Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 92
  1. #21

    Default

    Don't take this the wrong way...I love my kids and I love my friend's kids, but 9 kids and 6 adults on a 23' boat is going to be brutal! Fortunately, all of my friends with kids have their own boats, we may take all the girls one day and have 4-5 girls on our boat and then the next day we might take the boys, some days our kids are on the other boats and we are adults only on ours. Your surf or wakeboarding rotation with that many people will literally take all day. Honestly, that is way too many kids and people in 1 boat in my opinion no matter how well they all get along. You are gonna need a Xanex prescription or maybe you are in a state where marijuana is legal and that would help.
    2018 Supra SL550 with 850lbs of lead wake
    2017 Supra SA400 (Sold)
    2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition (Sold)
    2017 Ford F250 Super Duty(Sold)
    2019 Ford F250 Super Duty
    Soulcraft Vodoo
    Soulcraft Jordi Pro
    Phase Five Matrix

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Hockley, Tx
    Posts
    626

    Default

    My opinion FWIW is that a crew of 15 is going to be crowded on either of those boats (full disclosure I have not set foot in a new Mojo). As stated above 15 on the Makai would even be tight but your other crew size of 10 would be comfortable. I have had 10 adults on my boat and it was very comfortable and enjoyable. Have you built a Mojo and then built a Makai and checked the price difference? Some of the options you are talking about are more expensive on the Mojo vs the Makai so the delta wont be as much.
    2019 Makai - Raptor 450

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prospersigman View Post
    You are gonna need a Xanex prescription or maybe you are in a state where marijuana is legal and that would help.
    I thought those two things were mandatory medications before taking care of children lol

    2018 Moomba Max
    Wakemakers upgrade ballast kit

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Richfield, WI
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Honestly, I did set a budget and it wasn't until I started looking that I realized my budget wasn't realistic. I used to be the guy that said I wouldn't buy anything new. But a few years ago when I was in the market for a truck (because we were having another kid and the car seats wouldn't fit in my old one), I looked and looked and then realized the price difference between new and used wasn't that far off. Really, knowing I was saving less than 20% to buy a newer used truck and possibly buying someone else's problem just didn't seem worth it to me. I ended up buying new and have not regretted it since. Although I will say, I just bought off the lot and did get a really good deal... which definitely helped.

    I suppose this is the reason for looking into a new boat. Again, I've looked at the used market and the savings is about the same... 20%. Plus, used boats right now are often selling for more than they are worth and selling quick. I'm still open to the idea though. I think my wife and I are thinking we'll just save some more money to put down on a new boat and it will balance out. Especially since we know we're not going to be able to get out on the water this year (mainly due to work for me). As for the Supra... at some point the extra couple bucks a month becomes an extra couple hundred bucks and it doesn't balance out. Plus I feel like the resale value on the "budget" boats is better because they are typically within reach for most people who are looking. Hopefully that makes sense.
    Got it..

    For me I like to set a exact budget and will refuse to budge. In the case of a boat it gave me a goal to drive towards- meaning it becomes a challenge for me to get the best boat for the price. I priced out different manufacturers boats, got pricing from 2+ dealers, pitted the dealers against each other on pricing, etc....I also keep emotions out of it - if I donít get the deal I want then we wonít buy. I rather be without a boat for a year than over-pay.

    This all drives my wife nuts because I do this with everything we buy- I wouldnít call myself squeaky per say, just a little ocd when it comes to buying things..
    2021 Moomba Max
    2019 Yamaha AR210 - sucked
    2004 Moomba LSV

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    3,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brad460 View Post
    Got it..

    For me I like to set a exact budget and will refuse to budge. In the case of a boat it gave me a goal to drive towards- meaning it becomes a challenge for me to get the best boat for the price. I priced out different manufacturers boats, got pricing from 2+ dealers, pitted the dealers against each other on pricing, etc....I also keep emotions out of it - if I donít get the deal I want then we wonít buy. I rather be without a boat for a year than over-pay.

    This all drives my wife nuts because I do this with everything we buy- I wouldnít call myself squeaky per say, just a little ocd when it comes to buying things..
    Not a bad approach, itís a lot of work, but with higher end toys, some get more satisfaction out of the ďdealĒ itself.

    As I have aged, itís more about what I want, quality, content, then it is about price. Zero emotion involved.

    I would take a boat that has the exact features, colors, content that I custom ordered over an additional discount for colors and content sitting on the showroom floor.

    To each their own.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Richfield, WI
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Not a bad approach, itís a lot of work, but with higher end toys, some get more satisfaction out of the ďdealĒ itself.

    As I have aged, itís more about what I want, quality, content, then it is about price. Zero emotion involved.

    I would take a boat that has the exact features, colors, content that I custom ordered over an additional discount for colors and content sitting on the showroom floor.

    To each their own.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Itís funny you mention that- I feel like Iíve gotten much worse as Iíve gotten older when it comes to buying things!

    I need help...haha.

    Walked out the other day over a fricken bunk bed for my son...the salesman wouldnít get me a bigger discount. Wife just rolled her eyes...
    Last edited by brad460; 04-23-2021 at 11:34 AM.
    2021 Moomba Max
    2019 Yamaha AR210 - sucked
    2004 Moomba LSV

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    3,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brad460 View Post
    Itís funny you mention that- I feel like Iíve gotten much worse as Iíve gotten older when it comes to buying things!

    I need help...haha.

    Walked out the other day over a fricken bunk bed for my son...the salesman wouldnít get me a bigger discount. Wife just rolled her eyes...
    You will get there, I am now at the age of IDGAF. Takes time grasshopper.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brad460 View Post

    Walked out the other day over a fricken bunk bed for my son...the salesman wouldn’t get me a bigger discount. Wife just rolled her eyes...
    Lol... The budget posts are awesome! Brad, that is basically what I ended up doing with my truck. Driving back and forth over an hour each way until the dealer finally budged. I did the same thing with my wife's vehicle. It can drive my wife crazy as well. But I also know she appreciates the savings. I just know the boat market is so crazy right now and the "deal" likely will not come. Plus, with me living in Colorado we don't have too many boat dealers nearby. As someone else said I don't feel like waiting around knowing I'm missing out on another year of making memories with the family as the kids continue to get older. I know we're already missing this season because of issues unrelated to the purchase. I just love being on the water so much and the thought of missing another season sucks. As for used... right now I just don't want to deal with the headache unless I find something that we're in love with and can grab it before someone else does. I still keep an eye out.

    All... thanks for the info on the size of the crew. I'll be sure to let my wife know your thoughts. We do all get along well and honestly getting three families together for an entire day is like trying to hack the nuclear football. Which is something my wife typically deals with, so I'm not sure if it would ever even happen. We just wanted the "legal" option to do so I suppose.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    3,263

    Default

    Another thing I have learned, donít buy your toys to accommodate others. Buy based on your direct family only.

    Technically, yes a 23 foot boat would be legal with that crew, hell, I am not even sure where 15 life jackets would fit on a max or mojo.

    1st world problems


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    L
    All... thanks for the info on the size of the crew. I'll be sure to let my wife know your thoughts. We do all get along well and honestly getting three families together for an entire day is like trying to hack the nuclear football. Which is something my wife typically deals with, so I'm not sure if it would ever even happen. We just wanted the "legal" option to do so I suppose.
    We have had 16 on our 2016 Mojo. It is a bit cramped, but doable. Since you are talking about young kids, they don't take up as much space. The young kids tend to want to run around the boat so it takes a little bit of education to get them to not move when you are driving and you need an adult to sit up front to keep things in control in the bow. Sitting in the captain's seat it all feels the same though

    Jackets must be worn at all times by kids 12 and under, so that space issue is less of a problem. The biggest issue we have with the big crew is all the extra gear (kneeboards, wakeboards, surfboards) and dealing with food/snacks and keeping things clean. Everyone has to understand with the big crew that they don't get a long surf set and the regulars (my kids) may forego surfing and instead help teach and deal with ropes. It is a good education for them on how to become a future boat owner.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •