Hybrid View

Default Best Setup moomba mondo for wakeboarding

For wakeboarding, anyone have suggestions for wakeboard best setup. I have 2016 moomba mondo auto surf with factory front and rear ballast package.

I usually go 20 mph with 60 foot rope and about 50 percent ballast in rear. Wake plate up. Get ok air off wake but would like more air .

Should I increase ballast in back and speed up?

Maybe go longer rope to 70’?

Add ballast to front too?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ThAnks

Are you running any front ballast? I run a lot in the front of our boat with about half or more rear. I run 21.4 at 65', but adjust speed and length accordingly. Also what board are you riding and what is your skill level. I told you how to make a bigger wake while not being super wide to have to run higher speeds, but your technique and board will have a lot to do with it as well. Post up some videos if you can on here or jump on the Facebook pages like wakeboarding only or wakeboard instruction.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

Thank you for the suggestions. I will ballast the front too, speed up a little and see how that goes. Sounds like that narrows the wake too which would be a big plus. I always assume it would flatten because when I slalom ski I put a small amount in the front ballast that smooths the wake slightly. Of course I’m running 30-35 mph for that so different story.

Skill set level is wake to wake 180’s. Can Ollie 180. So maybe beginning of intermediate level. No videos yet and putting boat in soon - unfortunately northern illinois! Off-season is too long up here. Ronix one time mob is the board I normally ride. Really like it.

Also own Harley classic by liquid force.

There are a lot of variables involved in trying to get more air. Speed and rope length depend on preference, but as you get better you'd probably want to move to 70/75' line at something like 23mph. Having said that, being comfortable with the speed is going to help a lot more than forcing a ride behind a longer rope and faster speed. So go slow as long as the wake is clean. If you find you're feeling like you're dragging through the water (cumbersome or tiring glide speed) or you're not getting a nice snappy clean release off the wake then speed up a bit. Keep the rope length short to make wake to wake clearance a little easier. Once you can easily get wake to wake on your heel edge AND toe edge you can start riding a little longer length. That longer length gives you more of a gap to clear allowing for more height wake to wake along with with more room to generate speed into the wake. Keep in mind though, that going on a longer line means you'll probably have to speed up slightly to get a clean wake.
    As for weighting the boat, load that thing up as much as you can. Fill the stock ballast 100% then add more on top of that. Mid ship weight is usually safe - if the wake is too steep and feels like you're hitting a curb (or rolling over) then you need more bow weight. If it's too flat, you need more rear weight. I like to err on the side of more bow weight - I'd rather have a more mellow transition in the wake, it's easier for timing your pop as well.
    A big wake is way more fun to ride and way easier to get air on. With a small wake you need more line tension and board loading to get the same amount of height. With a bigger wake, you still need to understand the fundamentals of loading and line tension but you can get away with a lot and just coast off of it like a ramp. Don't be scared of a big wake be more scared of higher speed and going out into the flats. As long as you're focusing on popping straight up (by loading your board with a progressive edge, waiting until the top of the wake to pop) then going straight up and down doesn't hurt nearly as bad as peeling across the water out into the flats. Also remember to keep the handle in to your body when you're trying to load more. With more line tension comes more of an abrupt pop, than can sometimes pull you off balance. So remember to keep your arms bent so you don't unintentionally raley or something. Ronix One is has a three stage rocker as well, so that's helpful for that straight up pop I'm talking about.

Also, this is a little unrelated (and not intended to be condescending) but I'd consider an intermediate rider someone who can do a variety of spins up to 540 and a handful of basic inverts, no mobes.
    2008 Moomba LSV - sacked out (wakeboard)

Thanks, really appreciate the detailed post.