restaurants!!

Maybe I will rent the slip, it's probably about the same price as having to launch daily at $15-20 a day. I'm not sure I've got the huevos to beach a new boat even if it is sand, but I will see. As an I/O veteran, I'm sure I'm going to look like a royal dipsh!t trying to dock my V drive into a slip, but you there's a first time for everything..lol.

I will definitely invest in a mapping program, I won't have built in GPS. I plan on doing the Navionics "full app" weekly trial while I'm there connected to a phone or tablet. Is that a good mapping software?
    B-737 (Work Vehicle)

I liked navionics. should be good with it.
    the lines at the launch at havasu can get 2+hrs long on a weekend day so paying the monies to slip will be MORE than made up as you drive past the line. I know a couple that have vacation homes there and they only boat on fridays now. sat/sun is a $hitshow there....

the channel can have drinking but there were a lot of families there as well so don't think it's a big party scene. granted there is some of that but I saw a lot of kids running around and this was during spring break- notorious there for college kids.

Navionics is good. It is a must have at Powell since you can adjust the depth. I suggest you familiarize yourself with it before you need to rely on it though, since there are a bunch of settings that could lead to trouble if you don't watch out (boat configuration, depth offsets for water, depth marks on the map, etc.).

I was at Havasu last week for a week. Check out the VRBO's...they are totally affordable. Get one with a pool which is most of them. Try to get a slip at the marina for your boat......makes life super easy. Go during the week....Fri Sat are a zoo with the Cig Boats. Water was 68 and the temps were 80-95. Best times were early am and late am...and hang at the pool during mid day. Just my experience
    D
    2022 MAX
    Steamboat,CO

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtnsurfer View Post
    I was at Havasu last week for a week. Check out the VRBO's...they are totally affordable. Get one with a pool which is most of them. Try to get a slip at the marina for your boat......makes life super easy. Go during the week....Fri Sat are a zoo with the Cig Boats. Water was 68 and the temps were 80-95. Best times were early am and late am...and hang at the pool during mid day. Just my experience

D
    Sorry Late PM
    2022 MAX
    Steamboat,CO

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtnsurfer View Post
    D
    We are going Monday, leaving Saturday! Good advice! We will do most of the boating during the week and maybe use friday night for a "London Bridge" day! We went through airbnb and got a sweet place with pool for under 2 grand! Really pumped if I can get my GD boat.
    B-737 (Work Vehicle)