Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My application for idiot of the year award...

So I rolled the dice this winter and lost. Yep, cracked engine block. Boat is at the shop and I'm getting options on replacement motors. Marine shops around me are limited but wanted see if these options sound right. Boat is a 2005 Outback. All numbers are ballpark but out the door prices.

Option 1...brand new motor, about $15‐16k
    Option 2...replace with long block, about $8500 + any other parts that need to be replaced to make it fit
    Option 3..."good" used motor, about $8500
    Option 4...sell the boat needing a new engine

Any advice on the best way to go? Only had the boat a year but got a helluva deal on it. Paid less than any of the options listed. And I'm in Jackson, MS. Anybody with shop recommendations around here would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, and please DM me where I can pick up my award.

sucks to hear.

first question would be what your longer term plans are for it.
    if you're going to keep it for the next 5 years, I'd stick a new long block in it and replace anything that shows wear. I don't think I'd spend the new motor monies as most of the parts can be re-used. assuming your vdrive/tranny are still good.
    if you're planning on peddling it in the next year or 3 I'd either sell as-is and pocket the few grand or stick a used motor in it and sell.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I would shop that price a little bit. Did you look at Summit? Or did that 8,500 include installation/labor too? Also, do you really need a long block or would a short block do it? Unless you are concerned about the old heads. I take it you have a 6.2L in it now?
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Make sure and shop those prices. The Ford 351 marine long block to replace your Assault 325 is $2300 (Summit Racin in-stock). Anything else that might be wrong (assuming Trans and V-drive are good) shouldn't be more than $1500. Labor is $2000-$2500.

All in I'm seeing closer to $6000-$6500 for replacement.
    A good shop, this is a 4 day job if they have parts and no back log. Hell I put a V8 in a YJ wrangler in a weekend.

Good luck
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

https://www.bakesonline.com/indmar-m...ck-engine.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    That one may as well be free.

Thanks, everyone for the responses.

first question would be what your longer term plans are for it.
    The wife and I talked a little about that last night. Anyone got an idea what we could sell it for...ballpark? Are we talking $3k? $7k?

did that 8,500 include installation/labor too? Also, do you really need a long block or would a short block do it? Unless you are concerned about the old heads. I take it you have a 6.2L in it now?
    Yes, all prices would include installation/labor. Current motor is the 5.7

I'll definitely shop it around and see if there are other options.

Is this a v drive, or direct drive?
    How’s the condition of the rest of the boat?

Send me a pm. I’m interested in taking it off your hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boat is direct drive.

Those prices are a bit absurd - especially for a direct drive with WAY easier access to R&R than a v-drive.

For perspective I had the exact same motor replaced (V-drive) after a winter "faux pas" in I wanna saw 2008. $3750 for a long block installed, complete and out the door with a 3 year warranty. Actually bumped it up to 340hp in the process. There's nothing real magical about it - it's a marine small block chevy. Sure that was a long time ago, prices are up - everything costs more, but triple to quadruple?

For an older boat out of warranty never take it to a dealership unless you like paying crazy markups for engine work. At least around here they rarely do their own work - they farm it out. I found out what shop they use and went direct to them. This is the same shop that will swap out motors in the Sherrif's jet sleds with a 24-48 hour turn around so they're good at what they do.

I would be willing to travel and drop the boat at a reputable shop for the right price. Or if you are feeling mechanically inclined and want to play with a little more fire, have a look at one of these: https://blueprintengines.com/collect...-block-engines

You'd be amazed what a few buddies and a case of beer can accomplish.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...