Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default 2022 Moomba Max Vs. Mojo

Hello all,

First time post here, but I’ve read a ton from the forum and I’m hoping to get some help. So, my family is looking into purchasing what will end up being a 2022 Max or Mojo. But since we don't have the info on those yet, I'm just going off the 2021 specs. I just wanted to get your thoughts on the two. We have a family of five and we would generally take out another family of five on our last boat, a 2005 Outback. With going into the bigger boat, we might take another family of five as well. So, 15 total with 6 adults and 9 kids who are all under 8 years old. I like to surf, but we do wakeboard as well, and the kids love riding in the tube. We live in Colorado, so our season is a little short. I planned on getting some dry suits to try and extend it a bit. The elevation where we boat is around 5000 feet.

The price I got after upgrades I want on the Max is around $94k (with 400 motor). The price on the Mojo is around $109k (with 450 motor). The dealer said the upgraded motor on the Mojo would be wise and likely necessary due to crew and altitude. Although I’m not sure why it wasn’t suggested on the Max which is only 200 pounds lighter. Honestly, both are a little more than I wanted to spend. But the used market seems difficult right now and it feels like it would be better to spend the extra money and buy new. We plan on trying to buy at the end of the 2021 season. Dealer said they can do about 3% off MSRP and said this is about the same as they would do at the boat show right now (if we had one). I know boats are selling like crazy. But, does that sound right?

Anyway, I know the Max is a ton of value for the amount of boat you are getting. The Mojo seems to have a little more frills (hinged seats, Flow 3 option, walk through transom, trash can, 6 inches bigger, etc). Just wondering what your thoughts are on each? Do you think the upgraded motor is necessary? Does Flow 3 make that big of a difference with a surf/ wake wave? Any thoughts on new vs. used? Advice on must have or don’t do options? Any help or insight you have is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Wren

Mojo all day long. For 15K more you are getting more HP a bigger boat and a better looking boat imo.

Buy the Mojo. Dealer around me wasn't dealing on the price but was willing to throw extra warranty at me when I was shopping new (7yr vs 5yr), and adding extras like $250 pro shop credit. You need the extra power at 5000ft with 15 people and ballast full. My last boat (crownline) with 4 adults, no ballast, and skiing struggled to get on plane in Ohio 900ft.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Quote Originally Posted by Holdmybeer View Post
    Buy the Mojo. Dealer around me wasn't dealing on the price but was willing to throw extra warranty at me when I was shopping new (7yr vs 5yr), and adding extras like $250 pro shop credit. You need the extra power at 5000ft with 15 people and ballast full. My last boat (crownline) with 4 adults, no ballast, and skiing struggled to get on plane in Ohio 900ft.
    Skier’s choice gave 7 years warranty to any delivery starting Jan 2021. It was there endless summer promotion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....jo-vs-2021-max

Here's a great thread, albeit focused on 21' models.

3% off seems silly to me, but maybe that's the environment we are in. A whopping 7 months ago, I was offered 9% and most were getting at least 6% and some freebies without trying.
    2016 Starcraft Limited 1918 (sold)
    2021 MB Sports B52 Alpha (coming April 2021)
    2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
    2022 F-150 SCREW PB (ordered 12/2021...still waiting)
    B-737 (Work Vehicle)

Thanks all. That's how I felt as well. Honestly, initially looking and without checking price, I was hoping to spend closer to 80k on whatever boat we got (new or used). But after looking further into it, I realized that was not going to happen with what we were wanting.

Any thoughts on necessary upgrades or things not to get? Also any thoughts on Flow 3 vs. Flow 2?

Guppy I briefly checked out the other thread as well. I am like you checking two bottles of ketchup and looking at price per ounce for the deal. I am also the guy who feels like he has to have a good deal to make a purchase. So the whole no or limited discount off MSRP is hard. Anyway, Thanks for the link.
    Last edited by Wren; 04-22-2021 at 05:12 PM.

A necessary upgrade to me is surf exhaust. That was mandatory. So was a heater.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigs28 View Post
    A necessary upgrade to me is surf exhaust. That was mandatory. So was a heater.
    Thanks. Those are two upgraded I also felt were mandatory. Especially the heater, since we boat in Colorado and I'd really like to extend the season a bit.

These are strange times. In the past I wouldn't buy a boat if it wasn't 20% off or so.. and those were still bad deals LOL. Now, none of my previous boats were inboard to be fair. The crazy thing is that whatever you pay for your boat today, you're likely to get back if you sell it next year, and the trend looks to continue. I would never in my life thought that I would say that.
    Anyway, work them for a discount and buy the Mojo with flow 3 in my opinion, but if Max make more sense financially, you will be happy too.
    2022 MB F22 Alpha
    2021 Mondo (sold)
    2020 Grand Island Fish
    2017 Sea-Doo Spark

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphy View Post
    These are strange times. In the past I wouldn't buy a boat if it wasn't 20% off or so.. and those were still bad deals LOL. Now, none of my previous boats were inboard to be fair. The crazy thing is that whatever you pay for your boat today, you're likely to get back if you sell it next year, and the trend looks to continue. I would never in my life thought that I would say that.
    Anyway, work them for a discount and buy the Mojo with flow 3 in my opinion, but if Max make more sense financially, you will be happy too.
    I was leaning toward the Mojo as well but felt the need to get some validation. Lol. What are your thoughts on Flow 2 vs. Flow 3? I know Flow 3 adds the extra tab but what does it do in terms of wave quality?